• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Waldo Pepper

busdrivermike

So I was so impressed with my custom 5* Waldo Pepper jacket that I ordered another one in their Distressed Buffalo Hide with real horn buttons and red satin lining. This time I ordered their stock model in a stock size 38. Here are my observations.

The pockets on the Stock model are about 20% bigger than on my custom Goat hide model based off the Bill Kelso photos.

The back pannels and sleeve seams on the stock model are in line with eachother where as on my custom they are rotated about 1.5 inches.

My stock model has 26" sleeves and hem but my custom has 25" sleeves and hem. The sleeves feel better at 26" than on my custom jacket at 25". But 26" hem feels too long but still functional.

The buffalo hide is absolutely amazing. I mean this jacket is staggeringly beautiful in person, especially with the satin lining. The quality of the buffalo hide feels right up there with a $1000 jacket but 1/3 the price and so they won my loyalty. Im blown away by it and would strongly recommend the Buffalo to anyone interested in a 5* jacket. It seems like one of the nicest leathers they have and just stellar

I like each of the jackets for different reasons and they will both see much use. I think the perfect fitting jacket would be a mixture of the two jackets measurements, but they are close enough that I am very satisfied. This company certainly won my loyalty with quality, customer service, price range.
That’s a stunning looking jacket, I love the larger pockets, the leather looks very nice.
and whom ever is doing your photos is fantastic at it.

Smithy

That really looks amazing!

5 Star and Shawn have really been a godsend for this "hobby". Right at a time when most were bumping their prices up to astronomic levels, along comes these guys, trying to improve and make better jackets and - most importantly - the jackets that we the punters want. Shawn's bending over backwards to try and improve, work off feedback from the guys here and ultimately make us happy, is a real breath of fresh air. I've never seen a company so quick to take feedback and criticism and act on it to improve. Add to that the customer service they offer and you really can't ask for a lot more.

The way they have improved from 2018 when Shawn first showed up here to now is just astounding. At this rate just imagine what they're going to be making in two years time!

Garylafortuna

Hi Xopher...... Would you tell us a little more about the distressed Buffalo hide on your second jacket; like the weight and thickness, and the nature of the hide ( soft, pliable, stiff, supple, etc. ) Thank you............. Gary

mulceber

Actually, could we get some more photos of the buffalo hide? The previous photos look to have been shot in partial shade, so it’s hard to see it well.

Garylafortuna

This may help a little.

Cow + Buffalo copy.jpg

Shawn Ali

So I was so impressed with my custom 5* Waldo Pepper jacket that I ordered another one in their Distressed Buffalo Hide with real horn buttons and red satin lining. This time I ordered their stock model in a stock size 38. Here are my observations.

The pockets on the Stock model are about 20% bigger than on my custom Goat hide model based off the Bill Kelso photos.

The back pannels and sleeve seams on the stock model are in line with eachother where as on my custom they are rotated about 1.5 inches.

My stock model has 26" sleeves and hem but my custom has 25" sleeves and hem. The sleeves feel better at 26" than on my custom jacket at 25". But 26" hem feels too long but still functional.

The buffalo hide is absolutely amazing. I mean this jacket is staggeringly beautiful in person, especially with the satin lining. The quality of the buffalo hide feels right up there with a $1000 jacket but 1/3 the price and so they won my loyalty. Im blown away by it and would strongly recommend the Buffalo to anyone interested in a 5* jacket. It seems like one of the nicest leathers they have and just stellar

I like each of the jackets for different reasons and they will both see much use. I think the perfect fitting jacket would be a mixture of the two jackets measurements, but they are close enough that I am very satisfied. This company certainly won my loyalty with quality, customer service, price range.
Dear @Xopher

You looks really nice, and thks for providing this great opportunity to make this jacket for you. Really pleased to work with you :)

Always loved the new Idea's

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

Hi Xopher...... Would you tell us a little more about the distressed Buffalo hide on your second jacket; like the weight and thickness, and the nature of the hide ( soft, pliable, stiff, supple, etc. ) Thank you............. Gary
Actually, could we get some more photos of the buffalo hide? The previous photos look to have been shot in partial shade, so it’s hard to see it well.
Please find some more detailed images, the type of leather, its thickness, Grain etc in below images

96159617_848273212321686_3627157575767687168_n.jpg

96791604_262959664827956_1002249224319926272_n.jpg

95940495_640972683300015_8362551636006010880_n.jpg

96267192_283611545993817_1409321590365093888_n.jpg

95582013_260633231976604_8887193783976853504_n.jpg

96247084_230884285021055_14882568486780928_n.jpg

95983840_254052335974712_5224367312269737984_n.jpg

97025124_169780854393542_8726588408270422016_n.jpg

Its very soft and supple Leather with a Thickness of 1.2-1.3 mm, Two tone distressed look. If you have any further questions please feel free to write me.

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Ali

5 Star and Shawn have really been a godsend for this "hobby". Right at a time when most were bumping their prices up to astronomic levels, along comes these guys, trying to improve and make better jackets and - most importantly - the jackets that we the punters want. Shawn's bending over backwards to try and improve, work off feedback from the guys here and ultimately make us happy, is a real breath of fresh air. I've never seen a company so quick to take feedback and criticism and act on it to improve. Add to that the customer service they offer and you really can't ask for a lot more.

The way they have improved from 2018 when Shawn first showed up here to now is just astounding. At this rate just imagine what they're going to be making in two years time!
Its just became possible because of the great friends help on this forum.

Much Obliged

Shawn

MikeyB-17

Careful Tim. Somebody will call you a shill in a minute. :)
I agree though. I know there are those that seem to think if you’re not paying somewhere in the neighbourhood of a grand then it’s not worthy of consideration, but the fact of the matter is that a lot of us don’t have that sort of money, and/or can’t justify spending that much on a jacket. If a well-made, at least reasonably accurate jacket can be bought at a realistic price, I’m all for it. I can see myself nabbing a G-1 of some description at some point. I just hope the prices don’t creep up too much.

Showerfan

That Waldo Pepper looks so nice I’m going to order an A-2 in buffalo from him now. Questions for @Xopher — do you prefer the sleeves rotated or stock? And which pockets do you like better?

P.S. amazing to get decent customer service from a jacket maker. I messaged Shawn and he messaged me back. With SB, BK and Aero, the replies have been either slow and senseless or not at all...

Last edited:

Xopher

That Waldo Pepper looks so nice I’m going to order an A-2 in buffalo from him now. Questions for @Xopher — do you prefer the sleeves rotated or stock? And which pockets do you like better?

P.S. amazing to get decent customer service from a jacket maker. I messaged Shawn and he messaged me back. With SB, BK and Aero, the replies have been either slow and senseless or not at all...

I like the look and feel of the smaller pockets but the larger pockets are WAY more useful.

I find myself wearing the rotated sleeves more.

zoomer

The idea that “prestige=high price” and the idea that “vintage look=tight waist” are both basically Japanese culture hold-overs. Those people will pay $125 for a melon in a wooden gift box because everyone there knows it cost that much.