• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER B3 JACKETS

Shawn Ali

Hi Everyone

I hope that all of you are fine and doing good. This Thread is created to inform our friends about the working of B3 Jackets, also we need some input and information from well informed VLJ members and friends to make these Jackets as close as to original's.

Before that we started working on D-1 Mechanics Jackets and due to some well informed members like Mr. @ties70 really helped us to complete the job, But we face the difficult to arrange the proper Sheep fleece Colour Problems, We made our last D1 Jackets in below Sheep colour, these are just for reference

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

Final Result was as below

20190102_200250.jpg

In spite of the fleece colour we sold all our leather stock within 6 months on custom Sized D1 Jackets, So I am really helpful for all members who helped us in developing that.

Now again we have the project of B3 Jackets, but this time I would really want to make this as close to original as possible, I am Currently working on Proper fleece colour of the Sheep, I am seeking some help from the well informed members here who have some information about the proper suppliers of this sheep.

If you can make some input in this regard it would be much helpful and appreciated.

Currently we prepared all the necessary pattern development guides and allocation of different materials, Please find below attached our design departments work according to which we planned to develop the right patterns, any kind of measurements help will also be much appreciated

After the completion of the patterns We will make our first prototype in Fake Fur to show all of the members here and after some improvement suggestions we will make its final prototype for your review and comments, once make successful prototype we will announce its sales for general buyers.

I am also seeking information on the proper zippers of B3, as in Number 5 teeth Talon zippers the Tape width of the zipper is smaller I specially ordered the Number 8 teeth Talon zippers with bigger tape width for these kinds of jackets, If you can provide me some more information on that it would be helpful. Please also find below the zipper difference of number 5 and Number 8 with image references

Talon Zippers Teeth Difference.jpg

Teeth and Tape Comparison 1.jpg

I also need some help on the design of Label for FiveStar Leather's B3 Jackets, need some suggestions for this also.

I really want to come up with good results so any kind of further information to make this as true as possible will be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards

Shawn

Last edited:

ties70

Hey @Shawn Ali ,

do you have an original B-3 in your hands? If yes, that should help significantly to figure out the details for your own B-3.

Usually, I would expect the zipper to be the smaller one, with the exact teeth width of an A-2's zipper. BUT: If I recall that correctly, B-3 zippers feature a wider herringbone tape! And to be honest, I have no idea where you could source them... Maybe your actual supplier of zippers can help?!

Regarding the label:
This depends on the original jacket you have....BUT: Do yourself a favor and do not copy one of the current makers' labels! So, if your original is a Roughwear or an AERO, then go for your own label design!

A generic label could read:

TYPE B-3
A.C. DRAWING NO. 33H5595
ORDER NO. 42-12345 P
FIVE STAR LTHR. CLO. CO.
PROPERTY
U.S. ARMY, U.S. AIR FORCE​

To save some money, you should put an extra size tag below that.

Yes, it is a nice touch if the size is included on the label, but you would have to make labels for all sizes, then.

Hope that some others here chime in, to give you some additional input!

Best regards,

Ties

mulceber

Neat project, and I suspect with Aero and ELC as your main competition, you’ll have people beating down your door for a reasonably-priced B-3 jacket. Apart from what everyone else has suggested, I’d say definitely take care to get the map pocket right. That’s the one detail that’s always wrong on the mall jackets - they give a B-3 handwarmer pockets like a D-1 or B-6.

Also, what color combination are you planning for the sheepskin and trim?

Last edited:

Shawn Ali

Hey @Shawn Ali ,

do you have an original B-3 in your hands? If yes, that should help significantly to figure out the details for your own B-3.

Usually, I would expect the zipper to be the smaller one, with the exact teeth width of an A-2's zipper. BUT: If I recall that correctly, B-3 zippers feature a wider herringbone tape! And to be honest, I have no idea where you could source them... Maybe your actual supplier of zippers can help?!

Regarding the label:
This depends on the original jacket you have....BUT: Do yourself a favor and do not copy one of the current makers' labels! So, if your original is a Roughwear or an AERO, then go for your own label design!

A generic label could read:

TYPE B-3
A.C. DRAWING NO. 33H5595
ORDER NO. 42-12345 P
FIVE STAR LTHR. CLO. CO.
PROPERTY
U.S. ARMY, U.S. AIR FORCE​

To save some money, you should put an extra size tag below that.

Yes, it is a nice touch if the size is included on the label, but you would have to make labels for all sizes, then.

Hope that some others here chime in, to give you some additional input!

Best regards,

Ties
Hi Dear @ties70

Thanks for your detailed reply, As was expected. First of all I would like to thank you for your great suggestions, Ideas, I will surely work on them, Also Label will be FiveStar Leather For sure, I will take your exact suggestions as experimental basis.

Regarding the zipper I will make a first prototype with my bigger zipper I will post some initial results If I you further suggests on it I will try to make them as exactly in sample Jacket.

Thanks for the great suggestions once I again.

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

And see how u like it when someone decides to use your pics or label for their jacket... just a thought
Dear @Art

Thanks for your suggestions and please don't worry We adopt totally ethical Practices and we also prove that, some were misunderstandings which I assures not to repeat.

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

Hi Everyone

We just made a test jacket with the Artificial Fur inside but Real Leather outside only to test a jacket according to its design, If You have any improvement suggestions other than proper fleece colour please suggests, as we are in the process of developing new fleece double face leather which will arrive soon for final jacket sample

You are welcome to add your true comments

Best Regards

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC_0622 copy.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 594
  • DSC_0637 copy.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 512
  • DSC_0640 copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 463
  • DSC_0644 copy.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 448

mulceber

Agreed with John on the pocket. Maybe it’s just me, but the collar looks a little small. Hard to tell though, as the B-3 collar tends to spread out almost to the shoulders if the jacket isn’t 100% zipped up.

Also, on the final jacket, you’ll probably want the non-Sheepskin leather to contrast with the sheepskin, at least a bit.

All in all, this is a great demo!

Last edited:
Would the faux fur be an option? I’ve owned a real fur coat before and had a bad allergic reaction. For people like me faux would be the only way we could enjoy owning one of these coats.

adfrost

Prototype looks pretty good. It’s already more accurate than most “mall” B-3s. One key detail once you get the right fleece is that the wind flap and arm cuff should have shorter/thinner fleece than the body, arms, and collar. Thickness will depend on how thick you’re going with the body. I‘m pretty sure Aero uses 22”/15” and Eastman uses 15”/10”. As to which is more historically accurate, I’ll let the experts speak to that, but that could be another custom attribute for the customer depending on how warm a jacket they want. Simmons-Bilt offers a number of color & thickness options that other manufacturers don’t, for instance. Other details that vary by contract would be number of panels used for the back and if there are full side panels vs a V-panel where the belt straps are.

Shawn Ali

I think the pocket looks slightly too small everything else looks spot one love the fleece colour.
Once Again This is Artificial Fleece with the Leather Just to check a test jacket and Pattern Details. Pockets can be increased in size without any problem.

Thanks for your input.

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

Agreed with John on the pocket. Maybe it’s just me, but the collar looks a little small. Hard to tell though, as the B-3 collar tends to spread out almost to the shoulders if the jacket isn’t 100% zipped up.

Also, on the final jacket, you’ll probably want the non-Sheepskin leather to contrast with the sheepskin, at least a bit.

All in all, this is a great demo!
Dear @mulceber

This Collar has the exact measurements, the only difference it show's smaller is its fleece, when we make them in proper and more thicker fleece It will have the better and wider collar results.

Best Regards

Shawn