• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A2 in horsehide

Bombing IP

Hi Thomas I am also very excited to see the jacket fit on you ,every jacket you wear looks good on you . I am interested in this new leather and its progression to battle worn look ,I think it has the good potential . I am also interested to see how the epaulette's lay , wish you well with your purchase of the # 1 A2 Horsehide of many .

BIP

Officer Dibley

I'm really looking forward to seeing the fit pics Thomas.

It's quite remarkable the improvements that Shawn has made in the year or so since he first posted here. Comparing those first examples to what he's making now, he's really making progress.
Much like the progression of John Chapman who’s earliest efforts were average. Something to be expected of course but when i dared say it at the time, i got mullered !

These are nice jackets for sure but i smile when i think how people ooh’d & aaah’d over minor collar and pocket deviations of repros against a tiny sample of originals and how standards have slipped and we have moved the “happy line” as we found high end repros move out of most of our reaches....

None of our opinions matter really if the owner of a jacket likes his. The danger comes when a happy owner posts on here and folk are luke warm, that can end the jacket romance and see one moved on

B-Man2

Just got a notice the jacket passed customs so should arrive at my house by Monday - unfortunately i will be on the way to Alabama on Monday and not be back before Friday

Another week of biting fingernails and inpatient waiting
Yes but when you get to Alabama you’ll have a nice warm N-3B Parka waiting for you there to keep you warm and toasty in the 95 degree heat wave we’re having right now;)
Have a fun and safe trip over here:)

Thomas Koehle

Yes but when you get to Alabama you’ll have a nice warm N-3B Parka waiting for you there to keep you warm and toasty in the 95 degree heat wave we’re having right now;)
Have a fun and safe trip over here:)

Yeeeeesh ...

Almost forgot that one Burt. I also ordered a complete USN set from ATF using that memorial-day discount - seems I will need that bug suitcase this time

B-Man2

Yeeeeesh ...

Almost forgot that one Burt. I also ordered a complete USN set from ATF using that memorial-day discount - seems I will need that bug suitcase this time
Thomas
You will definitely will need the big suit case that N-3B is a bulky coat.
Cheers

Thomas Koehle

Gents here you go:

wDJ84O9.jpg

imUt2zs.jpg

gihYxzV.jpg

Sorry for that grumpy face - i came straight out of the airplane when i found the package with the jackets, gone for walk the Dogs and after that took the piccies ...

The hh is very soft and smooth - Quality of craftmanship is 5* Standard - fit is a bit thight around the chest (maybe i need to slow down with those bench-presses) but was ordered by me in this way

i will post some Detail pics this weekend

besides the jacket for me i also ordered one for my wife - same material - A2 also (at least a "wanna be") but heavily converted in the proportions - her jacket came out EXACTLY like expected and she is highly satisfied

if anyone would ask me whether to order or not i'd say: go for it

Smithy

Not bad at all Thomas. It'll loosen up with wear obviously so just wear it.

One thing I'd do a bit of work with is that collar, maybe some HWT but it looks like it needs a bit of beating into submission. I'm probably biased though as I tend to like A-2s and A-2 patterns which have a bigger and/or longer collar than that.

For the money though a damn good beater. Let's see the missus' one too!

Thomas Koehle

Not bad at all Thomas. It'll loosen up with wear obviously so just wear it.

One thing I'd do a bit of work with is that collar, maybe some HWT but it looks like it needs a bit of beating into submission. I'm probably biased though as I tend to like A-2s and A-2 patterns which have a bigger and/or longer collar than that.

For the money though a damn good beater. Let's see the missus' one too!

You are right Smithy, the collar is a bit on the short side and could be longer ... - should mention that to Shawn when ordering ...

Attached the pics of my wifes jacket.

Again: my wife's jacket is completely out of the Proportion of a A2 following the WW2 Standard. The jacket is heavily converted to meet my wife's taste in terms of lenght and fit. The changes have been specifically requested by me so if you don't like the fit or shape of the jacket don't blame Shawn.

As for anyone else: i know we all on this forum are gentlemen so i do not expect any comments about my wife

KvxtOlo.jpg

EZUxsax.jpg

Bombing IP

I got to say your wifes jacket look great ,yours need some wearing to get that leather to mold but looks good . .If the leather is as soft as you say it should be no problem .Your wifes jacket reminds me of the fashion in the later eighties when women would cut down the length of Levi denim jackets so the hem was touching the top of the jeans . I think you wifes jacket may start a fashion trend,it needs a USAAF roundel on the shoulder and a Capri bell .

BIP

B-Man2

Thomas
I think both jackets look pretty good on you and your wife. It surprised me that Platon makes woman’s jackets. I didn’t realize that.
Enjoy the jacket and treat it like it’s just a piece of kit. It will progressively look better with age.
Congrats
B

Bombing IP

Shawn here we are on the cusp of the A2 forum wish list and not a word from you,no future plans .No prices no pictures of other jackets or comments on what has been said about the jacket Thomas has . Very strange promotion position ,or maybe your very busy ? .What with the LHS front ripple between the sleeve and the body of the 5XL you made .Will it self correct or is it an error in the armhole size relation to the sleeve being bigger ?.

BIP

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Sean, i’d not blame you for never coming back on here. People insult you, goad you and no guarantee their behavior is anything more than academic interest and browbeating with no intent to ever buy.
Good luck with your venture. You have more balls than certain “warriors” on here & it’s hardly life and death is it ?!
And if they don’t like your wares, let them buy a Cooper !

Micawber

Sean, i’d not blame you for never coming back on here. People insult you, goad you and no guarantee their behavior is anything more than academic interest and browbeating with no intent to ever buy.
Good luck with your venture. You have more balls than certain “warriors” on here & it’s hardly life and death is it ?!
And if they don’t like your wares, let them buy a Cooper !

Well said that man. Naysayers just have to naysay.