• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER D-1 JACKET

Shawn Ali

Hi Everyone

Please find some images comparison of our Thicker Fleece D1's and Thinner Fleece D1's, its sleeves are now as Big as Original Jackets, but due to Heavy Fleece on the sleeves some people find this a more tighter sleeves than expected.
DSC_6855 copy.jpg
DSC_6856 copy.JPG
DSC_6860 copy.JPG

Best Regards

Shawn

busdrivermike

Thank you @Shawn Ali the pics actually show clearly the difference between the thinner and heavier
Fleece jackets sleeves ,Shoulders and bodies that shows they would both fit and wear/move very differently.
If a person wants a thicker fleece model they would basically need to go up a size and stipulate arm measurements
To ensure a even larger customized sleeve diameter to get a proper loose relaxed fit as an original would have had
I think I would require a nearly 6xl to get a loose relaxed fit as seen with originals in photos

busdrivermike

I think the jacket looks great , I think the recent pics Shawn posted look awesome and for me
Nail down the thinner fleece and smother finish as the choice for me
I like that Shawn offers both options for customers, nothing wrong with offering custom options
For those that want them, personal fit style is more important then historically accurate for many people
The only thing for me is fit , the original D1 looks like a jacket you can do pinwheels with your
Arms, reach the top back of a grocery shelf while fully zipped, do your best Clark Griswold put
Up the Christmas lights jacket.
The shoulder seams drooping onto the deltoids waist loose to allow a tool or two on the belt
A loosey goosey relaxed fit, again maybe not what everyone wants.

Last edited:

Cocker

Same here, for me, the thinner fleece looks really great compared to what ELC or McCoy are offering in terms of D-1. I guess the body and cuffs fleece trims could be a bit shorter compared to wartime pictures of D-1.

I was offered the new thinner fleece but decided I wanted to go with the older, fluffier, 10mm one. Just a matter of personnal preference. I don't care if it's a bang-on repro or not, but I do care that I'm now facing colder temperatures with a jacket that's warm, comfortable, looks amazing, very well put together, with a bang-on fit and for a fraction of the price of the higher ends offerings.

Regarding the arms issue, as I stated previously, this was only a problem with the very heavy wool CPO shirt from Pike Brothers. The shirt is very stiff, and more than anything else, this was the problem. I wore it wih heavy wool racing jumpers, a wool submariner from Outdoor Knitwear, flannel shirts, and had no issues with these.

Shawn, thanks again, you did an amazing job!

Bombing IP

I think there are very few pictures of actual brand new D1 jackets in WW2 ,what we tend to see are beaten down dirty stretched because of heavy use . Which look quite different to what was issued . Comparing what Five Star offer to the actual real deal will look quite different . I think the Five Star D1 jackets looks good and are close to what they need to be.,We have the usual naysayers comments ,but never any constructive critique that we can analyse and may be agree with . I get it you do not like Five Star thank you that was most helpful .

BIP

Last edited:

busdrivermike

Same here, for me, the thinner fleece looks really great compared to what ELC or McCoy are offering in terms of D-1. I guess the body and cuffs fleece trims could be a bit shorter compared to wartime pictures of D-1.

I was offered the new thinner fleece but decided I wanted to go with the older, fluffier, 10mm one. Just a matter of personnal preference. I don't care if it's a bang-on repro or not, but I do care that I'm now facing colder temperatures with a jacket that's warm, comfortable, looks amazing, very well put together, with a bang-on fit and for a fraction of the price of the higher ends offerings.

Regarding the arms issue, as I stated previously, this was only a problem with the very heavy wool CPO shirt from Pike Brothers. The shirt is very stiff, and more than anything else, this was the problem. I wore it wih heavy wool racing jumpers, a wool submariner from Outdoor Knitwear, flannel shirts, and had no issues with these.

Shawn, thanks again, you did an amazing job!
I know myself I was leaning towards thicker fleece but thought I got my noble house with that already
So a lighter fleece for days when the b3 is just too much is what I want and I prefer the smooth finish as well
I figured I measure myself with a heavy insulated carhartt hoodie to ensure a relaxed fit
And Being a noble house guy I’m not into the accuracy, I was gonna have a couple custom ideas for shawn
Black or dark brown pockets not white, large zip , waist adjustment's to get it just where I want it in case I’m in the wind
And I’d thought About elbow protection also. Make it my own D1 since I’m gonna wear it
But I have to wait and I’m told patience is a virtue

mulceber

As iˋm quite new to repro jackets - how warm keeps a d-1 jacket ? In comparison to a n-1 deck jacket or a b6 jacket?

A cloth jacket like an N-1 won’t be as warm as shearling. D-1s and B-6s are sort of in the second tier of warmth below the thicker B-3 and Irvin. Still quite warm though, and, if worn with other appropriate clothing, probably good down to -10 or -15 Celsius.

Grant

Having owned both, I find the N-1 much warmer and practical than a D-1. The think alpaca lining is much more insulating than the lighter, thinner cut D-1. Also the short cut D-1 cut wide around the waist allows cold air to seep in. IMHO, not even close. Also the Bedford cord repels water where as sheepskin just soaks it up. The USN knew what they were doing!

Members online

Latest posts