• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

Shawn Ali

Hi Everyone

FiveStar Leather's newly reproduced David D. Doniger Type A-2 Made with Russet Brown Real Goatskin Leather, With improvements which were suggested here by members, Any Further suggestions please let me know

Shawn

Front View.jpg

Back View.jpg

Label.jpg

Lining View.jpg

c9aa0109-1595-43dd-bcc4-d2a829db8a9a.jpg

Smithy

Coming along nicely Shawn. One thing from my perspective is that the thread colour is too light and is too "visible". It's a small thing I know (but we're all about small things and details around here!). A more subtle brown thread would be better IMHO.

Like I said earlier you get all these small little bits and pieces sorted out and in a nice Doniger appropriate russet and I'm buying one. To hell with my no more jackets thing ;-)

Smithy

Oh and lose the white manufacturers/care label on the inner side lining. Put that inside one of the pockets instead.

Bombing IP

Great job Shawn on the Doniger ,Smithy is right on the threads your eye focuses directly on them need to be muted and the rivets on the throat catch need to be hollow every jacket maker did this . I was reading old posts and I saw your first post was on Sept 2018 and 10 months later you have given us a Bronco ,A1 ,G1 and now a Doniger that's remarkable in such a short amount of time . I have to commend you and the other forum members on the VLJ for this rapid progress . Because of this we now have a new player in the game and that new player is Shawn of 5 Star . One other pointer if I may on the jacket detail is the small piece of rectangular leather where the zipper starts (shown on the last picture with the zipper box ).I had a conversation with John Chapman and this part of the jacket always gave him trouble .For the section in question to look right one has to make the shape a trapeziod . It then follows the line of the knitted hem ,your lower edge is not 90 degrees from the zipper . A minor point but one that catches the eye of even an untrained person ,other than the color your ready to go .

BIP

Last edited:

Garylafortuna

Shawn, in the repro flight jacket world, with your positive attitude and your ability to turn the suggestions of experienced members into reality, you are on the brink of greatness in this industry. There is nothing I can say that has not already been said to confirm the superb quality of this jacket. If there were one criticism you would consider from an old guy with tired eyes, and this would hold true more for the very slim among us, it would be to tighten up the knitted waist band a little. Keep up the good work.

Technonut2112

One other pointer if I may on the jacket detail is the small piece of rectangular leather where the zipper starts (shown on the last picture with the zipper box ).I had a conversation with John Chapman and this part of the jacket always gave him trouble .For the section in question to look right one has to make the shape a trapeziod . It then follows the line of the knitted hem ,your lower edge is not 90 degrees from the zipper

I don't see any trapezoid stitching on GW's Doniger, unless I'm not clear on what is being discussed. Here's JC's zipper boxes (Shawn's looks similar to me):

EDIT: Shawn's Doniger zipper boxes could stand to be a bit taller / narrower IMO...

zipper_box1.jpg

zipper_box2.jpg

Last edited:

Bombing IP

No the stitching is not the issue it is the shape of the leather piece bottom not being in line with the knitting . If put a different way if I was to put a straight edge along the bottom of the jacket the leather piece tapers upward .

BIP

Technonut2112

If whatever it is gave JC trouble, it may just be beyond the scope of a $150.00 USD jacket. Shawn's primary business is moving mass quantities of jackets on eBay, and they are currently at a level of detail surpassing anything I would expect as an average consumer at that price point..

Last edited:

Bombing IP

We are talking about a simple adjustment with the leather cutting . I will try and cut and paste what I am talking about and edit it with notations as I seem to be not getting my point across.

Jeff

Last edited:

Brettafett

Looks good Shawn... Really, really good.
Consider olive drab thread also.
I'm personally not a fan of reddy russet, but Im sure you have options.
Waist knit - is it tight enough? Looks like it could be a little bit tighter.
Epaulets - They must be just slightly back of centre. I obviously can't try it on myself, but please bear this in mind.
Shawn, are you able to send small leather, thread and knit samples/ swatches?