• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER D-1 JACKET

sliuman

Can't really say as to the quality of the hardware, as I'm not an expert on vintage clothing. It was the style of the jacket that appealed to me. I can say that the zip pull is a little loose and can twist around but I can live with it. The buckle on the collar strap appears to do the job. Some pics below.

IMG_9854.JPEG

IMG_9855.JPEG
IMG_9856.JPEG

I think the hardware should last me since the type of action I'm likely to put this jacket through will not be in the service of aircraft or vehicles in wartime, lol!

Could these have been improved? Advice welcomed. Are there better options available from Fivestar?

Generally the jacket seems well put together. There are no loose seams that I can see at a cursory glance. The leather seems nice but this is my first sheepskin jacket so my knowledge is limited. It has a slight leather aroma and there are no other odours of any sort.

It weighs just under 3.5lb and is very comfortable to wear. I have to say that what I imagined as I looked at this jacket in pictures on the website and Shawn's progress pics is what I got when I put this on. Shawn assures me looseness at the waist is a good thing and normal, and while I have seen vintage photos where the waist is tight to the body, I prefer the looseness. Perhaps I should have been more emphatic about it being a tad smaller at 48 inches rather than the 50 inches it is now but it's a minor matter for me.

Despite this hiccup, I'm very happy with the jacket for the US$490 it cost me and based on the level of expected use. Budget restraints mean I could never buy from the higher-end manufacturers, so this is a perfect mid-range effort for me. As to longevity only time will tell, haha!

This is my first vintage military-style leather jacket though I do own about 10 jackets and coats made by Alpha Industries (non vintage) and even a Buzz Rickson William Gibson Black MA-1 (my favourite jacket!), but I can say that Fivestar's D-1 is a keeper.

If others have one on order I would love to see them here.

Cheers all

Steve

daw

Looks well put together. I like my coats a little tighter but that's an individual thing.

Thanks for the pictures and review!

Peter242

That´s also my point of view. I like also tight fitting jacket - and was one step before ordering the D-1.

After seeing the review and the pics of @sliuman (Thanks for this !) - i´m unsure what to do.

The original Fit of a D-1 seems to be more on the looser side- understandable as it was a jacket for hard working mechanics. Also the size-chars shows that the cut of Shawn´s D1 very wide at the waist. So now i´m between:
1 - heavy altering the cut of shawn´s D-1 - but then its not any more a Werber (probably even not a D-1)
2 - Wainting for the B-6
3- Choosing a B-3- but that would be a total differnt jacket

tda003

I recently posted a picture on US Militaria of a group of airmen and pilots taken in the Aleutions during WWII and wearing an assortment of jackets including A-2, B-3 and D-1 jackets. I did so after watching a documentary on the war in the Pzcific showing a segment on the action during that time in Alaska. One of the members there posted a reply which included a different,John Huston, documentary filmed of the same Aleution campaign. The photo and films showed dozens of GIs wearing D-1 jackets. I submit that those more accurately represent how contemporary pilots and ground crew wore their D-1 jackets. It certainly shows how I intend to have mine fit when I order mine. The fit is relatively trim. Finally, every jacket ordered currently is likely not being worn for re-enacting purposes and is, at least for me, a fashionably utilitarian statement and, regardless, will be recognized by a very few observers as a D-1 jacket and will note its fit rather than an accurate depiction of an 80 year old design, so order them in a size and with modifications that suit you.
Phew! That tired me out. So if I'm to be burned at the stake, you'll have to bring your own firewood.

sliuman

I would like to share my thoughts on the shape and fit of the Werber D-1 from Fivestar Leather as it pertains to my body type, so please forgive the following ramblings.

As far as I am aware the jacket specs are as Shawn measured from the original.

In this light it should also be emphasised that since my teenage years my body shape has been a difficult one to accommodate when buying clothes. As I have said before I am only 5 feet 2 inches tall and weigh about 155-160 lbs. However, I'm very barrel-chested with a chest measurement of 44-45 inches tapering to a waist of 29-30 inches under a bit of a tummy. In the past my chest has measured 46 to 48 inches! If you imagine a drawing of a short superhero you will get the idea. haha. Nothing fits me normally.

Because of my chest size my arms are shorter and average 20 inches, so 23-inch sleeves were requested (I prefer sleeves to reach my knuckles) rather than the stated 26 inches for a size "C". This may be a factor in the look of my jacket. Any shirts or jackets I buy off the rack will be XL-XXL in size and are typically voluminous from the chest down with sleeves six to eight inches too long, and this has been my clothing curse for decades.

Anyway, combine this with a flat bottom and my already slim hips and the result is a difference of some 15 inches from a perfect fit across the chest (for me) to the seemingly overlarge circumference at the jacket's waist -- which Shawn stated to me via whatsapp was definitely 25 inches from side to side or 50 inches in the round as on his recently acquired D-1. I think this is what accounts for the very baggy look of my jacket's waist. Add into the mix, the fact the jacket had only been out of the box for a day when the pictures of me wearing it were taken and it may still need time to settle in.

Others buyers with fuller waists and hips -- and subsequently more meat on their bones -- may find the jacket in its regular cut perfectly suited to their body types. From some of the comments above a number of posters are on the fence about this. I hope people are not dissuaded from buying this jacket because of how it looks based on my unusual requirements. But by all means if you want a tailored look with a more nipped-in waist then jump in and tell Shawn your needs. Previous posts on this site indicate he will bend over backwards to take care of his clients.

The boxy cut of the original is what attracted me to this jacket and I accepted the look according to the jacket's size chart despite my own physical peculiarities. I chose not to have the waist taken in because I personally felt this would highlight my tummy (it still does, lol) and would detract from the original styling. As said in a previous post tight clothing is not for me and ease of movement and comfort is what I'm looking for, even though wartime photos (many on this site) usually show jackets of this type to be very well fitted.

As a thinner sheepskin jacket for wearing in milder winter climates, this will do me fine. However, a hoodie worn under it (would this be sacrilegious?) may pack it out a few inches at the waist and give it a fuller appearance. I've also been told this style was worn over A2s for added warmth as well.

I'm not a re-enactor or a hound for vintage original or replica wartime clothing and have never served in the armed forces, but I like the simplicity of a lot of military clothing so when I saw this, I bought it.

For the record, I live in Hong Kong and have no affiliation with Pakistan-based Fivestar Leather. This is the first reproduction jacket I have bought from them, and in my admittedly untutored and inexperienced opinion, it's just what I was looking for.

If you have got to the end of this then I can't wait to see examples of what others buy!

Cheers

Steve

Peter242

I would like to share my thoughts on the shape and fit of the Werber D-1 from Fivestar Leather as it pertains to my body type, so please forgive the following ramblings.

As far as I am aware the jacket specs are as Shawn measured from the original.

In this light it should also be emphasised that since my teenage years my body shape has been a difficult one to accommodate when buying clothes. As I have said before I am only 5 feet 2 inches tall and weigh about 155-160 lbs. However, I'm very barrel-chested with a chest measurement of 44-45 inches tapering to a waist of 29-30 inches under a bit of a tummy. In the past my chest has measured 46 to 48 inches! If you imagine a drawing of a short superhero you will get the idea. haha. Nothing fits me normally.

Because of my chest size my arms are shorter and average 20 inches, so 23-inch sleeves were requested (I prefer sleeves to reach my knuckles) rather than the stated 26 inches for a size "C". This may be a factor in the look of my jacket. Any shirts or jackets I buy off the rack will be XL-XXL in size and are typically voluminous from the chest down with sleeves six to eight inches too long, and this has been my clothing curse for decades.

Anyway, combine this with a flat bottom and my already slim hips and the result is a difference of some 15 inches from a perfect fit across the chest (for me) to the seemingly overlarge circumference at the jacket's waist -- which Shawn stated to me via whatsapp was definitely 25 inches from side to side or 50 inches in the round as on his recently acquired D-1. I think this is what accounts for the very baggy look of my jacket's waist. Add into the mix, the fact the jacket had only been out of the box for a day when the pictures of me wearing it were taken and it may still need time to settle in.

Others buyers with fuller waists and hips -- and subsequently more meat on their bones -- may find the jacket in its regular cut perfectly suited to their body types. From some of the comments above a number of posters are on the fence about this. I hope people are not dissuaded from buying this jacket because of how it looks based on my unusual requirements. But by all means if you want a tailored look with a more nipped-in waist then jump in and tell Shawn your needs. Previous posts on this site indicate he will bend over backwards to take care of his clients.

The boxy cut of the original is what attracted me to this jacket and I accepted the look according to the jacket's size chart despite my own physical peculiarities. I chose not to have the waist taken in because I personally felt this would highlight my tummy (it still does, lol) and would detract from the original styling. As said in a previous post tight clothing is not for me and ease of movement and comfort is what I'm looking for, even though wartime photos (many on this site) usually show jackets of this type to be very well fitted.

As a thinner sheepskin jacket for wearing in milder winter climates, this will do me fine. However, a hoodie worn under it (would this be sacrilegious?) may pack it out a few inches at the waist and give it a fuller appearance. I've also been told this style was worn over A2s for added warmth as well.

I'm not a re-enactor or a hound for vintage original or replica wartime clothing and have never served in the armed forces, but I like the simplicity of a lot of military clothing so when I saw this, I bought it.

For the record, I live in Hong Kong and have no affiliation with Pakistan-based Fivestar Leather. This is the first reproduction jacket I have bought from them, and in my admittedly untutored and inexperienced opinion, it's just what I was looking for.

If you have got to the end of this then I can't wait to see examples of what others buy!

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve, hope you don’t get me wrong …as my English is far from perfect:)
I’m 6 feet tall and weigh about 216 pounds. Chest size is 46 and my waist is about 39 inch.
So a d-1 would look somehow similar on me. Or, as you said above,I would have to change the pattern. and shawn would do this Perfectly. He’s absolutely a gentleman and helps where he can.
what I’ve tried to say , that if I really want to change so much on original makers repro…

but as @tda003 said …only very few people will really note those changes…

greeting to Hong Kong from Germany
peter

sliuman

Greetings Peter,

Just my opinion, but you are taller, heavier and wider than me.

I'm not a tailor but It is likely that you will fill out this jacket in its standard iteration much better than me. Your extra 10 inches at the waist may be an important factor in how the jacket looks and fits.

All I can offer is that you contact Shawn and see what he recommends in your case.

I may be one of the first to have bought this jacket so my sizing is not representative of the average person. All we can do is wait to see what others do with their jackets if and when they buy them.

cheers
steve

Thomas Koehle

Hi Steve, hope you don’t get me wrong …as my English is far from perfect:)
I’m 6 feet tall and weigh about 216 pounds. Chest size is 46 and my waist is about 39 inch.
So a d-1 would look somehow similar on me. Or, as you said above,I would have to change the pattern. and shawn would do this Perfectly. He’s absolutely a gentleman and helps where he can.
what I’ve tried to say , that if I really want to change so much on original makers repro…

but as @tda003 said …only very few people will really note those changes…

greeting to Hong Kong from Germany
peter

Peter,

i got a similar "problem" but i will order with some personalized dimensions in order to match my stature

That worked before with some other jackets i ordered from 5Star before

Greets from Stuttgart

Thomas

busdrivermike

That’s a fine looking jacket @sliuman i think @Shawn Ali did a fantastic job
I love the loosey goosey fit as from pictures I’ve looked at and based on the
Job description for issue it’s what it should be and from these photos below its appears
It’s worn over things like coveralls and probably sweaters
It’s how I would want it to fit me, but I want a relaxed fit allowing for layering
I second your thoughts about side adjustments, while not period correct maybe a good idea
Personally were I to Oder one I would ask Shawn to add them add them simple ones like
On the anj4 especially as a cold Alberta winter wind would get in there like the subway blast
Does with Marilyn Monroe’s dress, and I would not be the least bit surprised that it was done
To period jackets along with other things by some wearing them
E6C9B344-6D8E-4F74-89BD-2996FBE3E388.png
A2C6F057-2B1A-4034-A6E2-2795F1CC37E1.png

CD5E89F6-6585-4E5A-BFC4-01D0AF093209.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter242

Peter,

i got a similar "problem" but i will order with some personalized dimensions in order to match my stature

That worked before with some other jackets i ordered from 5Star before

Greets from Stuttgart

Thomas
Thanks Thomas, I think I was too strict about keeping the original pattern.
The most historic correct jacket will help nothing when it doesn’t fit and stays in the closet

in an old posting I saw a picture of you wearing a 50cal B3 Jacket. That’s to me a perfect fit and a absolutely great jacket.

Greetings from Rheinhessen:)