• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVE STAR

foster

It looks like DuBow style epaulettes on that Werber. Does anyone else see the same in the images?

mulceber

It looks like DuBow style epaulettes on that Werber. Does anyone else see the same in the images?

Well, looking at pics of top-tier repros of the Werber 1939 (the contract this Five Star jacket is reproducing), it just looks to me like the Werber had oblong x-box stitching that bear some resemblance to the Dubows. It may not be spot-on accurate, but Shawn made this design before he ever got his hands on an original A-2, so I don't think stitch-counting accuracy can be expected.

Last edited:

WingAndaPrayer

My new A-2 Werber Russet Horsehide from Five Star is here.:cool:View attachment 60313View attachment 60314View attachment 60315View attachment 60318View attachment 60319View attachment 60320
:)
Does the leather squeak or creak when you wear it?

B-Man2

I need another jacket like I need another ex wife with alimony payments, but I’m caught up in the hype and seriously considering one :oops: . Here I go … not paying attention to my own rules .

#14. I’ve promised myself that I would never buy another jacket, but that was 8 years and 11 jackets ago.:rolleyes:

mulceber

How many of us around here are down for the Poughkeepsie?

Me
Jan
Burt (maybe)
Couchy (maybe)
DJS48

Anyone else in the running?

Who's in for the Star?

That’s something I’ve found interesting: if you look through JC’s sales page and his page of jackets created, there are very few Poughkeepsies. But people are coming out of the woodwork for Shawn’s, even though it hasn’t been created yet. Seems like, while nobody really wants to spend $1500 and wait a year (or more) for a Poughkeepsie, there are plenty who are interested to try it when the wait is a few weeks and the cost is under $500. Just something I’ve been thinking about.

Smithy

I've never worn one Jan but maybe the interest is due to the fact it's got the iconic A-2 look without anything overly whacky going on with the collar or pocket flap, and just as importantly, it's apparently one of the most comfortable and easy to wear. I was talking to JC years ago when I nearly pulled the trigger and I remember he told me it was in the running for easiest to wear and most comfortable. The fact that it also has the coolest name out of any A-2 doesn't hurt either ;-)

mulceber

All those are good selling points, but they only make me wonder why JC hasn’t sold more of them. Seems like in the A-2 collecting community, there are some really desirable contracts - Rough Wears, Dubows, Monarch, Star, Werbers and Aeros, and then there are some that aren’t much sought after: Poughkeepsie, Cooper, Fried-Ostermann, the like.

Nothing wrong with that, there just doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some of the more popular ones were very wearable (Dubow, Aero), and some of the least popular ones were as well (Poughkeepsie). Likewise, some of the more popular ones are rare contracts (Monarch, Werber 1729), but some of them are also EXTREMELY common (RW).

Smithy

All those are good selling points, but they only make me wonder why JC hasn’t sold more of them. Seems like in the A-2 collecting community, there are some really desirable contracts - Rough Wears, Dubows, Monarch, Star, Werbers and Aeros, and then there are some that aren’t much sought after: Poughkeepsie, Cooper, Fried-Ostermann, the like.

Nothing wrong with that, there just doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some of the more popular ones were very wearable, and some of the least popular ones were as well. Likewise, some of the more popular ones are rare contracts, but some of them are also EXTREMELY common.

I think it's most likely due to the fact the Poughkeepsie is a "lesser" known contract than the big hitters like RW, Dubow, Aero, etc, etc. A lot of people probably only ever buy one GW and if they're going to and spend that much they probably are more likely to put their money on a better known example where a lot more photos and commentary about them exist.

Smithy

Superb!

And great for Shawn that there's all this support for the new model. The poor old Star seems to have been kicked out of the limelight.