• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar Leather Looking for Recommendations on M-445A Jacket

mulceber

Both, I think. And “outside” of the knits, the HLB M-445A had shearling cuffs, whereas some AN-J-4s had shearling, some leather.

Brent

Okay, so I didn't.see them on Jorge's jacket. So should these be included? Are they on the HLB contract? Thinking it might be nice to have. Maybe just use to knit cuffs from the G-1 and A-2. Just trying to learn something here.

Regards,

mulceber

I just went and double checked. None of the HLB pics I’ve seen show the interior of the cuff, so I don’t know for sure that it had storm cuffs. HLB was apparently one of the later M-445A contracts, and all the other M-445As that I’ve seen pictures of have the knit cuffs, so I think the HLB one would as well, since I’d think that would be a feature they would want to keep. Maybe @Jorgeenriqueaguilera can tell us.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Sorry guys, I just saw this. It has knit cuffs sewn inside. The material looks the same as the one found in the M422’s cuffs.

Front
ECF376E4-59DD-4564-A162-6DDAF4420F8C.jpeg

Upper
9C38E1FC-F490-4C43-909F-2988B5C11732.jpeg
Lower
E3DCC406-9110-4589-B7B9-91E6719647D8.jpeg

John Lever

Buy an original to get the details, don't copy any repros as the patterns are often a poor. The best place to find one is Yahoo Japan. Mint examples are expensive but there are affordable rough ones with damage.
I assume the version you like is the one with diamond arm patches trimmed in seal goat skin with no belt buttons ,sheepskin cuffs ? This has the full length zip right up to the throat as does the m444. This is very difficult to construct, I have never owned one that I could zip right up, the zip goes through a significant change in direction putting strain on the track so it jams.
The other version is identical to the Anj4 in all but very minor details.
These jackets seem to have all been made from electrified sheepskin, straight shiny fleece, no crimp or fuzz at all. This determines how it reflects and scatters light to give a deep colour and lustre. They are often almost golden brown. Fleece length from 18 to 20 mm.
I have had originals and repros from RMNZ and The Few. Buzz Ricksons make one, but I havent seen it.
None of the repros have a zip that iis uesable and are very bulky all round.
I very much doubt it is possible to make a buget version.

Shawn Ali

Hi Dear Friends

That was really a great contribution from the friends in just few days it became possible to make this jacket, some points already updated after having some suggestions directly at my PM from some friends I really appreciated their help.

Please find some detailed photos of the M455A Jacket which we try our best to make according to the original design, any suggestions to improve and Design its Label are highly requested

First Prototype images below
DSC_5352 copy.jpg

DSC_5351 copy.JPG

DSC_5358 copy.JPG

DSC_5359 copy.JPG

DSC_5355 copy.jpg
DSC_5360 copy.JPG

Suggestions Please

Best Regards

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC_5350 copy.JPG
    912.1 KB · Views: 158

Shawn Ali

Mr. Ties and Mr. Jan strongly suggested to improve the width of the Collar as according to the B3, As this Jackets first prototype was 11 cm wide, but after have the suggestions we totally changed its collar to 13cm width which is equal to B3 collar Width,
Please find some images after improving the collar below

Collar amendment
121509308_858559048285357_2789372328664770007_n.jpg

121511461_379980910050333_5011956882795180147_n.jpg
121532078_2693561240962305_4605984637927077911_n.jpg

More images after collar amendment's
DSC_5521 copy.jpg

DSC_5524 copy.jpg
DSC_5528 copy.jpg
DSC_5514 copy.jpg

Any suggestions will be highly recommended

Best Regards

Shawn

mulceber

I think the collar is closer, but still not quite there. I'm not sure if it's now a bit too wide, or if the collar tips are too angular (Jorge's jacket seems to have rather rounded collar tips), but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I'll look forward to hearing what other people think.

That said, I think the collar as it is now would be great for an AN-J-4.

Regarding the label, I'd look at the pics from the original Jorge posted here: https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...rp-n-y-spec-m-445a-heavy-winter-jacket.25003/ He has got a good, clear picture of what the label looks like.

B-Man2

I’Ll agree with Mulceber’s opinion as well. That m-445 collar is just a bit off, and I think it’s the collar tips as well . Covers just a bit too much of the shoulders.

mulceber

Shouldn't the windflap be a more rounded at the top?

Regards,

Yep, but that’s an easy fix.
Pocket size and placement good here?

Regards,

Placement looks good to me, but they look a bit tall. I’d shorten the pockets by about a half inch.

Also, we’ve said this before, but it bears repeating: it feels bad to have Shawn post these beautifully constructed jackets and say “ok, nice, but x, y, and z are wrong.” This is a great looking jacket, Shawn, and it’s really impressive that you were able to come this close on the first attempt with both the B-3 and the M-445A.

Last edited: