• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FIVE STAR

bach37strad

IMG-20210508-WA0028.jpg
IMG-20210508-WA0029.jpg
IMG-20210508-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20210508-WA0031.jpg
IMG-20210508-WA0032.jpg

ausreenactor

Hey yall, wanted to share an update on my custom FIVE STAR jacket. Shawn just sent me some pictures of the final product before it ships. It's Shawn's G8 pattern, with the handwarmer pockets in mid brown Horsehide. Super happy with his work and very excited to see how it fits!
Cant see. Pics are too small! ;)

bach37strad

Yes, sorry that is the mid brown horsehide. I was initially planning on the semi veg tan steerhide in seal brown, but I'm super glad Shawn recommended the horsehide instead, the grain looks amazing.

This'll be my first horsehide jacket, but i do have an A2 in steer. I'm curious to see if it's much stiffer/thicker. It certainly doesn't look like it from the photos!

mulceber

This'll be my first horsehide jacket, but i do have an A2 in steer. I'm curious to see if it's much stiffer/thicker. It certainly doesn't look like it from the photos!

I’ll look forward to your review. I will say though, that whether it’s thicker/thinner, stiffer/more pliable, etc. won’t be about whether it’s horsehide or steerhide. The two leathers are frequently tough to distinguish, to the point where, in his book, Gary Eastman had to have DNA tests done to confirm that some originals were steerhide.

Yockers

I've been e mailing Shawn over the past couple of days regarding a question I had on a jacket, he said that there is a national Eid holiday over there at the moment so the factory will be closed until the 16th of this month although Shawn is still answering e-mails.

mulceber

I believe it's worth noting that this isn't the VLJ suggested method for measuring sleeves.

One of the more learned members can correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the dimension be taken on the outer curve?

You’re correct. I think this has been pointed out to Shawn before, but apparently Five Star has its own way of measuring sleeves, so if you’re ordering from them, take measurements from a jacket using his method.:rolleyes: