• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

PilatusPilot

Yeah, that's the one I was actually eyeballing!! Why did you suggest it tho? What makes it different from the other ones Shawn has to offer? I was also considering a horsehide jacket but I don't know how true to reality that is. Not sure which type of leather they used in the originals.

mulceber

The difference is that Shawn was able to examine and take measurements from an original, whereas on the other ones he had to look at pictures. On the United Sheeplined he had measurements, but couldn’t examine it in person.

Shawn’s out of horsehide right now, so if that’s the leather you want, I’d wait until early next year. The Dubow 27798 was made using both goat and horse, so either leather is accurate.

mulceber

Agreed - Ben Affleck's jacket doesn't look quite right in its coloring for the period, as there were few seal a-2s at that point, and none of them were that dark. The other main character's jacket looks okay though.

Also, Dubow's a good choice for this jacket, since iirc, a lot of the real-life Doolittle Raiders wore Dubows, although the particular contract that Shawn is offering hadn't been made yet.

Shawn Ali

Shawn why is the collar so thick compared to a pocket flap they are similar constructions but the collar looks 4 times thicker . I little thinner would be more desirable I think on the collar.Could we see an A2 type made out of Buffalo hide a lot of people here are wondering how it would look .Keep up the good work Shawn .

Rgds Jeff
Hi Dear Mr. @Bombing IP

Thanks for your great analysis, you are right about the thickness of the Collar and the Flap, we trim only the edges of the flap a little to make its look proper, but in our next productions we can make this as according to the collar, and upon yours great suggestions I am already working to develop some Buffalo hide leather in Plain colors like seal brown or Russet brown, One of its newest example is attached, I will also post some images of the buffalo hide A-2, You can suggest me some Contracts which were made in buffalo because now we are following the true details in our next productions :)

Best Regards

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC_6616 Buffalo (2).JPG
    DSC_6616 Buffalo (2).JPG
    943.2 KB · Views: 289
  • DSC_6616 Buffalo (1).JPG
    DSC_6616 Buffalo (1).JPG
    848.5 KB · Views: 302

elfraty

The difference is that Shawn was able to examine and take measurements from an original, whereas on the other ones he had to look at pictures. On the United Sheeplined he had measurements, but couldn’t examine it in person.

Shawn’s out of horsehide right now, so if that’s the leather you want, I’d wait until early next year. The Dubow 27798 was made using both goat and horse, so either leather is accurate.

The FS website is not up to date anymore. So after my order of a Horse Hide jacket and getting an answer that it was out of stock, I suggested to put a sold out sign on all the HH that is still offered there to prevent customers from placing an order and be disappointed. He said he would change it today, but maybe he was to busy cause at this hour all those HH jackets are still present on the FS website...

PilatusPilot

Gentlemen, does any of you know any members here that have bought a five star horsehide a2? I have finally decided to buy one of those since I have had an amazing experience with the company. But unfortunately all the reviews and pictures I can find on the forum are the ones of goatskin. If any of you have seen horsehide a2 reviews, or know any members, let me know!! Thanks all!

Adama36

for reference, here are pictures of my goatskin russet 5star doniger I received back in October 2019.
Was not a fan at first, thought the leather was kind of dull and the color kind of weird ...

IMG_2122.JPG
IMG_2123.JPG