• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fivestar Ja Dubow 27798 A-2 jacket Update

leper-colony

It monsoon-ed this morning in Florida and my 5* got a little wet. I wore it till it dried.

Overall, I've really enjoyed wearing this jacket.

Dubow_after_rain.jpg

leper-colony

According to JC these were usually made with a tan color.

Even BK uses more of a mid-brown.

Lost Worlds says the originals faded to tan somewhere in his pages.

Grant

Sorry, disagree with JC on this. Based on well preserved examples from this contract I've seen, OD stitching is quite apparent in areas not exposed to UV daylight. The OD stitching does eventually fade to a khaki/tan color in areas with more exposure (as JC noted). I own a goatskin example from this contract that shows the OD stitching in areas not exposed to light (under epaulets, inside wind flap, under pocket flaps etc) that fade to khaki/tan in areas that see more light.Platon actually gets it right with the OD stitching he uses. Just my opinion based on observation!

2BM2K

I think it would be more correct to say that some Dubow 27798 were made with OD cotton thread and some were made with tan thread.

The tan colour is unique to Dubow. Dubow made baseball gloves and looking at photo's of vintage gloves the same tan colour thread can be seen. Possibly the same supplier.

I would not expect the label stitching to have faded;

Label.jpg

Grant

You may or may not be right! Before I had the chance to examine near unworn example in this contract I assumed they were made from khaki thread as well. It wasn't until I looked closely I noticed the OD stitching in areas that weren't exposed much and how the thread gradually faded to a khaki/tan color in areas that were. Again, just my observed opinion! BTW, I've noticed the same faded OD stitching in some 7823 series G-1's. Sorry to geek out about something so trivial!

D1.jpg
D2.jpg

leper-colony

I think both were used but have idea to what extent. How about seeing a jacket with both od and mid brown thread together, I have, a Rough Wear.