• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiveStar leather "helmet" bag

ties70

A new product from FiveStar:

IMG_20200401_1351331.jpg

Shawn made these in collaboration with our own @Thomas Koehle .

It's made in super nice and soft leather, red lining (you could get it lined in A-2 shades as well, of course), Talon zipper and sturdy canvas tape. Inside pouches for mobile or sunglasses.

The label is taken after original bags, and I personally think that Shawn's guys have made a terrific job:

IMG_20200401_1627408.jpg

Width is roughly 15.8 inches, so my laptop fits in nicely, with no "dangling around".

And yes, it is far from original canvas or nylon helmet bags, but a rather cool accessory to my daily mixture of flight jacket, denim and boots.

Keep the cool stuff coming, @Shawn Ali !

By the way, I decided to make a kind of semi-official FiveStar "squadron" patch, taking the 310th Troop Carrier and modifying it:

Five stars, a crescent moon, with center star and moon representing the flag of Shawn's home country Pakistan. The caricatured pilot wears an A-2, the large guy a B-10 and the one in the back a B-3... Should go perfectly with the bag!

IMG_20200331_1902318.jpg

Ties

Last edited:

ties70

Otter,

I don't know...I got mine from @Thomas Koehle and I think these were test samples.

Shawn would be the one to ask...

If we take into account that similar bags are available from one of the Chinese makers, I would expect Shawn to sell them on - or slightly below - that price level...

But with his attitude towards customer satisfaction, I would not be surprised if he is open for a bit of a VLJ members' deal...

I have not handled the Chinese bags, so I can't comment on their quality.... FiveStar feels like really good craftsmanship, so if "buying Chinese" is (for various reasons) not an option, then give it a try.

Ties

daw

That's a nice looking leather. Any idea the specific hide type/color? Thinking it might be a good choice for the Five Star Doniger I'm expecting to order soon.

Agree they've done a nice job on this.

Smithy

How far Shawn and 5 Star have come and the way they are going is absolutely brilliant. He just really wants to please his customers and so he's always keen to improve and expand upon what he does.

If he keeps this up and keeps expanding his product selection he might have some of the more established military focused makers worried and especially if money gets tight for people in the coming months and even longer because of CV. Great for us punters though.

And once again you have to take your hat off to someone so keen to just give people what they want.

Rutger

Want one. With Phantom Spook painted on it.

Strings to be pulled, money to be transferred.

Ties, you did that Phantom Spook on a cloth helmet bag a couple years ago for me (Pike brothers, if I recall correctly???), can you do that on this leather as well?

ties70

Want one. With Phantom Spook painted on it.

Strings to be pulled, money to be transferred.

Ties, you did that Phantom Spook on a cloth helmet bag a couple years ago for me (Pike brothers, if I recall correctly???), can you do that on this leather as well?

I don't have the cut-out patterns anymore, but hell yeah, no problem to make them again! I keep all my previous stuff in one large pptx-file....

Cocker

What, water-based Reuzel? Not even the good greasy Green or Pink stuff?? :p

I love what Shawn did there, simple and efficient! There seems to be no end to what this guy can do, or is willing to do.

ties70

What, water-based Reuzel? Not even the good greasy Green or Pink stuff?? :p

I love what Shawn did there, simple and efficient! There seems to be no end to what this guy can do, or is willing to do.

Cedric,

I have never left the entry level area of pomade... Still using the water-based stuff!

The Reuzel can contains something totally different... A couple of USB sticks . My emergency reserve of pomade - to save me on a "bad hair day" - is in my office desk:

Suavecito and Morgan's...

Ties

Ken at Aero Leather

How far Shawn and 5 Star have come and the way they are going is absolutely brilliant. He just really wants to please his customers and so he's always keen to improve and expand upon what he does.

If he keeps this up and keeps expanding his product selection he might have some of the more established military focused makers worried and especially if money gets tight for people in the coming months and even longer because of CV. Great for us punters though.

And once again you have to take your hat off to someone so keen to just give people what they want.

I do hope you all remember the sheer volume of dog's abuse I got when I first recommended 5 Star on here?