• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fivestar B-10 prototype.... Some teaser shots

mulceber

This is really just me speculating, but on the cloth jacket repros I've held in hand, it looked like the AAF roundel was screen-printed on. Shawn appears to have applied a decal like you might buy from MASH - and a decal where the color's a bit off too.

bellumbill

Captain obvious here - the overall jacket color is not right and the lining looks too black. Other than that looks good in terms of cut. I agree roundel isn't right but I would order without one so not a deal breaker for me.

Thank you and best to all
Bill K.

mulceber

Agreed - also, fake fur isn’t correct for the lining. I get that for a budget option, alpaca pile would be unreasonable to expect, but maybe a wool/synthetic blended pile, like I think Bronson does?

mulceber

Good to know! That really just leaves the color of the shell, but there was variation back in the day too.

Saint-ex

The picture seems to not describe the real color.
should be closer to the first pic shared by @ties70 :

Olive is available.

I received my Pike's B-10 today and it will be returned. :p

It seems to be in production
Looks nice! I'm wondering about its size chart though. It looks different compared to other Fivestar jackets' charts, such as the charts of the G1 or the A-2, and I'm wondering about the mutual proportions between some of the measurements? Almost as if the columns of the chart have been dislocated or misaligned...?

For example a G-1 in size XL/46 (https://www.fivestarleather.us/coll...pilot-flying-jacket-usn-real-goatskin-leather) has the following measurements in centimeters:
- chest: 123
- hem: 86
- sleeve: 67
- shoulder: 55
- length: 67.5

while the B-10 with a similar chest circumference (126 cm) to begin with, is labled as size XXS/44 (!) and has the following measurements in cm:
- chest: 126
- hem: 89
- sleeve: 52.5
- shoulder: 65.5
- length: 64.5

A piece of advice, double check that all requested materials and colours are available in your size before placing the order.

I ordered a B-10 jacket from Fivestar and got a message later on when the jacket was 90% ready, that they couldn't make the collar in my size with the mouton we had agreed to use (I wanted a dark reddish brown shade from the old mouton shade chart).

The solution was that I had to choose a colour from one of the four new shades available. So I chose black mouton as I perceived that it was the closest match to dark brown.

I'm now waiting eagerly for the jacket to arrive, I've seen pictures of it and I think that it looks great anyway, but I was a little bit surprised by all this.

ties70

Looks nice! I'm wondering about its size chart though. It looks different compared to other Fivestar jackets' charts, such as the charts of the G1 or the A-2, and I'm wondering about the mutual proportions between some of the measurements? Almost as if the columns of the chart have been dislocated or misaligned...?

For example a G-1 in size XL/46 (https://www.fivestarleather.us/coll...pilot-flying-jacket-usn-real-goatskin-leather) has the following measurements in centimeters:
- chest: 123
- hem: 86
- sleeve: 67
- shoulder: 55
- length: 67.5

while the B-10 with a similar chest circumference (126 cm) to begin with, is labled as size XXS/44 (!) and has the following measurements in cm:
- chest: 126
- hem: 89
- sleeve: 52.5
- shoulder: 65.5
- length: 64.5

I think the initial impulse of making the B-10 came after the guys at FS inspected and measured @Thomas Koehle 's "Dong" (Sorry, no pun intended...). That one was probably labelled as 44 or XXL, so FS might have adapted that to a strictly modern sizing table. It beats me, though, why they didn't stick to their A-2 sizing...

Personally, I do not really care what the label says, as long as the measurements work out.

Ties

Clark J

Purchased a new D-1 body fit was great made well but arms were way off ! He needs to make them 2Xs as wide ,, look at a pic of a gen in a WW2 and it’s easy to see how “blousey “ they are . I finally soaked the sleeves in hot waters and stuffed them with rag towels and they did stretch out and now it’s wearable . And also Shawn needs to use a #5 main zipper just as an A-2 would use .If he makes these easy adjustments I would say it’s the best value out there for a sheepskin jacket !!

Saint-ex

What he means is that @Shawn Ali is diversifying quite a bit, A-2, G-1, D-1, B-3, B-2 cap, B-3 helmet, M-445 , B-10 etc.

Which is great, but have to be careful not to go too quickly to the next project and go to the end of the development of each article.

Cocker

Purchased a new D-1 body fit was great made well but arms were way off ! He needs to make them 2Xs as wide ,, look at a pic of a gen in a WW2 and it’s easy to see how “blousey “ they are . I finally soaked the sleeves in hot waters and stuffed them with rag towels and they did stretch out and now it’s wearable . And also Shawn needs to use a #5 main zipper just as an A-2 would use .If he makes these easy adjustments I would say it’s the best value out there for a sheepskin jacket !!

I spoke to shawn about the arms issue on the D-1 and he told me his pattern was already modified according to these remarks.

Now, if someone would buy one to try it out... :p

Clark J

Well that’s great To hear and hope it’s fact for people down the line who will be purchasing a D-1. In guess someone has to be the first to jump in the pool . Unfortunately my pool water wasn’t that clean ! I hope Shawn also has started using a #5 main zip to make the jacket a better example !

Cocker

Well that’s great To hear and hope it’s fact for people down the line who will be purchasing a D-1. In guess someone has to be the first to jump in the pool . Unfortunately my pool water wasn’t that clean ! I hope Shawn also has started using a #5 main zip to make the jacket a better example !

Still have my hopes up that I'll get enough Chritsmas prime from work to order one ^^