• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER D-1 JACKET

ButteMT61

I haven't read all the posts but I don't think Shawn has ever been criticized truly maybe an overzealous recommendation from a jacket geek or two. It's hard to see what you think is a great jacket (D-1) and thinking after you see the new pictures that for the price it's worth pulling trigger on ,, and figure he's done his homework using an original to go off. But when it arrives the sleeves of all things are way to tubular ! The QC pics he sent looked great and it is a great jacket and the body fit is perfect and that's usually where the top makers stumble..usually to short on the zip(correct but to short for non coverall wear people).It's just real deflating.Like I hope if he makes the sleeves bigger it will be perfect . Sorry for the ramble but....
All good - you've HAD ONE so you're more entitled to an opinion than me! I don't care about this particular jacket as it's not some grail piece, or even one I can wear much... So, for that price, it can be less than perfect is all.

busdrivermike

At Fivestar you get the jacket made to measure, at Noble House you don't.
When in doubt, Shawn definitely has my trust.
Shawn is no doubt very amenable changes, alterations and customer service is top level
That’s why I sent him a jacket to reproduce in my size.
But noble house does offer custom sizes
From their web site
“We offer you the option to customize our jackets.”
The jackets will be produced based on your measurements and your personal wishes.
This allows you to order a personalized jacket wich will be a faithful companion - a whole life long.

The final price for the jacket mainly depends on the number and the complexity of your changes - in general: nearly everything is possible.

Small changes, like custom-tailoring (sleeves, shoulders) cost 25€ per measurement that needs to be altered

Big changes, e.g. change the leathers' color, additional pockets etc cost 50€ per individualization.

The minimal addition is 50€.

mulceber

Yeah, I tend to agree. Three of the four big repro makers have multiple RW contracts each. Two of them have multiple Dubow contracts. IF Shawn was to do a RW or Dubow contract, I'd say it would have to be one of the less common ones, like the 18091 or the 23379, to be worth it. The community doesn't need another 27752 repro.

It'd be better to go for a maker with a classic look, but that is less common.

MrProper

Shawn is no doubt very amenable changes, alterations and customer service is top level
That’s why I sent him a jacket to reproduce in my size.
But noble house does offer custom sizes
From their web site
“We offer you the option to customize our jackets.”
The jackets will be produced based on your measurements and your personal wishes.
This allows you to order a personalized jacket wich will be a faithful companion - a whole life long.

The final price for the jacket mainly depends on the number and the complexity of your changes - in general: nearly everything is possible.

Small changes, like custom-tailoring (sleeves, shoulders) cost 25€ per measurement that needs to be altered

Big changes, e.g. change the leathers' color, additional pockets etc cost 50€ per individualization.

The minimal addition is 50€.

I asked about it last year. Made-to-measure means buying a jacket, trying it on, sending it back and a tailor then makes the jacket tighter. This is not made to measure.

Thomas Koehle

those NOBLE HOUSE D1 ain't looking that bad - i've been at their shop end of last year with my son to look for a jacket for him ...

their shop is a 1 hour drive from my home so no big deal - anyway never heard the produce to specific measurements?

a problem with NOBLE HOUSE their sizes run BIIIIIG - i had a IRVIN in XL which made me swim in there - so check for their dimensions on a sizetable (do not know whether they got one?)

l5db8vf.jpg

ButteMT61

Honestly, the above D-1 looks not like a D-1 to me. I'm very amateur with the sheepies, so that is to be considered, but I would not have guessed that model with that pic to be honest...

mulceber

Hmm...I would have, since the pocket placement is right, but there are a lot of problems there...that shearling thickness looks more appropriate to a B-3, and frankly that collar is only a little short of B-3 width. And I'm not sure what those lateral seams on the sleeves are doing there...

Smithy

Yeah, I tend to agree. Three of the four big repro makers have multiple RW contracts each. Two of them have multiple Dubow contracts. IF Shawn was to do a RW or Dubow contract, I'd say it would have to be one of the less common ones, like the 18091 or the 23379, to be worth it. The community doesn't need another 27752 repro.

It'd be better to go for a maker with a classic look, but that is less common.

I agree entirely Jan. As I think I've mentioned before the one Aero I would love to see Shawn do is the 16160.

I remember talking to JC about them about 12 or 13 years ago and him telling me it was probably one of the most comfortable A-2s out there but at the same time still very sharp looking.

I've never handled one let alone tried one on but they look fantastic in photos being worn. Right up there for me as one of the best "looking".

mulceber

Agreed. Aero 16160 would be a great choice. I’d probably buy one. Anyone got an original, a measuring tape, and a camera?

Pilot

If back collecting “authentic” repros..then only with : A-2’s in HH ...so GW or The Real McCoy’s only ....and if fleece sheepskin repros... : then Goodwear and or again The Real McCoy’s ... ( Japan only ) .... but ...or alternatively a few AERO models are also great ...this IMHO only...
For me John Chapman or The Real McCoy’s are unmatchable in A-2’s, Fleece, Nylons and some cotton’s but/and accuracy in general... No discussion about involved costs... ( sure to be paid) ...ME... I am happy to pay what it takes.... I am not looking for ” deals ...bargains or whatever savings...” I just care for the finest, honest, best, quality...and support all fair trade working economies/forces...

Last edited:

ausreenactor

those NOBLE HOUSE D1 ain't looking that bad - i've been at their shop end of last year with my son to look for a jacket for him ...

their shop is a 1 hour drive from my home so no big deal - anyway never heard the produce to specific measurements?

a problem with NOBLE HOUSE their sizes run BIIIIIG - i had a IRVIN in XL which made me swim in there - so check for their dimensions on a sizetable (do not know whether they got one?)

l5db8vf.jpg
Way too much fleece! Ground crew never get that much 'love'!

Pilot

Almost all RM from Japan have decals
Some have... mostly not.

John Lever

I must be unlucky then as every jacket I have ever bought from Japan has had one. I mean used...I never buy new they are way overpriced.
Just looking on Yahoo now, almost every sheepskin has a decal, I think owners apply them after purchase.