• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

Brettafett

Shawn, have a look at Andrew's original Doniger also.
Again, compare with your one... Look at the stitching, the gaps and the seams.
www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/david-d-doniger-a2-in-superb-condition.15405/
P1120580_zps016ed186.jpg

P1120581_zps8be4c18e.jpg

P1120582_zps169b9793.jpg

P1120586_zps53291553.jpg

P1120587_zps0ae837d4.jpg

Brettafett

And heres one more resource... Page down to the Doniger. Some really good information and photos of details.

www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail2.html

Shawn, if you study all these resources, and compare with what you have at hand, you may notice small variations, but you will also learn a lot about this jacket.
Its a very unique pattern and quite striking. If you can really get the details down, you will get a lot of support here.

Technonut2112

DAMN!! The Doniger is coming along quite nicely Shawn.. :cool: Once the remaining details are worked-out, I WILL have to blow the moths out of my wallet and get one for certain! As you know, I have 5 of your jackets and none of them are A-2's. Your Doniger will remedy that in short order! ;)

EDIT: I will add that the jacket you made based on the vintage Field & Stream 'leather windbreaker' I supplied pics of is one of my favorites, and fits as I would expect of a made-to-measure jacket. I almost always get complimented on it when I'm out-n-about, and I'm certain it will be in service for many years to come. I also thoroughly enjoy the A-1, and custom 'Waldo Pepper' jackets as well... :)

Last edited:

Shawn Ali

The jacket is nice, and below is my opinion to improve the jacket.

1. push the seam a little bit close to the edges.
2. use golden yellow size tag rather than silver one.
3. the most important, is the thread...Heavy duty thread should be used to make it stronger (look stronger as well).
Copy from Aero leather:
Thread. We use a heavy duty cotton thread with a poly core for extra strength. Forty years of restoring vintage jackets have shown us that the weakest point is invariably the rotting pure cotton thread. We also use a heavy duty spear point leather needle to sew our jackets. The shape of the needle point prevents fraying and thread breakages during make up and later during wear. A thinner needle and cotton thread is perfectly OK in lighter weight leathers, but using this combination in our heavy leathers gives a far higher risk of broken needles and broken thread during make up. Although this is easy to repair invisibly it can leave a hidden weak spot.
View attachment 20388

The Epaulet, the cross should extend to the outer line. 1 is your current epaulet seam, and it should be the second one.
View attachment 20389

And Covered collar snap back
View attachment 20390
Dear @Fognman

I am already lucky to have friends like you, Your suggestions are great and I will update accordingly in my next sample, I will post images for your further review with improvements.

Shawn

Shawn Ali

Looking good Shawn... Nice work so far.
Adding to the above...The epaulets should be slightly back of centre. Pockets are definitely improved.
Does it have inset sleeves?
Make sure you get the join and stitching right at the back of the collar.
Have a look at Goodwear's website and compare with your jacket... Especially the stitching and seams.
This is a great resource and will help fine-tune your jacket!
If I could slap you on the back well-done! I would. Keep going, you're making a great jacket.
Hi Dear @Brettafett

Thanks for your input, Please find attached its Back Collar sleeve's images attached below

Shawn

Attachments

• 1b858758-490d-454c-ad3b-86c018d369ff.jpg
    1b858758-490d-454c-ad3b-86c018d369ff.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 424
  • 007379ce-4c1f-4f2e-861f-29fe1834b2eb.jpg
    007379ce-4c1f-4f2e-861f-29fe1834b2eb.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 410
  • 64848368-84a2-406e-8076-c7281e3b3a0e.jpg
    64848368-84a2-406e-8076-c7281e3b3a0e.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 435

Shawn Ali

And heres one more resource... Page down to the Doniger. Some really good information and photos of details.

www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2detail2.html

Shawn, if you study all these resources, and compare with what you have at hand, you may notice small variations, but you will also learn a lot about this jacket.
Its a very unique pattern and quite striking. If you can really get the details down, you will get a lot of support here.
Dear @Brettafett

Your resources and input is really great, I am already getting help from the said resources.

Much Obliged

Shawn

Shawn Ali

DAMN!! The Doniger is coming along quite nicely Shawn.. :cool: Once the remaining details are worked-out, I WILL have to blow the moths out of my wallet and get one for certain! As you know, I have 5 of your jackets and none of them are A-2's. Your Doniger will remedy that in short order! ;)

EDIT: I will add that the jacket you made based on the vintage Field & Stream 'leather windbreaker' I supplied pics of is one of my favorites, and fits as I would expect of a made-to-measure jacket. I almost always get complimented on it when I'm out-n-about, and I'm certain it will be in service for many years to come. I also thoroughly enjoy the A-1, and custom 'Waldo Pepper' jackets as well... :)
Dear @Technonut2112

Thanks for that, You are always more than welcome any time, I am at your service.

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

I would very much like to get a russet bronco pattern and seal Doniger. Once my bank account recovers from moving half way across the US I think I will indulge myself.

ties70

Hey...the first FS jacket with a collar stand that features leather on the outside and lining on the inside!

Do I see that correctly....you made a WERBER, completely with manufacturer label?

:D

B-Man2

Nice Shawn!
I like the jacket, once again you’ve come a long way and you’ve really upped the quality of your jackets.
Did Daniel ask for a red lining or is that the standard color for that jacket?
Cheers

Shawn Ali

Nice Shawn!
I like the jacket, once again you’ve come a long way and you’ve really upped the quality of your jackets.
Did Daniel ask for a red lining or is that the standard color for that jacket?
Cheers
Dear @B-Man2

Its not the standard colour of the lining it was custom suggested by Mr. Daniel, Its not Red But Mehroon colour. I can add any desired colour of cotton on demand.

Best Regards

Shawn