• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

Sasquatch?

My French is too lousy respectively not existing ...

Wasn’ that specific jacket-type more navy-issued rather than Army Airforce?
Hah no, it means something intangible that makes an improvement, loosely translated. They had a navy version that had the inside wind flap and no epaulettes like the m422. That’s the style that Aero has on their site. I’ve seen period photos of the A-2 style being worn by army aviators. From what I understand the anj wasn’t an official piece of kit and was given out ad hoc. Some information I’ve read after a google search said they were purely civilian jackets. Other articles say it was in the test phase when all leather flight jackets were canceled in favor of the B-10 jacket.

Grant

The AN specification means intended issue for both Army and Navy, so theoretically it could've seen service in the Pacific with the 5th AF. According to Aota, there were two dates issued to the ANJ3: April 15 and April 27, 1943, but no manufacturer listed.

Saint-ex

I can not wait to receive it.

Kennyz

Wow is that nice!!! Congratulations, Blueknight54!

Ken

Here is the aforementioned AN-J-3 from five star. As far as I know I’m the first to have one here, or the first to post anything about it. My apologies if I’m wrong.

The jacket arrived in a tidy nylon bag with the 5 star logo on it, which I thought was a nice touch.

It’s been mentioned here more than once that the leather from 5 star has a chemical smell. This one doesn’t. Just a pleasing mellow leather smell.

The leather itself has a nice rich dark russet color to it. And the goatskin has some good grain to it. Now, having said that, the leather is fairly stiff. But I’m sure with enough wear it will become supple as goatskin usually does.

The construction is excellent! Not a stitch out of place. And the knits are very nice. They don’t seem loose or thin by any means and are dull purple in color. I opted for the burgundy liner and the pictures don’t do it justice. It’s very smooth and silky.

It came with a triple talon zip and plastic buttons. I’ve never handled an original ANJ so I’m not sure how accurate this is. The collar has the zig zag stitching pattern I’ve seen on pictures of an original. This jacket isn’t patterned after any particular manufacturer.

It’s hot as hell in Texas right now so I’ve only worn the jacket briefly, and I’m pleased to say it fits like a glove! I sent Shawn my measurements and he nailed it. I don’t feel any constricting across my back, or pinching in my upper arms when I lift them above chest height, I can effortlessly cross my arms across my chest and it doesn’t ride up when I sit or move my arms around.

Now the cons.

I measured the sleeves wrong so now I will have to have them shortened, but that’s my fault. I ordered the jacket with snap pockets but it came with buttons. But I can live with that, it’s more accurate anyway. But that’s it. This is by far the nicest leather jacket I’ve had in years and it’s the only one that ever fit me so well. I would have to say I would recommend this jacket to anyone considering purchasing one.

Saint-ex

Received.

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-30 at 13.32.31.jpeg

I gonna make a full review tonight at home, right now just a short fit hidden in the storage room... :D

The first impression is pretty good.
The leather is thick, rather rigid.
The color, I'm waiting to see it in the sunlight, but the colors in the photos Shawn shared scared me a little. But it seems to be not bad.
Size is well tight. Shawn advice was 50 and I choose 48 because I do not wanted a loose fit. 48 is ok, but tight. Let see after few wear.

Thanks @shawn for your patience and to have produced my jacket so quickly. Thanks also to @Brettafett for his advice.

Imuricecreamman

A very good fit on you. Are the tightness coming from the shoulders and armholes? Length looks perfect. Will be great to see the color in natural light.

B-Man2

Jacket looks good on you but zip it up so we can get a better prospective of the total fit. Also would you please list the measurements of the entire jacket Shoulders chest arms and length? Trying to get an idea of the size of a 48. Thanks

Bombing IP

So far so good but your boiler room is a little dark cannot gauge the colour ,zipped up would be good .

Jeff

Saint-ex

So, I arrived at home to late to make pictures with sunlight.

Just pics zipped up:

Back before hands up

Back after hands up

So, I wore the jacket in the cockpit of my Fiat 500 :p to get back from work.
Closed jacket, I was a little tight to the shoulders but nothing awesome.
In fact the size is good. But I do not think I can wear a sweater underneath. It's mostly the sleeves that are tight. But we'll see how it relaxes.

I just studied the jacket, the details are really not bad at all.
About the smell, it is true that it gives off a slight smell of glue (I saw that the pockets were glued and sewn) which takes a little head in the long run, but it should pass.
I bought a leather briefcase made in Italy that emitted the same smell when it came out of the plastic. It's a matter of a few days.

To have seen Eastman and Aero Leather A-2 in Paris, it's not comparable. But, Eastman was 1250 euros and this one 1/5 of that, and I was not ready to put this price without to be sure to fit

Maybe the next one. So, Right now I'm quite happy with my Five Star.

Last picture for fun, in a nod to my nickname.

Last edited: