• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVE STAR

leper-colony

I've been wearing this to and fro in the car as much as I can, its bloody hot and humid here so mornings and evenings are about the only sane time to throw on an extra layer. If the stars align Ill get it out on the motorcycle soon as well. The steer is VERY similar to the goat in my A1, it feels the same, drapes the same and except for a little more grain in areas it looks similar. The goatskin on my A1 is seal so its a little difficult to compare. Overall I am still very pleased with this jacket, the measurements and fit is spot on for my taste, I'm planning on patching and painting this jacket eventually to do a better replication of the Belle of Brawl jacket I did a while back, I'm looking forward to getting that done as well. The details and finish of the jacket are also great. Comparing them to my DD and my Goodwear at a glance I'd say it's 90% there and I have a feeling if FiveStar offered super premium hide and components the fidelity would be even closer. I think the value of these jackets when they're right is untouchable at the moment and I'm glad to see FiveStar growing their business and continuing to pursue new contracts and makes.

View attachment 64269

View attachment 64273
Thanks! It kinda looks like the mid brown goat used on the Dubow and slightly more russet in the second picture. Looks great on you!

WingAndaPrayer

I've been wearing this to and fro in the car as much as I can, its bloody hot and humid here so mornings and evenings are about the only sane time to throw on an extra layer. If the stars align Ill get it out on the motorcycle soon as well. The steer is VERY similar to the goat in my A1, it feels the same, drapes the same and except for a little more grain in areas it looks similar. The goatskin on my A1 is seal so its a little difficult to compare. Overall I am still very pleased with this jacket, the measurements and fit is spot on for my taste, I'm planning on patching and painting this jacket eventually to do a better replication of the Belle of Brawl jacket I did a while back, I'm looking forward to getting that done as well. The details and finish of the jacket are also great. Comparing them to my DD and my Goodwear at a glance I'd say it's 90% there and I have a feeling if FiveStar offered super premium hide and components the fidelity would be even closer. I think the value of these jackets when they're right is untouchable at the moment and I'm glad to see FiveStar growing their business and continuing to pursue new contracts and makes.

View attachment 64269

View attachment 64273
That’s a nice color. My russet steer jacket has an almost purple hue

Sabo

FiveStar Leather Repro "A-2 Rough Wear Clothing Co. Contract 27752" in Our Mid Brown HH Leather
FB_IMG_1628779898743.jpg

busdrivermike

ausreenactor

MrProper

That Cafe Racer is awesome. And you wear it VERY well!

Was the fit hard to nail? Or did Shawn walk you on to the best fit for you? I acknowledge you have purchased LOTS of FiveStar jackets.

Thanks a lot :)
No, not difficult. By now I know the measurements of my jackets pretty well and I give Shawn a lot of details and measurements on corresponding pictures.
And Shawn then implements that great.
But watch out: miss a detail and the result is left to chance.

adfrost

Comparing them to my DD and my Goodwear at a glance I'd say it's 90% there and I have a feeling if FiveStar offered super premium hide and components the fidelity would be even closer.

I feel like that’s really the only thing separating them from the top-tier makers at this point, but that last 10% is worth it to a lot of people. Shawn seems keen to continue to work on closing that gap though, as these jackets have improved noticeably over the past year or two. Sourcing better materials (the sheepskin especially) and getting originals to copy has made a big difference. The prices have increased commensurately, but I think people are more than willing to pay that when they can see exactly where the extra money is going as opposed to makers raising their prices simply “because we can” (looking at you, ELC).