• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 JACKET

Brettafett

With all of the additions and upgrades being suggested, at some point the price of this jacket will have to increase to accodate all of our requests. Every suggestion and addition will reduce the profit margin once incorporated into the design . So my question is, with all of our suggestions and requested upgrades are we ok with the increase in pricing that may possibly follow?

Yes, its true and this is also part of it…

A basic jacket that ‘looks’ like a Bronco (in this case) for £99 or whatever is fine, and certainly could be a great basic jacket for anyone wanting something on a budget, but then understand it will not very likely have all the specific detailing an original-contract copy should have…
And how would you know what to incl without the original in your possession. You can’t create an ‘real’ original-maker jacket from emails and photos.
Scalloped pocket flaps alone, do not a Bronco make.

But thats the point of difference. The team at AVI are ‘classic’ flight jacket enthusiasts, and as such, chose to invest resources to buy an original WW2 jacket, study it, have patterns made and grading done (relatively speaking), and are focused on trying to get the details right; pattern, label, stamps, correct zippers, correct studs, throat hooks etc… They are still working on developments to get it closer to the originals, so their jacket emulates the original WW2 jacket in their possession, as close as possible.
This all adds more expense in time, resources and money… and so should naturally sell for more than a jacket made in the same/ similar factory, but with less detailing/ interest in those details (not to mention the time and money developing their website, aimed at original-maker jacket enthusiasts).

I know this because I was one of the first guys to buy one of their jackets, back when it was a 'generic' look-a-like… and have witnessed how they have improved, jacket upon jacket… By doing it properly, by investing, studying and developing their jackets.

I am sorry, but it just irks me when people (anyone) goes into a lot of effort to develop something and then someone comes along and uses this work (without permission or agreement… without actually understanding what or why they are doing what they are doing… adding for example XYZ zippers, XYZ press studs or double-ply seamless knit of a certain mid-brown colour… Not actually understanding why or what the difference between a Bronco, Doniger and a Roughwear is…) Except that someone is selling a product that is attracting interest, and they want some of that cake.

Please do not misunderstand, I am NOT accusing anyone, but there it is… THIS jacket, this Bronco pattern with these details was NOT available in or out of Pakistan, until AVI developed their jacket. And this goes for the G-1 55J14 also. Period.

It has been said a lot, you get what you pay for, and this holds true in everything.

Personally, I am enthusiastic about anyone wanting to get into this and make decent jackets.
For years I have asked why someone who already makes budget repro flight jackets, has not done what AVI has done before - source an original WW2 jacket and copy the details, to make make a fairly decent WW2 jacket at a lower price point. This has bee my primary motivation in supporting a crew like AVI (and they ate a lot of flak a while back for their efforts).

All these other guys are copying a copy and selling it for less. But, its not the same jacket.
China are doing the same thing, copying top tier repros and selling the copy-copy (not bad looking mind you!) for a lot less.

Shawn, your jackets do look nice, and Im sure they are quality... Techno’s A-1 looks real good. Well-made for sure! You certainly know how to make a good jacket. Hopefully one day, I will get to try one.
If you could acquire an original jacket, whatever that jacket may be, military or vintage civilian… and make it your own, that would be fantastic.
But you are not going to get a decent copy, from pictures or understand what guys are talking about, unless you get the 'real deal' into your hands. That is IF you want to make a jacket like this. Its not necessarily necessary.

A quality ‘house’ generic A-2 jacket, for £99 is still a great product and I’m sure will attract interest, you can customise it as much as you like… you can put a Bronco label on it, who will stop you, but it its not a Bronco, nor could you honestly call it a ‘real’ Bronco copy, until you have an original in your possession, can study it and the nuances of how they are built, the materials used, you will never discover the real secrets of these jackets…

The guys on this forum and others do know a ton, and have years and years experience handling these jackets, and I am glad you are keen to learn and develop your stuff.

Focus on your own ‘house’ pattern, copy as many details as you like (but don’t put a specific original-maker’s label on it. Copy the look of the military label for sure, but then call it Five Star Leathers or anything else... and give it a random number). Much like you have done with Techno's lovely A-1!
Or if you want to step up… Find your own original and copy that. Im sure it will turn out great.

Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Shawn Ali

I must say that overall, I am quite happy with what I see. :cool: The 1.2mm goat looks more than durable, and substantial for the vintage 'Leather Windbreaker' it replicates. I am confident from the other jackets ordered and received that my requested measurements were followed precisely on this one as well. ;) Instead of the poly / rayon the original appeared to be, I went with a comfortable 100% cotton lining in both the body & sleeves. I asked for it in a 'nice blue', and I think that 5-Star obliged well. :) I continue to be impressed with 5-Star's jackets for the $$, and Shawn's attention in seeing that my customization requests are completed.

I've liked the original Gordon & Ferguson "Field & Stream Goatskin Leather Windbreaker' of this design since I first saw it on eBay and saved the pics. It wasn't in my size, but I was hoping another may come along. Fast-forward a few years, and one still has not surfaced.. :( Luckily, I think that 5-Star's rendition will do me nicely now. Thanks Shawn!! :)

(Lining is 100% cotton, both body & sleeves)

View attachment 10422 View attachment 10423 View attachment 10425 View attachment 10426

EDIT: Here's a couple pics of the original sent to Shawn to use as a reference:

View attachment 10427

View attachment 10428
Dear Wayne,

Thanks for the detailed guide regarding this jacket, I really learnet alot from your experience.

You are great.

Shawn

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

Bombing IP

Hi
Hi BIP

I don't know much about you but after reading your great analysis on A2 and very kind very kind and generous suggestions I can say that you are a great man with a spirit.

I will follow your suggestions.. Please keep waiting soon I will show you a very brilliant Repro on Cowhide A2, you can post me any suggestions on that I will surely follow them and will show you that even today something really dont worth money only..

Thanks for your suggestions again.

You are great..

Shawn

Shawn
I am truly excited about your foray into the military jacket market .With your knowledge of manufacture and sewing and hints from our members ,all of us have OCD when it comes to details . This forum can be the blueprint for you to one of the best military jacket makers . I wish you well . I have been into A2 jackets since 1976 even my wife knows the difference between a G1 and an A2 when we watch films . Saw my first A2 in the flesh in the Thrift store Battersea London England 1975 ,never looked back .Now I am living in NY for 30 years .

Kind regards BIP

Shawn Ali

A basic jacket that ‘looks’ like a Bronco (in this case) for £99 or whatever is fine, and certainly could be a great basic jacket for anyone wanting something on a budget, but then understand it will not very likely have all the specific detailing an original-contract copy should have…
And how would you know what to incl without the original in your possession. You can’t create an ‘real’ original-maker jacket from emails and photos.

But thats the point of difference. The team at AVI are ‘classic’ flight jacket enthusiasts, and as such, chose to invest resources to buy an original WW2 jacket, study it, have patterns made and grading done (relatively speaking), and are focused on trying to get the details right; pattern, label, stamps, correct zippers, correct studs, throat hooks etc… They are still working on developments to get it closer to the originals, so their jacket emulates the original WW2 jacket in their possession, as close as possible.
This all adds more expense in time, resources and money… and so should naturally sell for more than a jacket made in the same/ similar factory, but with less detailing/ interest in those details (not to mention the time and money developing their website, aimed at original-maker jacket enthusiasts).

I know this because I was one of the first guys to buy one of their jackets, back when it was a 'generic' look-a-like… and have witnessed how they have improved, jacket upon jacket… By doing it properly, by investing, studying and developing their jackets.

I am sorry, but it just irks me when people (anyone) goes into a lot of effort to develop something and then someone comes along and uses this work (without permission or agreement… without actually understanding what or why they are doing what they are doing… adding for example XYZ zippers, XYZ press studs or double-ply seamless knit of a certain mid-brown colour… Not actually understanding why or what the difference between a Bronco, Doniger and a Roughwear is…) Except that someone is selling a product that is attracting interest, and they want some of that cake.

Please do not misunderstand, I am NOT accusing anyone, but there it is… THIS jacket, this Bronco pattern with these details was NOT available in or out of Pakistan, until AVI developed their jacket. And this goes for the G-1 55J14 also. Period.

It has been said a lot, you get what you pay for, and this holds true in everything.

Personally, I am enthusiastic about anyone wanting to get into this and make decent jackets.
For years I have asked why someone who already makes budget repro flight jackets, has not done what AVI has done before - source an original WW2 jacket and copy the details, to make make a fairly decent WW2 jacket at a lower price point. This has bee my primary motivation in supporting a crew like AVI (and they ate a lot of flak a while back for their efforts).

All these other guys are copying a copy and selling it for less. But, its not the same jacket.
China are doing the same thing, copying top tier repros and selling the copy-copy (not bad looking mind you!) for a lot less.

Shawn, your jackets do look nice, and Im sure they are quality... Techno’s A-1 looks real good. Well-made for sure! You certainly know how to make a good jacket. Hopefully one day, I will get to try one.
If you could acquire an original jacket, whatever that jacket may be, military or vintage civilian… and make it your own, that would be fantastic.
But you are not going to get a decent copy, from pictures or understand what guys are talking about, unless you get the 'real deal' into your hands. That is IF you want to make a jacket like this. Its not necessarily necessary.

A quality ‘house’ generic A-2 jacket, for £99 is still a great product and I’m sure will attract interest, you can customise it as much as you like… you can put a Bronco label on it, who will stop you, but it its not a Bronco, nor could you honestly call it a ‘real’ Bronco copy, until you have an original in your possession, can study it and the nuances of how they are built, the materials used, you will never discover the real secrets of these jackets…

The guys on this forum and others do know a ton, and have years and years experience handling these jackets, and I am glad you are keen to learn and develop your stuff.

Focus on your own ‘house’ pattern, copy as many details as you like (but don’t put a specific original-maker’s label on it. Copy the look of the military label for sure, but then call it Five Star Leathers or anything else... and give it a random number). Much like you have done with Techno's lovely A-1!
Or if you want to step up… Find your own original and copy that. Im sure it will turn out great.

I always adopt the good things.. Thanks for the suggestions and discussing improvements

Shawn Ali

Hi

Shawn
I am truly excited about your foray into the military jacket market .With your knowledge of manufacture and sewing and hints from our members ,all of us have OCD when it comes to details . This forum can be the blueprint for you to one of the best military jacket makers . I wish you well . I have been into A2 jackets since 1976 even my wife knows the difference between a G1 and an A2 when we watch films . Saw my first A2 in the flesh in the Thrift store Battersea London England 1975 ,never looked back .Now I am living in NY for 30 years .

Kind regards BIP
Very Interesting ... You really have a great knowlege of history of A2 and G1.. I am sure I will learn alot by your experience ...

Bombing IP

Brettafett (Quote)

(quote)

I 100% agree with the above comments something I had not thought of . You can Buy damaged original A-2s on eBay for a couple of hundred dollars then pull them apart measure study and execute the pattern and offer it to the market stating the research put into the final product then copy the label .

BIP

Technonut2112

Techno’s A-1 looks real good. Well-made for sure! You certainly know how to make a good jacket. Hopefully one day, I will get to try one.

There's nothing out there that can touch these true made-to-measure jackets from decent goatskin of around 1.0mm for the $$. EDIT: Hell, they even have some 1.2mm now.. Both are great thicknesses for flight jackets IMO. The A-1 pattern is nice, and has the contrasting thread and detailing like Bronson's. As I posted before, I actually like this one better than the Bronson, especially considering that 5-Star's was about $100.00 USD less, AND made-to-measure...:eek:;)

The 'Waldo Pepper' jacket is exceptional IMO.. I honestly would have been happy if I would have received it from U.S. Authentic as a custom-job for $625.00 USD (IF only the knits were 100% wool, and genuine horn buttons / bone backers used ;) ).. :) The attention 5-Star devoted to reducing their stock jacket pocket size / flap shape to resemble movie photos, the premium goat, the fit, and 100% cotton lining truly propelled this jacket into something special for me.. :cool:

It's difficult to find vintage A-1 / Cossack-styled leather jackets for a reasonable price *period* these days. RRL, and the company who makes the 'Menlo Park' jackets (Levis?) comes to mind, but they are of course expensive (and also imported), and not made-to-measure.. ;) I'm happy that 5-Star can scratch this and similar vintage-design itches for my wardrobe at a reasonable cost... :)

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

I don't think he will respond to specific points like this or my post. For what's it worth I have handled one of the basic G1s made by this company. The one Ken put up a picture of on that AVI thread in the summer which he thought was pretty good at the money and the same as AVI were selling. I thought it was terrible. The goat was plastic and bland and worse than those awful A2s that were given out in the eighties when the USAF started issuing them again. Made by Cooper I think they were.

I don't know if the more expensive ones use better hides but to me it looked what it was - a £99 jacket. Sorry Shawn but that's my honest opinion.

Shawn Ali

Brettafett (Quote)

(quote)

I 100% agree with the above comments something I had not thought of . You can Buy damaged original A-2s on eBay for a couple of hundred dollars then pull them apart measure study and execute the pattern and offer it to the market stating the research put into the final product then copy the label .

BIP
I like your quote and soon i will fill threads with new repros.. I am going to work on it.. Also i did this before..

Technonut2112

I don't think he will respond to specific points like this or my post. For what's it worth I have handled one of the basic G1s made by this company. The one Ken put up a picture of on that AVI thread in the summer which he thought was pretty good at the money and the same as AVI were selling. I thought it was terrible. The goat was plastic and bland and worse than those awful A2s that were given out in the eighties when the USAF started issuing them again. Made by Cooper I think they were.

I don't know if the more expensive ones use better hides but to me it looked what it was - a £99 jacket. Sorry Shawn but that's my honest opinion.

I have 3 of their goatskin jackets, and do not find any of them 'plasticy'... The goat is supple, yet durable. I would call it reasonable garment grade, especially for the cost. One is not going to receive upper-tier hides in a made-to-measure jacket for $140.00 USD..

EDIT: I'm also looking quite forward to seeing detailed pics of the capeskin, deerskin, and cowhide which Shawn mentioned getting in the near future as well... ;)

Last edited:

Bombing IP

Which company are you talking about ,responding to your post . Re the Cooper jackets in the 1980s ,look at the style of the time that company was not about a correct WW2 reproduction Type A-2 . Everyone was wearing baggy jackets ,the face of the jacket was correct . So we are back to making jackets from photos trap . The back and side of the Cooper were wrong ,but then the Avirex A2 was the ultimate reproduction jacket . We have leaped ahead today with the advent of the internet more info out there and groups like us with knowledge and research .You cannot compare yesterday fruits with to days offerings we are so much more educated . If you wanted an A2 in 1980 you had to buy an aircraft magazine to find makers like Eastman , Sefton or word of mouth about the thrift store .

BIP

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

"Brett, thou doth protest too much, methinks" appropriately from Hamlet, The Prince of................

Ken at Aero Leather

But do you buy from the factory which was supplying AVI or are connected with that factory? And is the factory making the Bronco using the patterns that AVI made after their own research, and after I think dismantling an original? And is that the Bronco you're selling?

Shawn

I was the first person to recommend Five Star on here. If you want to keep me onside I'd advise a truthful answer, I do have the emails :>)

Flightengineer

It seems to me that the one who is seriously interested in copying the original jacket would have bought the original long ago, albeit in a poor condition. This thought just obviously.
Tips to the manufacturer in this thread look rather strange :)

Ken at Aero Leather

Hi Shawn Ali

Here is a jacket on eBay you would be forgiven for dismantling ,they are accepting best offer .You could get it for $150 I bet .Its a Star Sports wear in size 42 a very desirable jacket pattern .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-AR...=item4687aa917d:g:m80AAOSwwhhbSAUE:rk:48:pf:0

BIP

Maybe another original maker would be a better idea
Star Sportswear is registered business name, I wonder if they've noticed ELC's use of the name? They do have a past history of using other company's registered trade names

Last edited:

Bombing IP

It seems to me that the one who is seriously interested in copying the original jacket would have bought the original long ago, albeit in a poor condition. This thought just obviously.
Tips to the manufacturer in this thread look rather strange :)

Yes maybe ,but I look at it like this .He is a man with a passion looking for advice ,we have told him your doing this wrong you should do this blah blah . He has come back and said thank you for the info , so that shows me he is sincere about getting right . The company probably has a history of making things from a picture with customers dimensions ,so he needs to change the habit of a lifetime . He has offered up products with photos on the site and we have critiqued them ,with out argument from him so its been absorbed to make the product better . Why he never bought an original is just dawning on him ,he probably though Goverment contract A2 they must be all the same .I like to give him the benefit of the doubt and help him so he does not have to reinvent the wheel .

BIP

Shawn Ali

I read all of your comments some were favorable and some may not, But I respect all of your's feedback and I will act on many new things I learned today from you.. So I can say that all who suggested me new improvements and changings, and creativity I respect your idea's...

2BM2K

If you are going to make a Bronco then please try to make an accurate label

Some original Bronco labels;

29191.jpg

b1.jpg

label1.jpg