• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER D-1 JACKET

sliuman

Mine is on the way! Monday hopefully.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 6.51.54 PM.jpg

FreddyF9

Probably it’s just the picture, I already have some leather samples from Shawn of his 10 mm sheepskin and some other leathers

sliuman

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near the expert that many are here so the correct colours are a mystery to me. I like leather jackets (initially it was the B-3 that interested me until I realised it might be too bulky on my 5 ft 2 in frame). It was only because I joined this forum that I discovered the mid-range option that is Fivestar as the more noted vendors are out of my budget range. When I saw the D-1 was on the way on FB and here, it said buy me, so I did! I'll post pics as soon as it lands. Here's more pics from Shawn. Are these more representative of the correct colour? Cheers

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 6.51.57 PM.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-17 at 6.51.56 PM.jpg

FreddyF9

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near the expert that many are here so the correct colours are a mystery to me. I like leather jackets (initially it was the B-3 that interested me until I realised it might be too bulky on my 5 ft 2 in frame). It was only because I joined this forum that I discovered the mid-range option that is Fivestar as the more noted vendors are out of my budget range. When I saw the D-1 was on the way on FB and here, it said buy me, so I did! I'll post pics as soon as it lands. Here's more pics from Shawn. Are these more representative of the correct colour? Cheers

View attachment 64563View attachment 64564
Here it looks beautiful! Way better colors ;)
Believe me, there are few places where you car really wear a B-3 as it deserves (even in winter), the lighter D-1 is an excellent alternative.
Do you have any other pictures of the jacket to share?

sliuman

Well, it has arrived. Very happy. This is my first experience with Fivestar and it has been very pleasant. Size C (42-44 inch chest on a 50-inch jacket) according to Fivestar's size chart for the jacket.

I had the sleeves shortened to 23 inches from 26 inches and while a tad long, suits me. As I have an extremely large chest for my short height I should have had the waist tapered to perhaps 46-48 inches as it now sticks out from my stomach (I blame overeating!), but that's also because I have slim hips so the boxy cut of the jacket and eventual fit was something I was willing to accept. I also did not want to give Shawn's team too much work by altering the pattern and perhaps wasting leather.

Maybe some side straps, while not accurate, might help here. Something to investigate later, perhaps.

I'll include some shots as the jacket is now, but please forgive the splotchy mirrors and poorly focused bathroom/living room photography! I didn't want to trouble the wife by asking her to take photos of my latest folly! Pics taken in warm white LED lighting and halogen lighting with no flash but are fairly accurate.

The jacket fits well on the upper body with room to move. I dislike tight jackets, so this is perfect and layering is possible. Though as I've yet to test this in any serious cold weather the warmth of a D-1 is an unknown factor. The fit of the sleeves are good too and do not grip my arms. The lightness of the jacket was a surprise, but I have been assured by Shawn this is accurate to the original. With the collar up it just covers my mouth and not half my head, so another plus point. Two spare zip pulls (I presume) are included for use later in the jacket's life.

Now for a sorry side tale. At the beginning of the year, I ordered a so-called "B-3" from an etsy vendor that ending up being a total mistake. The faux fur lining (I know, I know, what was I thinking!?) was like a fleece that gripped me all over on a jacket that was already tight. And because it was not a single piece of skin, the lining tended to move slightly which was uncomfortable and made taking it off very difficult. The design was also all wrong. A waste of US$150! I kept the jacket but the disappointment taught me that my research should have been more thorough and VLJ has helped immensely. What a waste of US$150! The etsy seller was also in Pakistan, and while it tried to accommodate my requests the jacket had fit issues that belied its tailor-made claims. Compared to Fivestar and its commitment to quality and customer service, the etsy firm is worlds apart. I'll admit I did not contact the firm because the hassle of sending it back was more than it was worth, so I put it down as a life lesson.

However, Shawn came to my rescue and his updates on the jacket's progress show that good communication is paramount. And in this case worked out for me mostly perfectly.

Fivestar gets my vote and if I order any more military leatherwear I know who will get my money.

Opionions/comments/advice all welcome.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_9830edit.JPEG

IMG_9835edit.jpg

IMG_9841edit.JPEG

Last edited: