• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fivestar Leather Jacket inspired by Amelia Earhart

Skyhawk

Sorry guys, let's not make a tempest out of a teapot.
It's honorable that you assist your buddy, but I can't quite understand the outrage.

There is a thread from Skyhawk advertising a campaign to fund a women's model based on the original. The campaign (2016) was unsuccessful and it does not appear that anything beyond the prototype is being marketed seriously. But I may be wrong.
This thread contains images that can be found in large numbers and different sources using Google Image Search.
The remaining pages of the thread deal with research on the original manufacturer and how the label looked and where an original could still be seen. Everything irrelevant for me personally. So I don't see why I could have benefited from the details of this thread.

Nevertheless, I am grateful for this thread, because I discovered the image of the original jacket, which inspired me. To make it clear: it was not the picture of the prototype of Skyhawk which inspired me.
My wish was to get a copy (not necessarily 1: 1) of the original according to my measurements. Explicitly: I didn't want a copy of a copy.
All this quickly and with a manageable investment, since I have no idea whether I like this type of jacket and I don't want to wait long.

I was glad to have found a manufacturer here in the forum who can produce something very quickly and easily according to my measurements. Admittedly, I didn't do any further research to see who else made everything to measure. I know that many only adjust in length.
The manufacturer got the picture of the original jacket from me and some other pictures that can be found in a few minutes if you master Google Image Search. So it was not the order to make a copy of the copy, but to make a copy of the original.

If this is unethical, ok, call me unethical.
But please don't blame the manufacturer. It is not his fault.

If every established jacket manufacturer can/is allowed to copy originals, why should an aspiring, motivated and very committed new market participant not?
And to make this clear: it is not a question of thousands of jackets of this type flooding the market. It's about a single jacket and maybe a few more if someone else feels the need for such a jacket.

My mistake was probably in mentioning the thread of Skyhawk and thanking for it.
Or maybe it's just my bad English, which makes me misunderstand some things or I phrase wrong (sorry for that).
Maybe also elitist thinking here in the forum.

If there is still interest, I would continue to report. Otherwise I withdraw and only read.
Yep your wrong. Over 15K views on the thread with updates, and the jacket has been on the HW webite for 2 years. Unethical? Maybe not in the big scheme of things. Not cool to post a "look what I made" thread on a forum where there has been so much discussion about my tireless research of five years, In my opinion, yes.

MrProper

Let's just call it the cliff notes version of the essay question on the test. You always miss things when you are not the one who did the studying,

Just from the one pic I can see that it is the wrong color, wrong zipper, and is that pressed leather? I don't see much variation in that grain.

Like I said before, I not too worried about a budget version of this jacket being made. Don't expect me to get too excited when it turns out all wrong in the details and materials. You can't expect too much in the way of authenticity when you pay bargain basement prices.

You may not have read my posts, but I haven't written anything else.
I wanted a look a like in a leather and color of my choice. And I also wrote that I don't need a 1:1 repro. And that's why I also wrote that your model and this one don't are going to get in each other's way.
And as I said, I didn't use any other information apart from the original photos (you see the wrong zipper, wrong color, wrong leather)
So I hope that put oil on troubled waters. As you can see, it has become a Relax instead of a Rolax (I think we agree that the metapher Rolex is set for the original from 1930).

MrProper

Yep your wrong. Over 15K views on the thread with updates, and the jacket has been on the HW webite for 2 years. Unethical? Maybe not in the big scheme of things. Not cool to post a "look what I made" thread on a forum where there has been so much discussion about my tireless research of five years, In my opinion, yes.

Yes of course, obviously this thread wasn't the best idea. I had already noticed that the forum is sometimes toxic, but I would not have expected it here.
However, it was not my intention to anger anyone here but the time cannot be turned back and I cannot delete the thread.
I book it as a beginner's mistake. Sorry for that.
Since there are a few interested parties, I will continue to report. Some will be happy and others will have schadenfreude with how bad the copy is. A win win situation.

Technonut2112

I have a couple of the 5-Star jackets in their 1.2mm goat. Quite nice IMO. VERY durable, and comfortable once broken-in. Just about the same thickness as my Aero AN-J-3. One of them is based upon a vintage Field & Stream jacket I liked, but never found in my size on eBay. I have honestly received more compliments on that one when out-n-about than my top-shelf jackets. It was made-to-measure, and 5-Star hit every mark to the 'T', just as they have on the others (5 in total). I have not had any problems at all with the triple-marked Talon repros they use.

adfrost

I ordered a G-1 in russet brown from Five Star. I returned it due to fit and will be getting one with custom measurements, but I was quite pleased with the goat. The finish was kinda meh, but the grain is actually quite nice. Mismatched panels, and on the largest section, the back panel, there was quite bit of grain variance. It was a lot more supple than the goat on my Aero. Wether that’s good or not I guess is up to personal preference. I didn’t take pictures, but its pretty much what was used to make their Doniger, which has been posted about pretty extensively.

I also agree about the talon, although mine was installed with the pull on the left, which was really odd, and I plan on getting corrected. One of my complaints about the non-triple mark talon on my Aero is how hard it is to pull, and the repro talon on the Five Star was better in that regard. If one wants a different zipper, they can get it anyway.

MrProper

It happened yesterday and my FiveStar jacket was delivered. And this time with the exact dimensions I want.
I think I was a real challenge for poor @Shawn Ali with my ideas.
I wanted relatively thick leather, actually horse, but what Shawn currently has is rather thin. But after I discovered the semi veg tanned goatskin here in the forum, the choice was set.
Color a dark seal brown with black knitted cuffs.

But: Shawn didn't have the pattern yet and had to make a new one.
The jacket is somehow a mixture of the front of the G1 (uncovered zipper and pockets with buttons), back of the A2 (one-piece back, no bi-swing) and A1 (knitted cuffs on the neck, ok something like that).
And of course everything with my measurements. I had specified not only length, chest and sleeves, but also armhole size, arm circumference biceps and wrist, neck circumference, waist and hip.

The first attempt was unfortunately too wide around the hip and waist due to a measurement error by fivestar, but I agreed with Shawn and now I have the jacket exactly as I wanted it.
Absolutely awesome.

How the leather behaves for a long time, of course, I can not say yet, but I am confident.

It has taken a while now, but in view of my special requests it is not surprising.

In any case, there is my unreserved recommendation for Shawn FiveStar Leather. Price / performance is top and not everyone needs the high end 100% copy. Those then go to other manufacturers anyway.

By the way ... I already have ideas for another jacket, but I'm not sure if @Shawn Ali will get involved again ;)

fit pics are coming later. BDAE10B8-ADB6-49C6-80FC-D18D692C3189.jpeg2DA1F29E-65CD-44F5-BB28-BA0C2EA27BB1.jpegACA9A6D1-EFCB-4243-9261-1E1D56EBF461.jpeg38CEE12A-49A5-48C5-A617-D65AA905D63E.jpeg6FAD30CA-4102-457C-B5CF-3B466EF7B979.jpeg

bseal

I believe this thread was only to serve one purpose, to share the joy of your project with the forum.

It brings joy to me too and subjectively to my eye looks better than the “Aviatrix” from a nervous Nellie who tried to hijack your thread and make it all about him. No one has secured the limited rights to copy the jacket from the still unknown manufacturer.

in addition, I appreciate that you gave Shawn the credit where due as opposed to not fairly crediting the craftsmen in India who brought the other manufacturer’s iteration to fruition.

Moreover, to be fair, GW had actually rolled out a winner prototype years before the “New Kid on the Block.” Ironically enough the proprietor of GW turns out to be a relative of the famous pilot.

Last edited:

busdrivermike

The filter shots really bring out the character of the leather o_O Looks amazing
I’m planning on asking Shawn when he receives my jacket to use a good
Thick goat with character, hides from the ugliest meanest toughest ones.

Bombing IP

I do not post anymore but I must say Jay from Headwind your comments are bad form . Almost insecure in nature ,Jay you know what you put into your jackets and so do we so why tell or critisise the competition . I have never seen John Chapman ever reply to a compliment or critism of his work no need his work is his walk the walk . I have been turned off with the behaviour of Aero and DD BK and the like of late. Jay do not fall into the same hole ,please its crass .

Last edited:

Skyhawk

I do not post anymore but I must say Jay from Headwind your comments are bad form . Almost insecure in nature ,Jay you know what you put into your jackets and so do we so why tell or critisise the competition . I have never seen John Chapman ever reply to a compliment or critism of his work no need his work is his walk the walk . I have been turned off with the behaviour of Aero and DD BK and the like of late. Jay do not fall into the same hole ,please its crass .

I understand your view and those comments were a bit out of character for me. Chock it up to shock and a very bad and stressful few months. I said I would not make any more comments on this issue and that was a month ago. Can we just move on and know that in the future I will not let my emotions get the best of me in these types of situations?

Bringing this back to the jacket, Mr Proper I am glad you are happy with your new jacket. The fit is great and I like that liner color. It reminds me of some G-1 jackets that I have owned.

All The Best,
Jay

Cogerrunt

Hi Jay. Are you back up and running with jacket making? Or still in recovery after your illness. Don't want to place order if your still convalescencing. Norman.