• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

usafchappyt

Hi folks, still fretting about what leather to choose, Shawn, much as others have reported is being super patient. Dubow goat is too dark for my taste, conic too light. The russet horse is more what I've been looking for.

I'm curious, how do these leathers wear? Is it like an opaque top layer rubbing off to show a light inner layer or more like a full-struck aniline? Do they look better with age or worse? How does steer compare Has anyone seen the pullup horse in person?

johnwayne

Maybe Im wrong but Dubow were all horse, cow/steer - none referenced in ELC’s manual of them using goat, albeit I realise not every contract is specifically covered.

mulceber

Maybe Im wrong but Dubow were all horse, cow/steer - none referenced in ELC’s manual of them using goat, albeit I realise not every contract is specifically covered.

The 27798 was made in both HH and goat. Gary just hadn’t seen any goat examples when he wrote the book.

edit: I was actually incorrect about Gary not having seen one - I just double-checked the entry on the Dubow 27798, and in the "notes of interest" section, he says "The majority of the jackets in this contract are of a hide type as per the subject jacket opposite (Horsehide), however, Goatskin versions were also produced."

Here’s a picture of a goat original:
E4813F2F-0131-430E-86C2-0148CC456604.jpeg

Last edited:

flyincowboy

Got a Roughwear 27752 in mid brown steerhide and i am happy with the leather and the jacket. i am quite sure this jacket will age nicely.Despite the funny sizing I am 46 and it's a 50 this jacket fit me well. the leather is supple and the drappe is nice. The only experience with the 5 star HH are the reinforcement panels which are very nice they start to develop a very nice patina. which i do love.
fred prosper.jpg

B-Man2

Got a Roughwear 27752 in mid brown steerhide and i am happy with the leather and the jacket. i am quite sure this jacket will age nicely.Despite the funny sizing I am 46 and it's a 50 this jacket fit me well. the leather is supple and the drappe is nice. The only experience with the 5 star HH are the reinforcement panels which are very nice they start to develop a very nice patina. which i do love.
View attachment 73298
Can we see close ups of the jacket..,, And the pooch :)

WingAndaPrayer

Does anyone have any of the new horse hide from FiveStar? I’m looking to get a new A2 but I’m concerned about the quality of it after seeing several complaints about the leather flaking off in spots. But, that was also a few months ago. I’m just concerned about getting a jacket and have it flake off

ausreenactor

Have a FibeStar Dubow in a 44 popped into the cart. In talks with an M1903 seller here in Australia at the same time. The decision paralysis is excruciating... Cant have too many .30-06 rifles!

ausreenactor

Does anyone have any of the new horse hide from FiveStar? I’m looking to get a new A2 but I’m concerned about the quality of it after seeing several complaints about the leather flaking off in spots. But, that was also a few months ago. I’m just concerned about getting a jacket and have it flake off
Possibly an early batch of hide. Have you had a look at the FB page? Message a recent buyer. See what they say perhaps.

usafchappyt

With respect to all those who love and have advized the special Dubow goat, the russet horsehide is really what I'm looking for so I'm going in that direction.

Here are my measurements compared to the measurements for the off-the-rack M/42 size from the Dubow horsehide listing:

1644853165065.png

I halved the shoulder/shoulder measurement and added to the sleeve measurement to get a shirt-style sleeve measurement (ie, I'm 34" sleeve). They seem to compare but the Dubow is longer by an inch. Normally I do find sleeves to be too short in outerwear, so I'd hesitate to get shorter sleeves unless knowledgeably advized otherwise.

For those who know fivestar and/or Dubow sizing, does the off the rack M/42 sound realistic?

36150-hh-red_1024x1024.jpg

Grant

The 27798 was made in both HH and goat. Gary just hadn’t seen any goat examples when he wrote the book.

edit: I was actually incorrect about Gary not having seen one - I just double-checked the entry on the Dubow 27798, and in the "notes of interest" section, he says "The majority of the jackets in this contract are of a hide type as per the subject jacket opposite (Horsehide), however, Goatskin versions were also produced."

Here’s a picture of a goat original:
View attachment 73296

Here's another goat 27798, this one all original.
goat.jpg

ausreenactor

With respect to all those who love and have advized the special Dubow goat, the russet horsehide is really what I'm looking for so I'm going in that direction.

Here are my measurements compared to the measurements for the off-the-rack M/42 size from the Dubow horsehide listing:

View attachment 74802

I halved the shoulder/shoulder measurement and added to the sleeve measurement to get a shirt-style sleeve measurement (ie, I'm 34" sleeve). They seem to compare but the Dubow is longer by an inch. Normally I do find sleeves to be too short in outerwear, so I'd hesitate to get shorter sleeves unless knowledgeably advized otherwise.

For those who know fivestar and/or Dubow sizing, does the off the rack M/42 sound realistic?

View attachment 74800

God I LOVE spreadsheets!

Grant

Grant, could you please post the measurements of this original, very interesting to compare with repro size charts

So sorry in the delay in getting these measurements. Here's what the sz 42 goat Dubow measures:

Arm pit to arm pit - 22"
Sleeve length from shoulder seam to end of knit cuff: 25"
Shoulder width: 17 1/2"
Back length from base of collar seam to bottom of knit: 25 1/8"