• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

zoomer

No Shawn, Willis & Geiger never had an Army A-2 contract (altho they used to claim they'd had the very first one - not true). Their A-2s are all reproductions made in the 1970s-'80s.

As I found out for myself, W & G A-2s used a thick acrylic finish that was very resistant to re-dyeing. I applied a coat of Kelly's Cobler dark brown and found it took way too long to dry.

Your shop did an incredible job restoring that piece! I may have to send you a few mistakes of my own!

33-1729

I agree, the shop did a great job restoring that piece.

A bit more info ... Willis & Geiger Outfitters said they were awarded a 1931 U.S. Navy Air Corps contract for an “A-2” flight jacket, but they probably confused it with a Navy G-1 type versus the U.S. Army Air Corp type A-2. In the Hell-Bent for Leather book by Nelson & Parsons they said a number of companies submitted possible open cockpit flight jacket designs in the fall of 1930, but that a committee took bits of each to create the A-2, so no single company or person was responsible for the A-2 design. Willis & Geiger Outfitters also said the re-spec’d the A-2 in 1988 for the Air Force and they did work with Avirex, who made a several hundred jackets in 1987 for the USAF 40th anniversary, to come up with a one page document for the A-2 seal brown goatskin re-design as the Air Force was unable to find the original A-2 drawings (aka make it like the W&GO style A-2 or Avirex style 2107G). W&GO didn’t get a government contract, Cooper Sportswear did, and the book defines the WG&O A-2 as a replica jacket.

Shawn Ali

No Shawn, Willis & Geiger never had an Army A-2 contract (altho they used to claim they'd had the very first one - not true). Their A-2s are all reproductions made in the 1970s-'80s.

As I found out for myself, W & G A-2s used a thick acrylic finish that was very resistant to re-dyeing. I applied a coat of Kelly's Cobler dark brown and found it took way too long to dry.

Your shop did an incredible job restoring that piece! I may have to send you a few mistakes of my own!
Hi Dear @zoomer

Thanks for the information much helpful, so according to your view making repro's of Repro's is good idea or not.

Shawn

Shawn Ali

I agree, the shop did a great job restoring that piece.

A bit more info ... Willis & Geiger Outfitters said they were awarded a 1931 U.S. Navy Air Corps contract for an “A-2” flight jacket, but they probably confused it with a Navy G-1 type versus the U.S. Army Air Corp type A-2. In the Hell-Bent for Leather book by Nelson & Parsons they said a number of companies submitted possible open cockpit flight jacket designs in the fall of 1930, but that a committee took bits of each to create the A-2, so no single company or person was responsible for the A-2 design. Willis & Geiger Outfitters also said the re-spec’d the A-2 in 1988 for the Air Force and they did work with Avirex, who made a several hundred jackets in 1987 for the USAF 40th anniversary, to come up with a one page document for the A-2 seal brown goatskin re-design as the Air Force was unable to find the original A-2 drawings (aka make it like the W&GO style A-2 or Avirex style 2107G). W&GO didn’t get a government contract, Cooper Sportswear did, and the book defines the WG&O A-2 as a replica jacket.
Great, Its really Informational.

Thanks for that.

Shawn

Skyhawk

Something consider, if you are restoring an original you're going to want to make sure the correct materials are used. G-1's have Rayon liners, and 100% wool knits. If you are going through the trouble of restoring it, it would be a shame to use non-spec materials.

What are the materials used in 5 Star jackets liners and knits?

Shawn Ali

Something consider, if you are restoring an original you're going to want to make sure the correct materials are used. G-1's have Rayon liners, and 100% wool knits. If you are going through the trouble of restoring it, it would be a shame to use non-spec materials.

What are the materials used in 5 Star jackets liners and knits?
Dear @Skyhawk

Thanks for highlighting, The A-2 which we restored we do not used our Knitting's on them, instead of that we used Wool Knitting's sent to us with the jacket from our customer, Zipper and Labels were also sent by them. We only reassembled them.

Although we have Rayon linings but if any customer want's to do this at his own and want to send us their own authentic raw materials simply do it and send us, we will resembled them accordingly.

Best Regards

Shawn

Dario G.

Good morning to all the friends of this forum. In addition to being a lucky collector of the stunning A2 jackets, produced by Shown's Fivestars Leather, I wanted to show you my latest purchase, of which I am extremely proud. This is the jacket of the "Eastman Leather Clo" mod. A2. Here are some pictures. Any comments are welcome.

Attachments

• eastman a2  (1).jpg
    eastman a2 (1).jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 344
  • eastman a2  (2).jpg
    eastman a2 (2).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 353
  • eastman a2  (4).jpg
    eastman a2 (4).jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 367
  • eastman a2  (5).jpg
    eastman a2 (5).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 319
  • eastman a2  (7).jpg
    eastman a2 (7).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 330
  • eastman a2  (10).jpg
    eastman a2 (10).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 321
  • eastman a2  (12).jpg
    eastman a2 (12).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 336
  • eastman a2  (13).jpg
    eastman a2 (13).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 362
  • eastman a2  (14).jpg
    eastman a2 (14).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 308
  • eastman a2  (16).jpg
    eastman a2 (16).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 375

Dario G.

So that some of you stored your nose, but for my convenience, I had my trusted tailor make two inside pockets on my A2 Eastman Leather Clo Jacket.

Attachments

• eastman a2  (6).jpg
    eastman a2 (6).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 373
  • eastman a2  (3).jpg
    eastman a2 (3).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 386
  • eastman a2  (11).jpg
    eastman a2 (11).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 378
  • eastman a2  (9).jpg
    eastman a2 (9).jpg