• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVE STAR

Micawber

Yes, I know how this works, I've used this option on the first post... on the second not. I didn't think that anyone will explode about this...;)

Oh it's something us older fellas who wear really thick spectacles and have to manage on 50 year old copper cables for their internet connection have picked up on lately.

Those tiny little thumbnails can take an age to load into full size images and us old but knowledgeable chaps can loose interest waiting.

So you see it's to your benefit and a kindness to seniors to post your photos full size.

See, no explosion, just rational reasoning :)

ties70

Respectfully, there is a disconnect between your conclusion and your reasoning.

Your reasoning:
Your reasoning appears to suggest that because one pays less that they are entitled to or at least should expect a lower quality product in comparison to higher-end jackets with higher price tags.
To this extent, you are correct. Shawn and 5 Star are put in the difficult position where, for the prices they are offering their jackets at, their jackets are expected not only to match their value for money but exceed it.
In so far as this goes, we are in agreement.

Your conclusion:
Your conclusion from this line of reasoning is, however, plainly incorrect.
You use the fact that buyers expect too much from 5 star to somehow suggest that it is acceptable that 5 Star churns out a low quality horse hide jacket solely because of its price point; that for 300 USD it 'probably can't be done'. That is simply BS.

Nobody who pays 300 USD for any jacket, horsehide or otherwise, should expect that their jacket be a low quality jacket. Let me make this clearer.
Yes, one should expect a 5 Star Jacket to be not as high quality as other high-end HH jacket makers at far higher prices (in terms of historical accuracy, pattern, craftsmanship, materials etc.). This is obvious and a given.
However, it is plainly BS to suggest that people should expect 5 Star jackets to be low quality jackets simply because of its limiting, difficult, or improbable price point.
This is clearly illustrated by 5 Star's reputation on the VLJ; namely, good quality jackets for low prices; and NOT shit jackets for low prices.

These quality assurance issues are plainly unacceptable. It is obvious that, at 5 Star's price point, the buyer should not expect the highest quality jackets from 5 Star (in terms of accuracy, or craftsmanship, or materials etc.); but it most certainly does NOT justify low quality jackets at all, horsehide or otherwise!

Did I offend you personally, to get my posts described as BULLSHIT and my personal opinion thereby devalued?! Just asking because I can't think of anything...

Sorry, but with this attitude you can spare me your introductory "Respectfully"...

If I was writing in my native language German I would probably be able to bring my points over to you more clearly. As I am pretty sure that you do not speak German, well, we have to deal with me on a foreign turf...

Glad that we could agree on the first part (High expectations ). However, I cannot see why I "somehow suggest" that it is "acceptable for FS to churn out" low quality jackets. On the contrary, I think that from Shawn's perspective he does everything to assure a top quality product (see his quality tests above) for the price.

Did I say that FS jackets are / were "shitty"? No.. Sorry, these are your words not mine.

Not quite sure what and why we are disputing here, to be honest. If you think a 300 dollar HH jacket is possible, fine, I beg to differ... Without calling your opinion BS.

Ties

flyincowboy

Well let see the pics of the" weathered" jacket after a few months..... NOT BIG DEAL but was surprised it happened so fast! Again i dont want to blame shawn and the 5 star team they did a really nice job on making such jackets at reasonnable and affordable price.

IMG_20210521_122926.jpg
IMG_20210521_122833.jpg
n i will buy some other jackets from 5 stars in the future.

AlexLutov

Oh it's something us older fellas who wear really thick spectacles and have to manage on 50 year old copper cables for their internet connection have picked up on lately.

Those tiny little thumbnails can take an age to load into full size images and us old but knowledgeable chaps can loose interest waiting.

So you see it's to your benefit and a kindness to seniors to post your photos full size.

See, no explosion, just rational reasoning :)
It is necessary to write this close-up somewhere...something like that..stop thinking about miniatures, everyone who enters here....

flyincowboy

Ties
Yes thought it was just normal wear! but was surprised that it happended so fast??? While repairing seats and benches at the shop, been used to work with chrome tanned leather hides .... which are stiff and strong and fairly different.... Maybe it's just time to change my mind about such leather.

Last edited:

bach37strad

@BadMofo i received that video as well but it only raised more questions. The super worn looking jacket is apparently the goatskin dubow, while the one on the right he was "milling" is the horsehide.

So if the HH in the video can hold up to their rubbing and tape testing, why are ours peeling after a week?

MaydayWei

Did I offend you personally, to get my posts described as BULLSHIT and my personal opinion thereby devalued?! Just asking because I can't think of anything...

Sorry, but with this attitude you can spare me your introductory "Respectfully"...

If I was writing in my native language German I would probably be able to bring my points over to you more clearly. As I am pretty sure that you do not speak German, well, we have to deal with me on a foreign turf...

Glad that we could agree on the first part (High expectations ). However, I cannot see why I "somehow suggest" that it is "acceptable for FS to churn out" low quality jackets. On the contrary, I think that from Shawn's perspective he does everything to assure a top quality product (see his quality tests above) for the price.

Did I say that FS jackets are / were "shitty"? No.. Sorry, these are your words not mine.

Not quite sure what and why we are disputing here, to be honest. If you think a 300 dollar HH jacket is possible, fine, I beg to differ... Without calling your opinion BS.

Ties

No, Mr. Ties. I am calling you out for what your post implies (post #248).
I take no offence from your opinion, nor am I targeting you because you of your native language (german).
To say that we are simply having a disagreement on the possibility of a 300 USD HH jacket or because of your lack of expertise with English is to subvert the main point.

Post #248 skirts around what you really want to say and instead hems and haws around the true crux of the issue.
Namely, that you imply a causative link between buyer demands, instant gratification, overly-high standards, Shawn's over-willingness and the resultant 300 USD low quality HH jackets. If what you implied is true, it follows that this mishap is really the fault of the circumstances and the buyers' who created it (despite your claim of not blaming anyone).
This is, of course, conjecture; which you can easily deny. After all, who can prove what you really were thinking.

I had prompted you to be upfront about it, to come out and expressly state your position.
Instead, you try to clarify yourself with a far more restrained explanation focusing instead on cost-value-expectations analysis and the belief that for 300 USD a HH jacket cannot be done. And again, re-emphasizing that you are not blaming anyone (post #254).

This is not a matter of disagreeing opinions; do not attempt to mask it as such.

ties70

To be honest @MaydayWei?

I give a flying f**k what you think it is that I probably might imply, think, say, hold back, mean....

I guess I will just stop feeding you, here and now!

Ties

Last edited:

Micawber

@MaydayWei @ties70

As I'm still fortunate enough to be walking and talking can I just stick my oar in to point out that life can be too short to fall out over minor stuff on a minor online forum such as this. PAX my friends! :)

Now if you really want to slog it out as a matter of honour may I suggest pistols at dawn at a place convenient to both. Place, date and seconds to be agreed by mutual consent ;)

Last edited:

MaydayWei

@MaydayWei @ties70

As I'm still fortunate enough to be walking and talking can I just stick my oar in to point out that life can be too short to fall out over minor stuff on a minor online forum such as this. PAX my friends! :)

Now if you really want to slog it out as a matter of honour may I suggest pistols at dawn at a place convenient to both. Place, date and seconds to be agreed by mutual consent ;)

A good reminder indeed Steve!
But believe me when I say that I’m not losing any sleep over this ;)
My day is just fine and rosy :p

busdrivermike

Sleeves /under arm/ back panels reinforcement panels..Normal wear just sitting in the driver seat....View attachment 61038View attachment 61039View attachment 61040View attachment 61041View attachment 61041
That’s an interesting amount of wear on your jacket it made me want to show some comparison pics with my noble house B3 thingy
I am not in this post knocking 5 star or Shawn or trying to promote noble house as better just comparing the wear from wearing :)
I’ve had my jacket now for one half winter and two full winters and have worn it daily for upwards of a three months at a time
( the joy of living in northern Alberta)
These pics show the weathering / wear its sustained from the snow and cold in and out of the car , walking through
Stores shopping and shoveling snow
First pic is the most wear I’ve noticed on the right sleeve elbow area
The rest show the underarms and back and how they’ve held up from regular use
The spot on the left horsehide panel has been there since day one
I apologize for high jacking the post
09E6BDDE-3D83-4CE9-836C-7CDE54C46491.jpeg
9F99E1B1-2A16-4DE5-A748-3FE206505A95.jpeg
FE87B5B0-8E3E-46EF-940B-84664FBA1CEC.jpeg
71257BD0-89CC-46B4-B5DB-C75918CA1C13.jpeg
FCAD56D3-3807-49A6-9146-B0BEC2AFB605.jpeg

2EE0C08C-7B2C-4C5E-9701-1D7195D5FA8A.jpeg
32C97E33-5942-451B-885E-2546012DF0C7.jpeg
E8BFA946-F5AC-4DDC-9F3F-FC9723DEECBF.jpeg

Last edited:

flyincowboy

That’s an interesting amount of wear on your jacket it made me want to show some comparison pics with my noble house B3 thingy
I am not in this post knocking 5 star or Shawn or trying to promote noble house as better just comparing the wear from wearing :)
I’ve had my jacket now for one half winter and two full winters and have worn it daily for upwards of a three months at a time
( the joy of living in northern Alberta)
These pics show the weathering / wear its sustained from the snow and cold in and out of the car , walking through
Stores shopping and shoveling snow
First pic is the most wear I’ve noticed on the right sleeve elbow area
The rest show the underarms and back and how they’ve held up from regular use
The spot on the left horsehide panel has been there since day one
I apologize for high jacking the post
View attachment 61382View attachment 61383View attachment 61384View attachment 61385View attachment 61386
View attachment 61387View attachment 61388View attachment 61389
It is interressing to see how different hides are aging and start developping such a nice patina .... Just guess that it will be good to help for choice, which leather look the best.