• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

That would be ok too. I reallly want a seal horsehide A2, with either of those shades of knits. I know the Aero contract comes to mind but the currently available offerings are a little out of my price range right now.

I hope Shawn won't mind me giving a little preview of what he's got coming next:

A couple errors in the text, but this is promising.

View attachment 45733
Looks promising!

Perhaps you know if Fivestar's Bronco pattern has undergone the same upgrades and improvements as their Doniger pattern?
I'm considering ordering a custom A-2 from Fivestar, but can't really decide which pattern to go for.

To my knowledge, it has not. I'm sure Shawn will get around to it at some point, but at present he's working on other things.
Have there been many requests for changes and upgrades from the VLJ community since the Bronco was introduced? As the Doniger received a lot of feedback from the community, would that pattern at present be a more authentic and better fitting pattern than the Bronco, or maybe the Bronco was spot on from the beginning?

mulceber

Have there been many requests for changes and upgrades from the VLJ community since the Bronco was introduced? As the Doniger received a lot of feedback from the community, would that pattern at present be a more authentic and better fitting pattern than the Bronco, or maybe the Bronco was spot on from the beginning?

Honestly, if you like the Bronco pattern, you should probably give the United Sheeplined a look: both companies were owned by Spiewak, and jackets made by them are easily confused for each other, as they have most of the same design features. The major difference is the placement of the epaulets (in front of the shoulder seam for Bronco, on top of it for USL).

Shawn gave me permission to post this one:
122006021_349473996343504_1833992128927742820_n.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, if you like the Bronco pattern, you should probably give the United Sheeplined a look: both companies were owned by Spiewak, and jackets made by them are easily confused for each other, as they have most of the same design features. The major difference is the placement of the epaulets (in front of the shoulder seam for Bronco, on top of it for USL).

View attachment 45735

View attachment 45735
Ok! This one looks really nice! So maybe the timing is bad now to order from Fivestar as they are preparing to launch the Dubow and the United Sheeplined? At the moment they seem to be very busy.

Brettafett

Erm, not to go into all that again, there's a ton of threads back a year or two on this.

Five Star got their 'Bronco' pattern off an AVI LTHR 'Bronco' repro, that they copied from their original. AVI LTHR made 3 or 4 versions, trying to perfect their jacket. Some of us have these. They are fantastic jackets, not 100% accurate, as a few details are a bit off, but ony if you are a jacket-nerd (like most of us are)...

AVI LTHR are a Danish group and were among the first to try and make original maker flight jackets at low price-points. They have an original Bronco A-2, an original 55J14 G-1 and an original Fried Ostermann (I think) M422a...They made repros of the Bronco and G-1, production was set up in Pakistan... And that's where all the Pakistan makers got their patterns from.

Granted, Shawn has done a great job pushing forwards and had many guys on the forums, and privately offered suggestions, photos and some even sent him jackets to help improve his patterns.
He has sourced his own original Doniger (and now a Dubow & Sheeplined) and made his own copies. So those would be my go-to A-2s from Shawn...

I received an email a few weeks ago from AVI, after checking ij about the M422a, that's on hold, but that they have moved production to China it seems, and are in the process of re-developing their Bronco repro.

Erm, not to go into all that again, there's a ton of threads back a year or two on this.

Five Star got their 'Bronco' pattern off an AVI LTHR 'Bronco' repro, that they copied from their original. AVI LTHR made 3 or 4 versions, trying to perfect their jacket. Some of us have these. They are fantastic jackets, not 100% accurate, as a few details are a bit off, but ony if you are a jacket-nerd (like most of us are)...

AVI LTHR are a Danish group and were among the first to try and make original maker flight jackets at low price-points. They have an original Bronco A-2, an original 55J14 G-1 and an original Fried Ostermann (I think) M422a...They made repros of the Bronco and G-1, production was set up in Pakistan... And that's where all the Pakistan makers got their patterns from.

Granted, Shawn has done a great job pushing forwards and had many guys on the forums, and privately offered suggestions, photos and some even sent him jackets to help improve his patterns.
He has sourced his own original Doniger (and now a Dubow & Sheeplined) and made his own copies. So those would be my go-to A-2s from Shawn...

I received an email a few weeks ago from AVI, after checking ij about the M422a, that's on hold, but that they have moved production to China it seems, and are in the process of re-developing their Bronco repro.
Thanks for the explanation!

Which pattern would be the most comfortable and least slender and trim pattern of the Doniger, Dubow and the Sheeplined?

mulceber

Tough choice. All of them I know from experience or reputation are comfortable contracts, although the Dubow is frequently described as an “athletic” fit.

If you’re thinking about going with the Doniger, make sure you’re okay with the collar first. Some people avoid that contract just because of how pointy that collar is.

Brettafett

Second Jan's comment above.
I think they would all be comfortable at the correct size.
I like that Shawn has a great varied collection of originals now. All these are quite unique patterns, some different details.
Perhaps wait until Shawn has his Dubow and Sheeplined ready to go. Then compare measurements of each at the same size, compare details and see what strikes you, go from there.

cleancut

I just got a Doniger from Shawn. I gotta tell ya he is going above n beyond with getting the details right. I got this one in cowhide... it was soft and pliable right out of the box.
Now I gotta say ... I’m probably the biggest pia when it comes fit ..finish n how the jacket looks... and he was a complete gentleman with total understanding and most of all ... answers.
My only concern ( more the pia thing with me) is the shoulders seem kinda square .. but they are starting to...soften a bit.
That said ... buy with complete confidence from 5* and Shawn... you will not be disappointed.

Attachments

• 08A09EC9-9B79-4685-83DA-638AD248C2DA.jpeg
    08A09EC9-9B79-4685-83DA-638AD248C2DA.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 390
  • 19309DD0-E0C1-46A4-8893-8FFCF95B3F34.jpeg
    19309DD0-E0C1-46A4-8893-8FFCF95B3F34.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 393
  • 60061442-B08B-4D98-851B-C154B5714CAC.jpeg
    60061442-B08B-4D98-851B-C154B5714CAC.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 370
  • BF5BCE89-E369-455E-8CBF-C9ED8092A221.jpeg
    BF5BCE89-E369-455E-8CBF-C9ED8092A221.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 400
  • 60690BEF-EC6E-4394-9AB8-267D9B512CD4.jpeg
    60690BEF-EC6E-4394-9AB8-267D9B512CD4.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 669
  • 45B7642E-22CB-43B6-9E07-53BC41D6A8CE.jpeg
    45B7642E-22CB-43B6-9E07-53BC41D6A8CE.jpeg
    652.1 KB · Views: 484

JimO

cleancut-

I concur with EVERYTHING you said about Five Star & Shawn's incredible communication & customer service, but ESPECIALLY with:

My only concern ( more the pia thing with me) is the shoulders seem kinda square ..

You are NOT mistaken, your shoulders ARE square. Please see my post (#814 of this thread) where I detail my experience and concern with the "square" shoulders on both of my Five Star A-2 jackets.

After several months of wearing my Werber & Doniger, they remain square. This will NOT change with ANY amount of time, wear or softening. It is NOT an issue of the jackets breaking in, it IS an issue with his patterns, as the top of the sleeves are sewn into the shoulders at an angle, rather than straight in line with the shoulder & epaulet.

Like you, I love almost everything else about these jackets. At first it was just an irritation and I have tried to learn to live with it, but the shoulders look funky & now really bother the hell out of me- so much to the point where I will probably end up selling or giving these two jackets away.

With Shawn getting an original Dubow jacket to reproduce an accurate pattern, I hope that he will eliminate the square shoulders and produce a jacket with rounded shoulders that will fit, drape & look like the original patterns and modern reproductions (GW, Aero, Eastman, BK, Platon Dubow, AVI, US Authentic, Avirex, etc.) It is NOT a matter of price point, materials or manufacturing quality; it IS a matter of getting the pattern correct.

It is also NOT a matter of sizing, as I have ordered jackets with both a smaller and larger shoulder measurement. They both have the square shoulders because the sleeves on both are sewn in and attached at an angle, rather than straight in line with the shoulder & epaulet.

Shawn is very concerned with getting every little detail of the Five Star A-2 jackets as close to the originals as possible. The members of the VLJ forums share this concern and help him by generously giving their inputs on every little nuance from pocket positioning, flap curvature, label graphics, hide, cuff, thread, tipper tape & lining colors, epaulet width & stitching patterns, zipper pull shapes to brand & finish of pocket & collar snaps. You & I are contributing to this effort by giving him feedback on the issues with his shoulders.

If Shawn & Five Star get the shape, fit & drape of shoulders on the Dubow & USL right, his A-2 jackets will be GREATLY improved and one step closer to perfection. If he does, I WILL certainly be ordering more jackets from him.

Jim

mulceber

The members of the VLJ forums share this concern and help him by generously giving their inputs on every little nuance from pocket positioning, flap curvature, label graphics, hide, cuff, thread, tipper tape & lining colors, epaulet width & stitching patterns, zipper pull shapes to brand & finish of pocket & collar snaps. You & I are contributing to this effort by giving him feedback on the issues with his shoulders.

I think you might gain more headway if you explained at greater length what you're asking for. When we offer advice to Shawn, we have specific suggestions about how to accomplish it: "that pocket's a bit too tall - try shortening it by a centimeter," for example. Even when we have more difficult criticisms to address, such as the collar issue over in the M-445A thread, we try to figure out what specific detail of the pattern is causing the problem. Saying "the shoulders are too square" doesn't provide much guidance, even when you add in the bit about the angled sleeves. Now, if you were to investigate the cause of these square shoulders and provide detailed suggestions for exactly how to fix them (ideally with side-by-side pictures comparing his shoulder seams to an original), I think you would find Shawn very willing to listen to your advice.

Last edited: