• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fivestar B-10 prototype.... Some teaser shots

Smithy

Shawn and team seem to be doing some excellent work at prices that are just unmatchable. His jackets seem to look better with wear like the recent A-1 postings. These aren't high-end maker jackets but after some wear, they seem to be looking pretty dark good and at 1/4 to 1/6 the price of the high-enders, sure changes the playing field.

One of the other fun things about 5 Star is that at the prices they are charging, the average punter can once again afford to buy a few jackets and play around with different ones like it was a decade and a half ago or so in the repro market. Of late, because a lot of crowds have shot their prices up astronomically a lot of people haven't been able to afford to do that.

Sure 5 Star aren't at the level of accuracy as the big boys but they've been coming along in leaps and bounds - anyone remember Shawn's first A-2 he posted here? And now look at things like his Doniger. He really seems to want to improve and make a better product for his punters, and he's open to advice and criticism and acts on it. That kind of behaviour from a maker, and one who is selling well made jackets for a pittance compared to the high end companies, deserves success and our support.

falcon_ib

Nice looking B-10!! Thanks for sharing Ties. Do you know if it is a copy of a specific maker or a house model?
@Carl seconded on the white shearling collar!
427callahan-S.jpg

Crew of Miss Lace, October 1944, from http://303rdbg.com/427callahan.html

ties70

Guys,

If we get more options in larger sizes, then I am all for it. If I understood it correctly, we are looking at a prototype here. Shawn has to get the correct alpaca / wool blend lining, currently they have finished the first jackets with something furry-like... Looked a lot like the stuff that ATF has used for their B-10. He is looking for the correct stuff...

Which brought me to the idea, if there might be a demand for a fleece-lined B-10?

The fleece-lined tankers from ATF seem to be getting good reviews....

Ties

adfrost

Which brought me to the idea, if there might be a demand for a fleece-lined B-10?

The fleece-lined tankers from ATF seem to be getting good reviews....

Ties

As long as it's properly advertised as fleece and not apalca, so people know what they are actually getting, I don't see a downside.

Clark J

I’d be up for fleece. I have an ATF tanker , I think it would make it more an everyday wearer . I’ve owned an Eastman B-10 but they just cost to much to just toss it on . My ATF B-10 I don’t worry about getting it dirty just wash it !!

CBI

Five Star might become a good "jacket training ground" for new jackets heads. Buy one or two jackets from them for about $200 each, wear them for a year or two, decide what one likes and doesn't like, if the jackets actually get worn or not and THEN decide to upgrade. The jackets will look much better after lots of wear (all jackets do IMO) Wouldn't it be great if it worked that way, ya sure........ But think of all of $ one could save. I'm sure if Five Star is successful, the prices will go up. Looks like they keep trying to improve their game with still low prices. I do have to say the offering of rather large sizes makes sense in our modern world. The prices do go up as sizes do but its an edge some other makers struggle with. I know thee are not GW or ELC but for those on a budget, a nice option. At first, the jackets didn't look so great but getting better now. Congrats!

Saint-ex

The prices do go up as sizes do but its an edge some other makers struggle with.

Yes but, I think Shawn’s way is more fair. ;)

Per example:
Bill Kelso: 34 = £770, 36 = £770, 38 = £770, 40 = £770, 42 = £770, 44 = £770, 46 = £770, 48 = £770, 50 = £870
Five Star : 34 = £165, 36 = £170, 38 = £175, 40 = £180, 42 = £190, 44 = £200, 46 = £210, 48 = £220, 50 = £225

The point is not to blame BK, it's an example, because, I ask them for a 50.
I understand the argument that a 50 uses twice as much leather as a 36. But why the 34 and the 48 are the same price, and the 50 has to pay a high price.

CBI

..........and I know Shawn is dealing with much cheaper labor costs than many others, I know, I get it.....................

busdrivermike

Yes but, I think Shawn’s way is more fair. ;)

Per example:
Bill Kelso: 34 = £770, 36 = £770, 38 = £770, 40 = £770, 42 = £770, 44 = £770, 46 = £770, 48 = £770, 50 = £870
Five Star : 34 = £165, 36 = £170, 38 = £175, 40 = £180, 42 = £190, 44 = £200, 46 = £210, 48 = £220, 50 = £225

The point is not to blame BK, it's an example, because, I ask them for a 50.
I understand the argument that a 50 uses twice as much leather as a 36. But why the 34 and the 48 are the same price, and the 50 has to pay a high price.
As a size 48 to 50 I can really appreciate five star prices, I’m mailing off a jacket to reproduced in my size this week :)

Saint-ex

My point was not about the price of the jackets, but the price graduation in relation to the size. ;)

Brettafett

Really like the look of that. Great start!
Matching olive drab knit and brown vintage mouton collar... Yes please!
I recon Five Star can do a grey/ brown fleece-lined B-10 as an option. A light fleece is quite practical.
ATF's fleece lined Tanker gets many great reviews for wearability. I'd have one, were it not for the nasty import costs.
I know it may not be properly authentic, but as has been said so many times, Fivestar are not competing with the high-ends for uber authenticity, and therefore have the freedom to do some custom work.
Any further updates, please let us know!