• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER G1 JACKET

B-Man2

I'm new here, joined today. I found this website...Vintage Leather Flight jacket forum several months ago when I was searching for some answers to what old G-1 Spec. 55J14 flight jackets might sell for. I have two 55J14 size 40 that was issued to be..one in 1950 and a
nother in 1951 while I was serving on a aircraft carrier during the Korean war. I still have those two jackets, only trouble is they are too small for me now. I wear about size 46 or larger now. These two jackets are in great condition and have been stored in garments bags for the past 30 or more years. I thought about giving them to Goodwill, or to my two grandsons, but, I don't think they will appreciate them as modern day outerwear.

At the same time, I got interested in buying a new (my size) G-1, only to find from searching several websites that make reproductions to get one make the cost would be over a thousand to two thousand dollars. That would be way too much money just to wear a G-1 flight jacket around to several VFW meetings. In my searching, I came across this Five Star Company that appears to be making some fine looking military jackets, and as near to the true images as the old ones I have. Also, the best part of that is the price about $200.00. With that being said, that may be the way I will go to get a new one made.

Anyone have some complaints on the Five Star group?

Hi ya doin guy.
Let me suggest that you check in on the Members Bio Section and tell us a little about yourself. After you do that take a few minutes and look through the sections with the headings of Reproduction Jackets and Reproduction Manufacturers. Everything you need to know about 5 Star Leather will pretty much be in these sections. Also check the Reviews section.
Cheers

Shawn Ali

I'm new here, joined today. I found this website...Vintage Leather Flight jacket forum several months ago when I was searching for some answers to what old G-1 Spec. 55J14 flight jackets might sell for. I have two 55J14 size 40 that was issued to be..one in 1950 and another in 1951 while I was serving on a aircraft carrier during the Korean war. I still have those two jackets, only trouble is they are too small for me now. I wear about size 46 or larger now. These two jackets are in great condition and have been stored in garments bags for the past 30 or more years. I thought about giving them to Goodwill, or to my two grandsons, but, I don't think they will appreciate them as modern day outerwear.

At the same time, I got interested in buying a new (my size) G-1, only to find from searching several websites that make reproductions to get one make the cost would be over a thousand to two thousand dollars. That would be way too much money just to wear a G-1 flight jacket around to several VFW meetings. In my searching, I came across this Five Star Company that appears to be making some fine looking military jackets, and as near to the true images as the old ones I have. Also, the best part of that is the price about $200.00. With that being said, that may be the way I will go to get a new one made.

Anyone have some complaints on the Five Star group?
Hi Dear @B. Willbnks

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

Shawn Ali

Thanks to Mr. Fred who provide me the oppotunity to reproduce a new 55j14 as exactly he found in the Army, Please find his valuable comments below

"Shawn, Perfect, Perfect. Great work you have done. The mouton collar is great also. It will make me feel like I'm in the US Navy again.
Going have to brag on Five Star Company has a military jacket manufacturer.

Thanks,

Fred"

Front 1.jpg
Back.jpg
7.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Shawn Ali

For Price details please contact me at my Shop.. as for every project cost differs, depending upon the leather requirements, Lining Requirements.. Size, Custom Labels or some other custom needs like special mouton Fur colour can change the price of every jacket.

Shawn

Obscurator

For Price details please contact me at my Shop.. as for every project cost differs, depending upon the leather requirements, Lining Requirements.. Size, Custom Labels or some other custom needs like special mouton Fur colour can change the price of every jacket.

Shawn
Is that via your eBay shop, or do you have another means of contact; and, if so, what? I should add that I'm very interested to see what you will do with the shearling D-1 jacket under consideration.

B-Man2

Shawn
Have these new changes been incorporated into the jackets currently being offered on EBay?
Thanks for listening to all our suggestions.

Shawn Ali

Is that via your eBay shop, or do you have another means of contact; and, if so, what? I should add that I'm very interested to see what you will do with the shearling D-1 jacket under consideration.
Yes currently we are offering them on ebay & Amazon... Soon we will have a customised website with a lot of customization offers.. Currently we are working on it once complete I will share its link..

Shawn Ali

Shawn
Have these new changes been incorporated into the jackets currently being offered on EBay?
Thanks for listening to all our suggestions.
These are customised needs.. Yes also available on ebay..
I want to thank you all for providing me the opportunity to have ideas from some great people here who knew the history.. I really Love your company :)

Kennyz

Super nice, Shawn!

Ken

Thanks to Mr. Fred who provide me the oppotunity to reproduce a new 55j14 as exactly he found in the Army, Please find his valuable comments below

"Shawn, Perfect, Perfect. Great work you have done. The mouton collar is great also. It will make me feel like I'm in the US Navy again.
Going have to brag on Five Star Company has a military jacket manufacturer.

Thanks,

Fred"

View attachment 11648 View attachment 11649 View attachment 11650 View attachment 11651 View attachment 11652 View attachment 11653

Ken at Aero Leather

I hope you guys all remember the dogs abuse I got when I outed Five Star as using (or being) the same factory as AVI?
Even Shawn's factory kicked off.

Saved you all a good few ££££s as it happens.

Shawn Ali

I hope you guys all remember the dogs abuse I got when I outed Five Star as using (or being) the same factory as AVI?
Even Shawn's factory kicked off.

Saved you all a good few ££££s as it happens.
Sorry if I didn't get you..
Can you please explain more....
Our leathers are 100℅ as authentic as we explains.. We select them from pickle to Tanning and to end garment preparations....

johnwayne

Don't wish to sound negative but the under collar tab looks totally wrong and why is the jacket so boxy ie not tapered to the waist more? Most guys waists are smaller than their chests on average I guess by poss some 10"albeit maybe not for some as we get older!!

Teddy

I'd like to point out that the jacket looks a bit off to me also because of the leather, which in the lighting looks a bit off? And how does the tannery process the goatskin because it doesn't look like it's got the potential to develop?

Take the leather on mine as an example:
EZDsKQf.jpg

Technonut2112

I'd like to point out that the jacket looks a bit off to me also because of the leather, which in the lighting looks a bit off? And how does the tannery process the goatskin because it doesn't look like it's got the potential to develop?

Take the leather on mine as an example:
EZDsKQf.jpg

The difference may be that yours runs around $800.00 USD, and the 5-Star around $150.00 USD.. ;) Can you show me a better brand new G-1 for the price?

EDIT: As for 5-Star's goat developing, I already tried the acetone-test on one of my 1.2mm goats (the leather on the zip pull-tab is EXACTLY 1.2mm thick when measured as well), and was quite pleased with the lighter brown undertones that some hard wear will bring :cool::

DSCF0631.JPG

Last edited:

Technonut2112

Don't wish to sound negative but the under collar tab looks totally wrong and why is the jacket so boxy ie not tapered to the waist more? Most guys waists are smaller than their chests on average I guess by poss some 10"albeit maybe not for some as we get older!!

I'm sure that Shawn can take care of those things if you're interested in making a purchase.. ;)

Teddy

@Technonut2112 Yes. 5x the price difference to pay for great craftsmanship from great makers and a good conscience to sleep at night for not over-consuming or feeding into over-production and unregulated pollution. Not 5x. I'd do it for 10x.

ties70

@Technonut2112 Yes. 5x the price difference to pay for great craftsmanship from great makers and a good conscience to sleep at night for not over-consuming or feeding into over-production and unregulated pollution. Not 5x. I'd do it for 10x.

Nkang,

Not sure why I seem to defend Fivestar so often, but obviously I do.

You might have a point regarding "unregulated pollution". We could possibly assume that environmental regulations in Pakistan are less strict than in the EU or the US. At least when it comes to sectors like tanning, chemical products etc.

Are we the holy land of ecology? Probably not, see diesel gate in Germany, fracking or climate change denial in the US. We have a tendency to compare our standards and expect third world or developing countries to achieve their growth without making our mistakes .. But anyway, yes I must admit that I share these concerns.

Mentioning good conscience. I actually have that when ordering a Fivestar... It might not be the nicest thing to say but with the political situation in Pakistan, I am happy for everyone working in clothing production and making enough money to support himself. The alternative could easily be being easy bait for radical ideology... In short, when somebody sews an A-2, he has probably no intention to build IEDs instead.

Regarding the G-1, my personal opinion is that this is the best jacket from FiveStar that I have seen so far. Are there better jackets out there? Sure!

Are there better makers? Of course!
But keep in mind where we started some months ago... When the first A-2 pictures of FiveStar's jackets came up, we were comparing them to AVI.... And decided that AVI jackets had a better quality and overall appearance.

Now, some jackets later, the discussion turned into "Oh, their nice but not great craftsmanship like X or Y, and not a great maker anyway..." Seems as if the bar for Shawn's jackets gets constantly raised... Which is OK, as he seems to work his way up the quality - detail - authenticity - ladder with every jacket he is making for members here.

Maybe other makers didn't start as "great makers" as well?

As far as I see it, the learning curve is quite good, especially if you keep in mind that FiveStar's core business was and is making cheapest mall jackets that sometimes are not even made from leather.... If Shawn has the chance to find a niche for better quality jackets (in all possible aspects I did mention above), I will have no issues buying from him.

Best regards,

Ties

Last edited:

Shawn Ali

Dear John Wayne,

Thanks for your concern and highlight this, It looks like the Boxy because the image is taken in Mobile standing at bottom side which represents its lowest side as big, In Reality The Chest is 25 Inches Half, Waist is reduced by 2 Inches and is 23 Inches, and Hem is reduced to 18.5 Inches... Which makes this Jacket tapered Its 100% right according to real please find its images with measuring tape below

CHEST1.jpg

Waist.jpg

Hem.jpg

I think now you can check this Its Tapered