• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star - sizing & leather

Perhaps I can be of some assistance. I’ve owned about 12 FiveStar jackets in every hide they offer. If you want bullet proof, 3 feet thick horse hide get the mid brown or any of the visky line. The steer hide is slightly less thick but butter soft compared to the cardboard stiffness of the HH. The problem I had with the steer is that the seal is black and the russet was waxy. The goat is excellent and on par with some of the top marker stuff. But the quality is hit or miss. I like FiveStar but it seems there’s always just something not quite right. For example the fit will be spot on but the hide is poor and the top coat peels off, or the hide is excellent but the fit is way off. If you get lucky you will hit the best fit/quality combo but will most likely take you 2-3 jackets, if at all.
Have you heard of SM Wholesale? Steve will make you a custom jacket that’s much better quality then FiveStar. And he’s based out of California. I’ve had 3 from SMW and they are my absolute favorite mid tier jacket. However it’s not based on any specific contract, just a generic pattern.
For what my 2 cents are worth I personally would ask for leather samples from SMW and FiveStar and make your decision between SMW and a FiveStar A2. Shawn does however make a killer B-10/15.
I can provide you with a ton of FiveStar and SMW jacket pictures if you are interested.
And being in Texas, you won’t have to worry about needing a jacket until January
I am curious about the Horsehide. You mention that it is stiff. More stiff than any other horsehide leather? How does it age? Typically it would soften and mold to the body. I guess I am just curious about their horsehide compared to other manufacturers.

usafchappyt

I am curious about the Horsehide. You mention that it is stiff. More stiff than any other horsehide leather? How does it age? Typically it would soften and mold to the body. I guess I am just curious about their horsehide compared to other manufacturers.
Just posted an update of mine. Not sure about other makers, as this is my only A2. It was stiff at first, like armor. I sprayed the inside to wet the leather and tumbled it in a cool dryer with tennis balls for several hours (attempt at own risk lol!), which brought out some good grain and really softened it. The collar is still a bit stiff, but the leather sleeves and body have matured to a good soft texture and drape.

Initial review
20 month udpate