• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVESTAR LEATHER A1 JACKET

Thomas Koehle

If it helps I'll pull out my Aero D-1 and photo that all around for y'all.

Honestly that would be - at least for me - a step to far ...

I really appreciate Shawn’s work - I meanwhile also ordered 2 jackets from him but from the perspective of AERO would be providing their research to get a decent copy of a D1 to someone else.

Once again: I really like Shawn‘s approach and I would also be interested in a D1 as soon as he starts producing them but simply providing pics of a jacket of one of the wellknown companies would not be fair ...

Forwarding pics of a original WW2 specimen would be more „gentleman“ like from my perspective.

Just my 2 cents ...

B-Man2

That’s a reasonable approach . Also a WWII D1 is the best place to start. Why incorporate possible mistakes by other manufacturers.

I really appreciate Shawn’s work - I meanwhile also ordered 2 jackets from him but from the perspective of AERO would be providing their research to get a decent copy of a D1 to someone else.

Once again: I really like Shawn‘s approach and I would also be interested in a D1 as soon as he starts producing them but simply providing pics of a jacket of one of the wellknown companies would not be fair ...

Forwarding pics of a original WW2 specimen would be more „gentleman“ like from my perspective.

Just my 2 cents ...

ties70

Thomas,

I am not sure if there is some kind of misunderstanding on my side.

The whole point of this D-1 idea was to find out if Fivestar can deliver a decent but still individual shearling jacket, based on the "simple" pattern of the D-1 model...nothing less but nothing more. At least for me it was never about copying one special maker.

People started contributing ideas, pointed Shawn towards freely accessible information, given on websites for example, or shared their personal experience.

Do you think that this is "unfair provision of knowledge and research of other makers" already?

Two possibilities ...

If yes, we could start at the beginning, telling Fivestar "Hey, we expect you to make us a D-1, equal to the big names. But we won't tell you how and we won't tell you where to get that information. Oh, and we want it before Christmas and for a fraction of the prices the other makers demand! "

If no, where is the difference between showing Shawn where to find the information on the internet or posting pictures of your own jacket.. Which is what Zoomer suggested.

Again, we are not talking about getting an Aero reproduction dissected, measured, photographed and what else to bring to the market a clone of Aero's product... Please correct me if I am wrong here, but that was never the intention, not from the members here and I am pretty sure also not from Shawn.

Shawn's company makes shearling jackets already and we asked him to make us a military looking one... Nothing more... At least for me!

So, ich hoffe Du hast noch schöne Tage am Strand. Hier wird es eklig!

Take care!

Ties

Last edited:

ties70

Burt,

As much as I like your idea or the thought of an exact WWII Contract copy made by Shawn for an absolute steal price... This is not gonna happen. I don't think it is their focus or business model at FS. Shawn sees a business opportunity by expanding their product portfolio and he might personally even be turning into one of us nerds.

But I do not see FS as a competitor to Aero, GW, ELC...and so on.
What we can expect is the best value for our money... Which is - in this case - fine with me.

B-Man2

Burt,

As much as I like your idea or the thought of an exact WWII Contract copy made by Shawn for an absolute steal price... This is not gonna happen. I don't think it is their focus or business model at FS. Shawn sees a business opportunity by expanding their product portfolio and he might personally even be turning into one of us nerds.

But I do not see FS as a competitor to Aero, GW, ELC...and so on.
What we can expect is the best value for our money... Which is - in this case - fine with me.

Ties
Fair enough and I agree with your point.
My thoughts were when you’re just starting out producing a repro , why incorporate the mistakes of others by using one of their jackets as a “go by “ copy when you can use an original and adjust it as you see fit to whatever standards you want to employ.
BTW For the record I’m a fan of Shawn’s efforts to produce quality reduced cost jackets.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Ties,

Yeah I see there is a misunderstanding ...

Off course if Shawn does not get support he will go wrong and no one finally will be satisfied.

None the „customers“ coz they will not get a decent jacket and also not Shawn coz he will not get rewarded for his efforts with enough orders.

I was referring to the fact to simply send details of another jacket repro-manufacturer who spent time and effort in research.

Yeah - i‘m also after a reasonable priced D1 and as you know I already placed orders for 2 jacke at 5* and will place more how could I then not accept he is getting support about any details. If I would be more in all the „nuts and bolts“ of a D1 I would share my knowledge off course.

Buying from him and on the other hand not giving him a chance would be asshole behavior - you should know me better ...

Hope I clarified the situation and made my point of view more clear.

Saludos

Thomas

zoomer

OK, I will refrain from sending pix of my Aero. Considering they are a going concern, it is not just another design, but their intellectual property.

Just my 2 cents ...

Shawn Ali

Again, we are not talking about getting an Aero reproduction dissected, measured, photographed and what else to bring to the market a clone of Aero's product... Please correct me if I am wrong here, but that was never the intention, not from the members here and I am pretty sure also not from Shawn.
Yes I confirm this we have no intentions to 100% copy someone's article, Instead I want to contribute my part in developments

Shawn Ali

Yeah - i‘m also after a reasonable priced D1 and as you know I already placed orders for 2 jacke at 5* and will place more how could I then not accept he is getting support about any details. If I would be more in all the „nuts and bolts“ of a D1 I would share my knowledge off course.
I respect your kind concerns in this regard,

ties70

Ties,

Yeah I see there is a misunderstanding ...

... [...] .. you should know me better ...

Hope I clarified the situation and made my point of view more clear.

Saludos

Thomas

Thomas,

On some days we are spending more time texting each other flight jacket details than we spend on talking to our wives.... If we were any closer the people would start talking behind our backs ;)

Sorry man, if I made you look like an a **, the real a** was on this side of the ocean.

Ties

Shawn Ali

Thomas,

On some days we are spending more time texting each other flight jacket details than we spend on talking to our wives.... If we were any closer the people would start talking behind our backs ;)

Sorry man, if I made you look like an a **, the real a** was on this side of the ocean.

Ties
Both of you are really great personalities I respect a lot as both of you are my mentors, No doubt you deserve this as you are totally ethical persons and much loyal with your passion

Shawn Ali

There might be some problem in pasting the proper link Please find my new D-1 Thread in reproduction manufactures.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

Shawn Ali

Available knitting options
e2f1c106e1bdbd0251a8ee64cfdd0b3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk