• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER D-1 JACKET

stanier

I wonder if there's a typo or misunderstanding somewhere. No more than 10mm max on a D-1 as John says, and the lovely pic Shawn posted looks in that region and on a par with ELC. Certainly doesn't look B-3 length.

mulceber

That’s what I would want for my northern Alberta winter weather

True, but that's why we're all waiting on that B-3, which is supposed to be that length. The D-1 is a lighter jacket.

I suspect once Shawn got the new shearling in for the B-3, his first inclination was to try it out on making a D-1, since he already had the pattern for that. If there wasn't some misunderstanding, and his D-1 shearling actually is 18-20 mm, then that's gonna be an improvement to be made later.

Last edited:

Shawn Ali

Hi Dear VLJ Friends

I studied all of your great inputs, feedback and all the details carefully, I am also aware about the thickness of the D1 and B3, But some buyers who buy the D1 they were more interested in The Bigger hairs so I made this accordingly, But I have the right small Hairs Fleece for the D1's as well, Now Its the buyers wish with what Hair Length they want to proceed, Below is the comparison of our both fleece hair lengths and both are in stock

More Heavier Fleece Images
Thick Hairs Sheep  1.jpg

Thick Hairs Sheep.jpg
Thick Hairs Sheep 2.jpg

These were some Images of our Bigger hairs Fleece with a Hair Length of 18mm to 20 mm.

Below are some images of our Relatively small hairs fleece images
Thin Hairs Sheep.jpg

Thin Hairs Sheep1.jpg

Thin Hairs Sheep 2.jpg

These Skin's have almost half hair's length than the thicker fleece, now its totally depends on buyers which thickness they prefers as we can make this in either in thicker fleece or Thinner Fleece.

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

@Shawn Ali What's the thickness on the shearling? I don't recall the actual measurements, but I know Eastman runs thinner than Aero and it would be nice to know where yours sits on the spectrum. It would affect warmth & wearability/fit.
Hi Dear @adfrost

For thicker side I have 18-20 mm thick fleece, for thinner side I have almost 10 mm thick fleece.

Best Regards

Shawn

Adama36

Shawn,

how would the thickness of the fleece affect the price of the jacket? Basically, would a jacket with a 10 mm fleece be cheaper than a jacket with the 20mm fleece.

Thanks

Shawn Ali

Shawn,

how would the thickness of the fleece affect the price of the jacket? Basically, would a jacket with a 10 mm fleece be cheaper than a jacket with the 20mm fleece.

Thanks
Dear @Adama36

Thanks for this great question, There is only the hair length difference but quality and price of the leather is same, Same our supplier charged as similarly same we will charge.

Best Regards

Shawn

Clark J

Shawn how thick is the one your sending me ? I would’ve chosen the thinner fleece and was unaware you had different thicknesses

Clark J

Well hell I wish this would have came up before I ordered !! Looking at Shawn’s pickoff the new hide I figured it would be a thinner D-1 type sheepskin !!

Smithy

I wouldn’t be too worried. From everything I’ve seen of Shawn’s business practices, it’ll all work out in the end.
Well, that and it's better to contact Shawn via email than post problems here...just my 2¢

Couldn't agree more with both comments. A quick email to Shawn to ensure that you're getting the thin fleece is probably all that's needed. If absolute worse came to worse, Shawn has proven that he'll bend over backwards to make his punters happy.

If I was after a D-1 I wouldn't even consider one from another maker now. Full sizing customisation, cheaper than all the other big guns by some margin and seems to look utterly fantastic from the photos.

I really want to see Shawn get hold of a couple of other A-2 contracts like a RW now.