• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER B3 JACKETS

Shawn Ali

Would the faux fur be an option? I’ve owned a real fur coat before and had a bad allergic reaction. For people like me faux would be the only way we could enjoy owning one of these coats.
Hi Dear @Blueknight54

Although This is a test jacket and we are going to develop this in real Sheep Fleece, but as real Sheep Fleece Jacket will be a little expensive so we can offer this jacket in synthetic and Artificial Furs inside but Real Sheep Leather outside like above images for our custom buyers.

I will be happy to do this for you, also its price is very reasonable.

Best Regards

Shawn

stanier

Hmmm, seems I'm in a minority of one, but I have a different view. I suggest getting your hands on an original complete B-3, get to know every stitch and reproduce every minute detail. Including the label AND the original makers name. Please dont put any reference to five star leather on that label, something discrete elsewhere on the jacket to deal with who reproduced the jacket. The size tag should be separate on most, if not all, B-3 contract labels and include the word REGULAR (or short, or long) under the size number.

And lastly, steer clear of faux fleece in any guise and for any reason. I have deep sympathy for the guy with the wool allergy (and struggle myself with B-10 linings and A-1 sweaters for example) but any move to faux fleece would have five star assigned to the tack end of repro jackets forever, on any jacket type, and, IMO of course, but be outside the scope of this forum. Just saying.

Shawn Ali

Hmmm, seems I'm in a minority of one, but I have a different view. I suggest getting your hands on an original complete B-3, get to know every stitch and reproduce every minute detail. Including the label AND the original makers name. Please dont put any reference to five star leather on that label, something discrete elsewhere on the jacket to deal with who reproduced the jacket. The size tag should be separate on most, if not all, B-3 contract labels and include the word REGULAR (or short, or long) under the size number.

And lastly, steer clear of faux fleece in any guise and for any reason. I have deep sympathy for the guy with the wool allergy (and struggle myself with B-10 linings and A-1 sweaters for example) but any move to faux fleece would have five star assigned to the tack end of repro jackets forever, on any jacket type, and, IMO of course, but be outside the scope of this forum. Just saying.
Regarding the label:
This depends on the original jacket you have....BUT: Do yourself a favor and do not copy one of the current makers' labels! So, if your original is a Roughwear or an AERO, then go for your own label design!

A generic label could read:

TYPE B-3
A.C. DRAWING NO. 33H5595
ORDER NO. 42-12345 P
FIVE STAR LTHR. CLO. CO.
PROPERTY
U.S. ARMY, U.S. AIR FORCE​
To save some money, you should put an extra size tag below that.

Thanks for your making my attention to these points, regarding the Label I already ask for some help and advise and I received this guidance and great suggestions to put the label this way from a very Informative person who always try to make us on the ethical part, we also put our attentions to his kind advise and designed the label after having the suggestions here.

Regarding the Artificial Fur as we explain only for our custom buyers like one of our friend explained above that he have the allergy with the real fur so he prefer to use the Artificial, so that would be possible in very rare cases.

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

Would the faux fur be an option? I’ve owned a real fur coat before and had a bad allergic reaction. For people like me faux would be the
Prototype looks pretty good. It’s already more accurate than most “mall” B-3s. One key detail once you get the right fleece is that the wind flap and arm cuff should have shorter/thinner fleece than the body, arms, and collar. Thickness will depend on how thick you’re going with the body. I‘m pretty sure Aero uses 22”/15” and Eastman uses 15”/10”. As to which is more historically accurate, I’ll let the experts speak to that, but that could be another custom attribute for the customer depending on how warm a jacket they want. Simmons-Bilt offers a number of color & thickness options that other manufacturers don’t, for instance. Other details that vary by contract would be number of panels used for the back and if there are full side panels vs a V-panel where the belt straps are.
Hi Dear @adfrost

Thanks for your input and suggestions, we are already making the sheep fleece in two types of different hair lengths, I understand that the Some parts like the cuff's and wind Flap have the small hairs fleece inside, so in our final production it will be accordingly.

Best Regards

Shawn

Cocker

I agree on the pocket, it looks a bit on the small side, that's the first thing I saw. Appart from that, looks all good to me!

Regarding the label, I'd way much prefer to have Five Star as the manufacturer rather than a real one. As long as you keep the format and contract numbers, I think it's way better like that. If you were going for high level, high price, stitch for stitch repro, I'd agree with Stanier and would advise to keep the original maker's label. But in your situation, you're better staying off it.

Same for the fur, as long as the faux fur is only an option, then by any way go for it!! Might provide a great alternative at a faire price for people allergic or a bit on the tight side of the wallet. After, ATF provided great repro B-10 with faux fur and alpaca, and are still considered very good by lots of us.

Shawn Ali

I agree on the pocket, it looks a bit on the small side, that's the first thing I saw. Appart from that, looks all good to me!

Regarding the label, I'd way much prefer to have Five Star as the manufacturer rather than a real one. As long as you keep the format and contract numbers, I think it's way better like that. If you were going for high level, high price, stitch for stitch repro, I'd agree with Stanier and would advise to keep the original maker's label. But in your situation, you're better staying off it.

Same for the fur, as long as the faux fur is only an option, then by any way go for it!! Might provide a great alternative at a faire price for people allergic or a bit on the tight side of the wallet. After, ATF provided great repro B-10 with faux fur and alpaca, and are still considered very good by lots of us.
Hi Dear @Cocker

Regarding the pocket I can update its size in future productions, I am also thankful for your great input.

Best Regards

Shawn

Silver Surfer

Your need not be concerned about the makers name o the nomenclature label, as at least two original wwll contracts were made without the makers name on the label. Nix the idea of any faux fur or leather, since it says “mall crapola”, and will only hinder sales to anyone interested in a “authentic”b-3. The #5 talon zipper should do just fine, and is closest to what was used on originals. As mentioned above, the wind flap, and sleeve cuffs are made up of shearling that is cut shorter then the rest of the jacket. the b-3 design and construction is super simple and straight forward, yet it Is amazing how many repro makers screw the pooch when reproducing them By not including, or paying attention to basic details.

mulceber

I’m kind of perplexed by the number of people arguing against the faux fur option. Yeah, I agree it’s a tacky mall jacket material, and I wouldn’t buy it myself, but it’s genuinely nice of Shawn to include it as a customization option for people who can’t handle the wool for whatever reason. He says the regular jackets will be genuine shearling.

Shawn Ali

Your need not be concerned about the makers name o the nomenclature label, as at least two original wwll contracts were made without the makers name on the label. Nix the idea of any faux fur or leather, since it says “mall crapola”, and will only hinder sales to anyone interested in a “authentic”b-3. The #5 talon zipper should do just fine, and is closest to what was used on originals. As mentioned above, the wind flap, and sleeve cuffs are made up of shearling that is cut shorter then the rest of the jacket. the b-3 design and construction is super simple and straight forward, yet it Is amazing how many repro makers screw the pooch when reproducing them By not including, or paying attention to basic details.
Thanks for your great input, I also got details of pocket measurements from many friends who have original jackets with them, There is a little difference which I will improve.

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

I’m kind of perplexed by the number of people arguing against the faux fur option. Yeah, I agree it’s a tacky mall jacket material, and I wouldn’t buy it myself, but it’s genuinely nice of Shawn to include it as a customization option for people who can’t handle the wool for whatever reason. He says the regular jackets will be genuine shearling.

Dear @mulceber

Thats what I am trying to explain here. Thanks for elaborating this.

Best Regards

Shawn

Jnoake

Prototype looks great!

I agree with @mulceber it would be nice to have a contrast to the patches and pocket - I've always liked this detail on B3's.

Very tempted to grab one of these once you've got them in to production!

mr_lits

One thing I see that eats at me a bit are the buckles. They are clearly a different shape and size than original B3 jackets. Otherwise the pattern looks pretty good along with the pocket size that others have noted.