• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A1 JACKET

ties70

Unfortunately yes. Most of us buy them only to take pictures. :D

...here is my Dad's one year old FS... I wear it today, honestly, I do, but there's a new company moving in...they covered the elevator mirrors with cardboard, whole truth...

IMG_20200504_1350558~2.jpg

petermack09

I have now a received a very nice A1 jacket from fivestar. I can confirm that there is an extreme chemical smell in the package, you should open it outside. It smells like some lubricant like WD40 or something. There is also some oily stuff on the package, maybe thats it. The jacket itself does not smell chemical, it smells a bit but natural, more like animal, like goat or sheep (makes sense since I have a lamb leather jacket). I think that is a good sign.
Mine still gives headaches,,yes it smells like an animal but the animal is a skunk:)it’s shame because apart from the smell it’s an ok jacket .

ButteMT61

Mine still gives headaches,,yes it smells like an animal but the animal is a skunk:)it’s shame because apart from the smell it’s an ok jacket .
Well, for me, if a leather jacket doesn't make me want to sleep with it, I'd be pissed! I have not ever bought a new leather jacket (or gloves, shoes, etc) that didn't delight with new leather smell...

petermack09

To be fair the jacket only cost about £100,,the goatskin feels ok and the fit is actually quite good.The killer is the chemical smell and (my pet hate)the buttons are too big and poorly sewn,Buttons have been fastened twice to try loosen the buttonholes,,this is the result ,,
The buttons on the Eastman A1 at least lasted a year or so before starting to go south,

Attachments

• D8E6891D-7B5A-43A8-B0E7-D4CF63E09E26.jpeg
    D8E6891D-7B5A-43A8-B0E7-D4CF63E09E26.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 354
  • A58D5865-4503-4B0C-8AF8-745409DE7F0A.jpeg
    A58D5865-4503-4B0C-8AF8-745409DE7F0A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 374
  • 3B585BDA-13AC-4E31-9880-B9185A61447A.jpeg
    3B585BDA-13AC-4E31-9880-B9185A61447A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 358

Shawn Ali

To be fair the jacket only cost about £100,,the goatskin feels ok and the fit is actually quite good.The killer is the chemical smell and (my pet hate)the buttons are too big and poorly sewn,Buttons have been fastened twice to try loosen the buttonholes,,this is the result ,,
The buttons on the Eastman A1 at least lasted a year or so before starting to go south,

Hi Dear Mr. @petermack09

Thanks for informing us about the problem I will work to stop this problem in the future, Can you please date me your order to check the production order and quality control report, than I would be better able to inform you, further if the buying is within 30 days we will pay you for the repair charges to fix them.

Best Regards

Shawn

petermack09

No worries Shawn,the jacket was purchased last June,but hadn’t been worn because of the chemical smell.still a bit stinky but not as bad,,it’s been in the shed since purchasing so it hadn’t been worn.You were kind enough to offer a full refund at the time but I turned it down as you were honest and upfront.plus the cost of the jacket was low,when the buttons fall off I will probably get slightly smaller buttons sewn on properly.I just thought you should be aware of issues.Smell & buttons aside it’s ok,regards peter

Shawn Ali

No worries Shawn,the jacket was purchased last June,but hadn’t been worn because of the chemical smell.still a bit stinky but not as bad,,it’s been in the shed since purchasing so it hadn’t been worn.You were kind enough to offer a full refund at the time but I turned it down as you were honest and upfront.plus the cost of the jacket was low,when the buttons fall off I will probably get slightly smaller buttons sewn on properly.I just thought you should be aware of issues.Smell & buttons aside it’s ok,regards peter
Hi Dear @petermack09

I apologize for the inconvenience last year there were some problems which we improved, even we declared in the forum that we also changed our Tanner and Technicians to overcome this, which was successfully updated, and now we have not any problems of smell anymore except as I explained we shipped within 24 hours so any articles on which waxing process is involved may need 1 or 2 hour Air treatment after transit.

I am also thankful for highlighting any other issues as we are continuously updating ourselves.

Best Regards

Shawn

petermack09

Get some leather wipes on it and dose up with your favourite after shave or cologne!
Trust me this was a smell like no other,,every treatment known to man was tried,,only now started to fade,,ive no doubt Shawn knew there was an issue,,but he has been a gent throughout,and offered to take jacket back ,refund etc,,that wasn’t required,the jacket cost a hundred quid & I can now wear it ,,just not with the buttons fastened:) ,,so alls good.

JCLO

Looking forward to those A-1 pics with the smaller pockets ties70... :)

I really like the 1.2mm goatskin as well.. ;) Since the zipper was reversed on 5-Star's rendition of the Field & Stream 'Leather Windbreaker' made for me, and the inside G-1 pocket ended up on the right-hand side instead of left, I said "the hell with it", and ordered another with those corrections in the 1.2mm goat, and a few other improvements... The jacket is going through final quality checks now, and should be shipping soon.

Folks, I present my latest design based upon the vintage original, and name it the Falcon X-2: :cool:

View attachment 11217

View attachment 11219
View attachment 11218

The Falcon X-2 now sports a single-piece back and two-piece sleeves like an A-2, G-1 style inside pocket, G-1 style wind flap, 100% cotton lining in both body and sleeves, repro triple-marked Talon, hidden snaps on the front pockets, and underarm vents... A BIG thanks to Shawn, and 5-Star for patterning it based upon pics of the original, and building it for me with my additional designs / feature requests.... :);)

EDIT: Here are a couple pics of me wearing the 1st version (Falcon X-1). The production pics never seem to look as good compared to wearing the jackets in real-life. The new one above should basically look the same in the front: (Click to enlarge):

View attachment 11220 View attachment 11221
Really sharp!

CBI

looks interesting! the hide texture and grain still looks new so might I suggest, hot water soaking the hides, then drying them in a tumble dryer. THEN cutting a pattern from these hides. Would look awesome! The wet hides will shrink in the dryer so allow extra room.

Shawn Ali

looks interesting! the hide texture and grain still looks new so might I suggest, hot water soaking the hides, then drying them in a tumble dryer. THEN cutting a pattern from these hides. Would look awesome! The wet hides will shrink in the dryer so allow extra room.
Thanks for the great suggestions, that is totally possible :)

Shawn