• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

B-Man2

Thank you. I will definitely! I've only worn it to take photos today and its been hot here today for a change, so it's been hanging in the wardrobe.. Not on a wooden hanger I hasten to add. Seems that's not a good thing from what I've read on some posts here?

One question.. The leather seems pretty good quality for a reasonably priced horsehide jacket, but a large area of the left corner on the back seems a lot thinner and almost stretched and plasticy? Should I be worried or is that normal? I'd hate for it to tear. I realise there are variations in hides, but it's definitely noticeably thinner. I'll try get some photos tomorrow.
Not all sections of hides have the exact same thickness. Some hides are a bit thinner than others, and the tanning process contributes to that as well. We had that issue here a while back with another member, who purchased a new jacket but I don't think it was a 5 Star Jacket. Oddly enough there are original WWII jackets that were made with mismatched hides due to wartime shortages and are similar to your jacket with thicker and thinner hides on the same jacket. I cant remember anyone ever having a problem with one of these jackets, but you have to be happy with the jacket so its your decision as to what you'd like to do with it.

Bombing IP

It the very nature of the jacket and the essence of what we here at VLJ look for in a jacket mismatched hides that is . I have a Dubow A2 that on the sleeves that are two piece one of the pieces is very grainy and wrinkled the other half looks new .same with the body panels . The A2 that was made during WW2 was made fast and the leather was taken from a pile . I am told that it took a good machinist just one hour to make a jacket .So you know that she was not going through the pile to find matching pieces . With your leather being thin in places I would not worry it will not rip tear or fail as tanned horsehide is very strong . But each jacket is like a finger print all are a little different and will blossom into the 50 mission look with your help .It has been said on the forum the jacket looks its worst when you take it out of the box when its delivered .

BIP

Bombing IP

Shawn a while ago I purchased an A2 jacket from eBay that was made in Pakistan it was not made by Five Star I might add . The picture of the jacket showed all the correct cut and details color was great no funky inside pockets etc and the price was $119 .00 + shipping .So I bought it how bad could it be I could always use it as a beater jacket .Well the jacket arrived and it was awful looked nothing like the picture even had side entry pockets and the lining was quilted .The fit was a modern fit blousey and the leather seemed like plastic although I am sure it was leather (it was sent back the next day .
Why do I bring this up , this type of sale is hurting your business as it also tars you with the same brush . You are also in the same country and make similar jackets like the other companies claim to be making .This has caused you a problem ? a buyer cannot be confident he will be getting the jacket you have listed because other companies behaviour in the market place. I in no way am I attacking your credibility but I do want to see you sell more jackets because you sell wonderful jackets and deserve a following and a good reputation for producing an excellent copy of a WW2 jacket . But this needs to get out to the people and your company Five Star needs to have a standing in the industry . Your web pages are like an auto parts store with picture of the parts prices with details that are there but hard to find . You need to redesign the Five Star Military Jackets web page as a separate entity with the vibe and a theme of WW2 with memorabilia in the background .Close ups of the details like the lining and the labels etc etc different contracts ,cut of the jacket . This shows you are serious about making the best jacket out there and are her to stay .It also shows that you love the style and It is one of your interests ,showing jacket laid on europe maps or next to aircraft .Create the ambiance of the WW2 theme will make you stand out from the rest of the fly by night crowd who want to make a quick buck . As you stand now your web page is to sterile only we at VLJ know your passion for WW2 leather jacket ,the internet audience does not know and they are the ones holding the money .Look to VLJ for guidance and look to the other top tier sites , build it and they will come ! .

BIP

B-Man2

If I can add an opinion ..., Shawn is constantly meeting all of our requests. His jackets have continued to develop. Once he sorts out some minor details , his jackets will be in demand .
Websites not withstanding, testimonials from buyers like us will be a big selling point.

Shawn Ali

If A Five Star jacket looked like that original pic I’d one in an instant, as many others here would I suspect.

Why do Five Star waist knits look so thin, as in height of the knit, and like the waist is from a jacket two sizes bigger than the actual jacket size? Compare the pic of the original and Five Star repro above.

And a pet hate of mine, why are these sized S,M,L,XL etc? The jackets have inch chest measures so use them!

Sorry, these comments are meant constructively. I think Shawn has made huge progress and should be applauded, but some of the little details that make all the difference don’t cost much if anything I think.
Hi Dear @stanier

We offer complete customization according to one's requirements, Our jacket in listing is just a prototype, Anyone can add his own details like Size Labels, Waist bands, Knitting, and sizing.

B. Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

Shawn a while ago I purchased an A2 jacket from eBay that was made in Pakistan it was not made by Five Star I might add . The picture of the jacket showed all the correct cut and details color was great no funky inside pockets etc and the price was $119 .00 + shipping .So I bought it how bad could it be I could always use it as a beater jacket .Well the jacket arrived and it was awful looked nothing like the picture even had side entry pockets and the lining was quilted .The fit was a modern fit blousey and the leather seemed like plastic although I am sure it was leather (it was sent back the next day .
Why do I bring this up , this type of sale is hurting your business as it also tars you with the same brush . You are also in the same country and make similar jackets like the other companies claim to be making .This has caused you a problem ? a buyer cannot be confident he will be getting the jacket you have listed because other companies behaviour in the market place. I in no way am I attacking your credibility but I do want to see you sell more jackets because you sell wonderful jackets and deserve a following and a good reputation for producing an excellent copy of a WW2 jacket . But this needs to get out to the people and your company Five Star needs to have a standing in the industry . Your web pages are like an auto parts store with picture of the parts prices with details that are there but hard to find . You need to redesign the Five Star Military Jackets web page as a separate entity with the vibe and a theme of WW2 with memorabilia in the background .Close ups of the details like the lining and the labels etc etc different contracts ,cut of the jacket . This shows you are serious about making the best jacket out there and are her to stay .It also shows that you love the style and It is one of your interests ,showing jacket laid on europe maps or next to aircraft .Create the ambiance of the WW2 theme will make you stand out from the rest of the fly by night crowd who want to make a quick buck . As you stand now your web page is to sterile only we at VLJ know your passion for WW2 leather jacket ,the internet audience does not know and they are the ones holding the money .Look to VLJ for guidance and look to the other top tier sites , build it and they will come ! .

BIP
Hi Dear @Bombing IP

Thanks for your detailed review and all the great suggestions.

I do accept that there are many fake companies in the market who only want to sell only a jacket, they don't have tanneries, nor any professional CMT Units, We are having tanneries and in the manufacturing field in almost from 28 years investing heavily on R&D making our productions upto date and so on.

Regarding Website, I am already working to improve all these things, Soon I will start a new thread in which I will ask for the suggestions to make a new website for FiveStar Leather with the complete historical information, My website will be like you wish to see...

Your idea's really have my great importance.. I always learn here.. Thank You for that.

B. Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

Burt,

as I might have been the initial force behind @Shawn Ali 's DONIGER jacket, I will definitely get one as soon as he gets the little things worked out... I provided him with the basic features of this contract, but we came to a point where more than just basics were needed.

So my kudos to Shawn to present a product here at VLJ that was not finally ready and thereby risk to get fire from the members here... I am glad that it turned out to be less fire and more valuable input from you guys.

So Shawn, if you want to know the demand for your Doniger then count me in!

Best regards,

Ties
Dear @ties70

In this forum everyone is respectable but you are like my Dearest Teacher I respect more than anyone..
I am and definitely I will always contact you before making your ideas visible to general friends.

Much Obliged

Shawn

Technonut2112

IMO, it appears that the Doniger is more or less 'finalized'...(It's listed on eBay) If one looks at 5 Stars' eBay business, they are making many jacket sales and their feedback is stellar compared to the majority of their competitors. Folks are more than satisfied with the quality they are receiving.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but IMO, if one wants more detail to the current Doniger offering, one is going to have to actually make a purchase, and tweak whatever additional details wanted personally with Shawn, such as pocket spacing, knit color, zipper box length / width, etc.. In it's present form, the Doniger is more than adequate for 5 Star's eBay market, and provides more historic detail than any other jacket available in it's price range.

Hopefully Shawn can procure the hollow-loop throat clasps, and more authentic nipple snaps, etc. in time, but those things are only important to jacket-heads like us, not Shawn's 'bread-n-butter' to keep the business profitable. As I said, I may be mistaken, and perhaps there may be a 'finished' Doniger eventually, but in the meantime, making a purchase and tweaking whatever details are most important to you as customizations will be the fastest way to get one on your back...

Last edited:

Dario G.

Buongiorno a tutti i membri del gruppo, volevo solo farvi partecipare alla collezione di giacche Fivestarleather di Sawn, che finora mi ha pazientemente e professionalmente impacchettato. Anticipo che sono in contatto con lui per una nuova giacca A2 imballata con il mio personale specifice. Non appena avrà trovato il tipo di pelle che ho richiesto, gli invierò le mie specifiche e al termine del lavoro posterò le foto qui. Sono sicuro che un professionista in crescita come Sawn sarà in grado di soddisfarmi. Scusami per il mio pessimo inglese. Ciao a tutti.

Attachments

• fhu (4).jpg
    fhu (4).jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 324
  • misure Dario G1 (3).jpg
    misure Dario G1 (3).jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 319
  • A2 Jacket Dario (16).jpg
    A2 Jacket Dario (16).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 322
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 359
  • A2 horsehide (5).jpg
    A2 horsehide (5).jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 294

Micawber

Buongiorno a tutti i membri del gruppo, volevo solo farvi partecipare alla collezione di giacche Fivestarleather di Sawn, che finora mi ha pazientemente e professionalmente impacchettato. Anticipo che sono in contatto con lui per una nuova giacca A2 imballata con il mio personale specifice. Non appena avrà trovato il tipo di pelle che ho richiesto, gli invierò le mie specifiche e al termine del lavoro posterò le foto qui. Sono sicuro che un professionista in crescita come Sawn sarà in grado di soddisfarmi. Scusami per il mio pessimo inglese. Ciao a tutti.

Had to consult Google translate...

Good morning to all the members of the group, I just wanted you to take part in Sawn's Fivestarleather collection of jackets, which so far patiently and professionally packaged me. Advance that I am in contact with him for a new A2 jacket packed with my personal specifice. As soon as he has found the type of skin I requested, I will send him my specifications and at the end of the work I will post the photos here. I am sure that a growing professional like Sawn will be able to satisfy me. I apologize for my very bad English. Hi everyone.

Darhuws

Benvenuto. Bella collezione di giacche!

80% solution for the price is more than acceptable. If the hide quality goes up, the hardware prices go up. We start looking at a more expensive jacket. As a percentage of the business or sales it would not be worth the time and effort.

Shawn, you're doing great Sir!
I agree. These jackets look like a Bronco, Doniger at a glance. If you look closely you’ll find they aren’t 100% accurate. But it’s not 1943 and we’re (most of us on here)not flying B-17s or P-51s. So in my mind it’s a fair trade. And that’s good enough for me. If I wanted that I would contact one of the top tier companies.

Bombing IP

I agree. These jackets look like a Bronco, Doniger at a glance. If you look closely you’ll find they aren’t 100% accurate. But it’s not 1943 and we’re (most of us on here)not flying B-17s or P-51s. So in my mind it’s a fair trade. And that’s good enough for me. If I wanted that I would contact one of the top tier companies.

I disagree with the at a glance statement ,to my mind they are very close to all the details being correct . If we were to place a Brand new jacket out of the box from 1943 with one of these it would be a tight contest ,you are comparing a new jacket with originals with wear !. Also the development of the Five Star A2 line is still ongoing .

BIP

I disagree with the at a glance statement ,to my mind they are very close to all the details being correct . If we were to place a Brand new jacket out of the box from 1943 with one of these it would be a tight contest ,you are comparing a new jacket with originals with wear !. Also the development of the Five Star A2 line is still ongoing .

BIP
I said if you look closely. And when new, of course, since it’s not in fact 1943. If you saw someone on the street in one you wouldn’t be able to tell unless you got very close up, if wear wasn’t an obvious factor. The point I’m trying to make is that they are good jackets being made at five star.

ausreenactor

Gotcha! Well done.

I have only ever had one A-1. And instead of spending USD$1200 on one (as if) this could be a suitable A-1. Especially at the price now...

petermack09

Gotcha! Well done.

I have only ever had one A-1. And instead of spending USD$1200 on one (as if) this could be a suitable A-1. Especially at the price now...
My thoughts entirely,,I have just ordered a dark seal goatskin A1,,the Eastman Capeskin I sold on always felt too fragile,,at this price I don’t need to baby it,

ausreenactor

100% correct. I snagged an ELC RW 1401P and scratched it walking past a construction site. I whined and moaned for hours about it and complained it was a 'shit night'. Second and third order effects of damaging the pride and joy are not to be downplayed.