• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star IP theft?

Ed Rooney

Frankly, I just don't get it.
I have painted (and designed new designs for) lots of patches over the years, but there's NO real money to made in anything like this. There are a bunch of guys out there making patches. You go onto some forums and they'll choke some portions of those forums with all the patches they've painted that week.
But as I can make my own anytime I feel like, though I know most don't have that capability, I don't pay much attention. Again, there's no real money of fame to be made other than 'internet fame' which most of you would agree is fleeting and essentially worthless.
Just as CombatWombat wrote, I'm not a big fan of patching a jacket anyway. I have an A2 done up for the 91st BG as I'm a life member of that BG association, and I did one up for my active-duty service. Otherwise, I'd painted patches for people who asked for them as again, there's no real money to be made.
Let this knucklehead live in his thick blanket of self-importance. Being a legend in your own mind only gains you laughs behind your back anyway.
My old Cav Squadron and my Brother's old platoon and company commands had pretty cool patches. Those are about the only ones that I am interested in reproducing. For those, I have 2 artistic kids willing to paint on leather.

MauldinFan

My old Cav Squadron and my Brother's old platoon and company commands had pretty cool patches. Those are about the only ones that I am interested in reproducing. For those, I have 2 artistic kids willing to paint on leather.
Yeah, I painted my branch crest on leather and sewed it to a Saddelry A-2, with my Divisional shoulder patch on the sleeve.
The rest of the patches I've painted on leather were for others who asked for them.

Smithy

I remember that Sean guy when he was on here. Good knowledge and talented but he'd fly off the handle at the drop of a hat.

Wouldn't be my choice to buy something from a loose unit, and especially because if I was buying patches I could buy them from Ties or Miroslav, so great looking patches without the drama queen bullshit.

JonnyCrow

I remember that Sean guy when he was on here. Good knowledge and talented but he'd fly off the handle at the drop of a hat.

Wouldn't be my choice to buy something from a loose unit, and especially because if I was buying patches I could buy them from Ties or Miroslav, so great looking patches without the drama queen bullshit.
I've not met the guy ever, but then the only patches of mine I've sold have been attached to the jackets I sold, if he confronted me over the designs I'd just tell him to kiss my arse pffff

Micawber

holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

I've painted patches, I've painted jackets, I've carried out commissions of both and various art and restoration works, I'm a life member of this or that, I used to able to juggle too <shrugs>

JonnyCrow

View attachment 95469

I've painted patches, I've painted jackets, I've carried out commissions of both and various art and restoration works, I'm a life member of this or that, I used to able to juggle too <shrugs>
Same Steve, for my group in the UK I once made a Luftwaffe sc30 and SC50 bomb, complete with fuses haha and a couple more for a UXB living history group, miss having a garden, city life apartment eh, plan though is when we retire, buying a house and land so I can have a workshop again