• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Irvin Review

Enigma1938

Hi folks,
As promised a little Review about the 5* Irvin I purchased in the fall of 2022.
As some may know Shawn developed this jacket with the constructive help of some forum members here (there's a thread somewhere). One sent in his original for copying the pattern and details, another one sent in his original lightning zippers for copying them and so on.
One day I just thought I need a Irvin jacket because my B3 (even it's warm) is pretty bulky and stiff so not always as comfortable to wear as I wish.
I don't wanted to spend a huge amount of money on the Irvin so there were 2 Options for me. The WPG Irvin (nice color, easy to wear but lacking in details) or the 5* Version.
Because 5* has the better Details I opted for their Version.
As usual with 5* there are many options in leather colors and types or thread colors etc...
When I placed my order Shawn told me they have a new improved Fleece color for irvins but after a look on it I refused because even the wool was nice in color, the Skin itself was way to dark, more like a black so I choose their old style sheepskin.
The reinforcements and collar back are usually made at 5* from midbrown goat, but I changed this to midbrown horsehide within my order.
Overall I am very pleased with this jacket, it's fit is good and it wears very comfortable.
The material they used is nice in quality and it is carefully put together.
There were just a few contras with the jacket but most of them are sorted out by myself:

- there was only one leather pull on the main zipper and this was of a wrong type so I did them by myself on all 3 zippers copying original ones in size and attachment method.

- I changed the zipper stops to the correct c shaped lighting ones.

- the belt buckle was bright shiny so I matted it down like it should be

- the collar strap was totally useless flimsy BS so I built one by myself and corrected the attachment rings on the collar itself also by sewing them on instead of the rivets 5* used.

There was nothing more to do.
I like this jacket pretty much. Sure there are better ones out there but for the price I paid I couldn't be happier with this outcome.
20230424_175014.jpg
20230424_175145.jpg
20230424_175028.jpg
20230424_175041.jpg
20230424_175048.jpg
20230424_175056.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Wow! Great review and from what I can see the jacket is well worth the price and the effort made to upgrade it component’s. Did you ever recommend the changes you made to Shawn ? It sounds like most of them are fairly simple fixes . That’s a great looking Irvin… Thanks for posting the review!
Cheers

Enigma1938

Wow! Great review and from what I can see the jacket is well worth the price and the effort made to upgrade it component’s. Did you ever recommend the changes you made to Shawn ? It sounds like most of them are fairly simple fixes . That’s a great looking Irvin… Thanks for posting the review!
Cheers
Thanks for your kind words Burt.
No not really but I think you may be right with giving the changes over to Shawn so hopefully future buyers can benefit from that.

busdrivermike

Thanks for posting, your additions to it are very nice
For me the only thing I’m not crazy about is
The outer finish , I would prefer a finish like the underside of the
Collar, the mat veg tan look, my personal preference.
But otherwise it looks to be a very nicely made quality jacket

Enigma1938

A older fit pic is here:

The current price of the jacket is 462,31€ or 510,98 $.

Yes the jacket is very supple, in no way stiff or uncomfortable, at the shortest point the fleece is 8mm thick and at the longest 12mm without pulling on the hair.

Chris 55

Haven't been here for a while and just noticed the post.
The Irvin was copied from 2 jacket's I sent Shawn a late 40s 4 panel and the early 40s two panel wired Irvin for reference.
The collar strap hook's where riveted on the 4 panel jacket not stitched on so I can see why it was done this way.
The tri buckle slider I've seen 3 versions of this so the one Shawn did is reasonable although the elastic is weak.
I've been working on improving the clip and upgrading the elastic.
The buckle that Shawn used at first was to big.
This has now been corrected as I had a batch of 20 made in the UK.
The right size and shape and sent these to Shawn.
I also had a dull nickel finish made as well which I have stock of.

The sheepskin has taken a while to get right and is on its 3rd batch and awaiting sample before seeing the next jacket from Shawn.

I waiting on a bucket and slider to see if it's worth going the extra mile to have choice of zips in the future.

Smithy

Only just came across this now with this latest post.

Tbh I don't like the outer shell it just doesn't look right.

Each to their own but sheepskin jackets are the most difficult to get right - you have to get the fleece and its length right and also the outer shell. It also has to have the right flexibility to the hide. And that's apart from hardware.

Nice try but that doesn't want to make me trade my ELC in for one just yet.

Smithy

Yup the fit looks fine but the outer shell not so much so, both in colour and how it's creasing, how it behaves, which suggests it's a different feel from original Irvins.