• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER D-1 JACKET

saucerfiend

I agree with John. Shaun needs to reduce the fleece considerably, to about 1/2 inch in the sleeve an waist ends.This will make it look extremely nice and accurate.

Brian

B-Man2

1/2 inch seems a little too small if we’re talking about the width of the fleece line, and not the height of the fleece. Take a look at an ELC D1 photo. Definitely wider than 1/2 inch. Here’s a Real McCoy D1 . I think you guys will agree the fleece line is wider than 1/2 inch. Just an opinion.

• Japan
Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-2-kopie.jpg

Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-4.jpg

Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-6.jpg

Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-5.jpg

Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-1.jpg

Here’s an original for comparison
9CAE508D-74EF-4E84-8147-3407BD448E1A.jpeg

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Gentlemen,

whilst browsing through this thread with al lot of people giving hints to Shawn how to improve i hope he gets rewarded for his efforts somehow with people ordering his D1.

I'm already pretty hot on one and hope i'm able to order in a couple of weeks - first ned to sort the funding my wife's kinda told me my monthly budget for leatherjackets is done ... :)

saucerfiend

1/2 inch seems a little too small if we’re talking about the width of the fleece line, and not the height of the fleece. Take a look at an ELC D1 photo. Definitely wider than 1/2 inch. Here’s a Real McCoy D1 . I think you guys will agree the fleece line is wider than 1/2 inch. Just an opinion.

• Japan
Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-2-kopie.jpg

Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-4.jpg

Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-6.jpg

Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-5.jpg

Type-D-1-Real-McCoy-MFG.Co_.-longjohn-blog-winter-leather-jacket-jack-leatherjack-brown-flight-pilot-1.jpg

Here’s an original for comparison
View attachment 40429
No Burt, I believe 1/2" is best as it IS a Mechanics jacket. Grease and oil on all that fur looks terrible.
THIS looks better: GoodWear Aero D-1
1594488746370.png
1594488746370.png

B-Man2

Point made Brian.The Good Wear looks awesome.
I was looking specifically at the Real McCoys D-1 as it was mentioned as an example and the fleece is definitely longer than 1/2 inch on that one. And then I found a photo of An original D1 and that also looks longer than 1/2 to me. The bottom line is that Shawn can make it any length you want so it will simply be a matter of choice.

John Lever

The original d1 I had had very wide arms (huge)and very shorts fleece 6 mm. Turn up on the cuffs and waist was minimal.
I believe mechanics would often work beneath the airframe arms about their heads. The jacket had to be loose and light.

Otter

Daughter's one is on its way and due Monday, I will take some photos of fit on her and a comparison shot with my very old Aero. Working Monday so don't expect photos till Tuesdays

Clark J

Yep John you’re correct on the big arms on the D-1 !! Shawn needs to make his at least half again bigger !! My arms are on the tight side .

ButteMT61

The original d1 I had had very wide arms (huge)and very shorts fleece 6 mm. Turn up on the cuffs and waist was minimal.
I believe mechanics would often work beneath the airframe arms about their heads. The jacket had to be loose and light.
As I've read over the years here...D-1's often were traded with the pilots' B3/B6's, correct? I asked my dad, and he had a D-1 in USAF working on the B-36, but didn't recall any trades. Too bad he never kept any of his mil stuff...

ButteMT61

But back to D-1 and 5-Star. I was having some feelings of not getting numbers right with not just me, but my son. I think it's hard to get into this when it's pressing 100º daily, and personal life is in a toilet...
I'm def getting one, but wanted to give Shawn a break and reset the whole order.

OTOH, I did order a @LunaReplicas Type 2 NASA jacket, and I'm stoked for that! It's still too hot for that but maybe a couple evenings up in the hills will allow me some new jacket fun. :D

Smithy

But back to D-1 and 5-Star. I was having some feelings of not getting numbers right with not just me, but my son. I think it's hard to get into this when it's pressing 100º daily, and personal life is in a toilet...
I'm def getting one, but wanted to give Shawn a break and reset the whole order.

OTOH, I did order a @LunaReplicas Type 2 NASA jacket, and I'm stoked for that! It's still too hot for that but maybe a couple evenings up in the hills will allow me some new jacket fun. :D

Post some pics when it turns up Scott. One thing I don't miss about Melbourne is the 100+ summer days.

Clark J

I would say to anyone until Shawn fixes the three items or at least makes the sleeves at least half as big (just way to tight on the arms !!) I would wait on one !!!!! You will be disappointed !!

daw

I would say to anyone until Shawn fixes the three items or at least makes the sleeves at least half as big (just way to tight on the arms !!) I would wait on one !!!!! You will be disappointed !!

Are you going to see about sending it back to redo the arms? Is that possible?