• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star IP theft?

ties70

Sean's work is among the best (I would buy his non-printed stuff, but I doubt he would sell me anything...) but the guy has a difficult personality...

He got banned here, and kicked off a couple of us other patch makers from his FB groups in return.... That is his right and fair enough. He seems to have some issues to let go, though.... He kept trash-talking me on Shawn's FS FB group, not knowing that Shawn and I get along pretty good and have worked together on several of FS jackets, so Shawn decided to kick him out there as well. The talk about IP violation is relatively new, and started with a Lafayette escadrille patch.... Shawn's guys reproduced it as a multi-leather patch... Which is Sean's specialty, but I doubt that he has the copyright on any of the WWII designs he offers.

Ties

FreddyF9

Sean's work is among the best (I would buy his non-printed stuff, but I doubt he would sell me anything...) but the guy has a difficult personality...

He got banned here, and kicked off a couple of us other patch makers from his FB groups in return.... That is his right and fair enough. He seems to have some issues to let go, though.... He kept trash-talking me on Shawn's FS FB group, not knowing that Shawn and I get along pretty good and have worked together on several of FS jackets, so Shawn decided to kick him out there as well. The talk about IP violation is relatively new, and started with a Lafayette escadrille patch.... Shawn's guys reproduced it as a multi-leather patch... Which is Sean's specialty, but I doubt that he has the copyright on any of the WWII designs he offers.

Ties
I do not know this Sean fellow but, if he got even a patient guy like FiveStar’s Shawn to kick him out, he must be quite hot blooded!

Silver Surfer

Dunno about any possible infringement, but I do know Sean.in fact I introduced him to the vlj, back in the day. Like many one man bands, he is barely making a living designing, and copying patches, so any threat to his income, would engender some push back.he does not suffer fools, and never did, thus some “issues” with some folks.

CBI

Sean does a great job. He does slightly alter his patches in a way that he can tell they are his version. An extra curve here or corner there. If someone does a Google image search to make their own patch and copies one of his, he can tell. That said, he has probably not received official permission/copyright on any of these designs so its a sort of non issue.

Cocker

Sean is a piece of art... He's been threatening and spewing shit on people that are doing leather patches everywhere around the internet with the only aim of trying to cut these guy's share and have more order. There was a point in time when every time Miroslav Sekulic would paint a patch, Sean would have the exact same one available 1 or 2 days after that and boast how superior and made in an historically correct way it was compared to any other. He did that for multiple times.

What I find utterly laughable is that Sean was having a fit a couple years ago on FB because the daughter of an AVG pilot, who's now in charge of the association, was threatening to sue him because of copyright infringement. He was boasting that his patch was different than the original one and that, anyway, the design was public property, yadda yadda... And now he's doing exactly the same!

I appreciate people being passionate about what they are doing, especially in the art domain. But if you have to throw shit on other guy's work in the same line of business as you just to try and make yours look better, to me, it speaks volume about you.

VeraVoulik

Sean is a piece of art... He's been threatening and spewing shit on people that are doing leather patches everywhere around the internet with the only aim of trying to cut these guy's share and have more order. There was a point in time when every time Miroslav Sekulic would paint a patch, Sean would have the exact same one available 1 or 2 days after that and boast how superior and made in an historically correct way it was compared to any other. He did that for multiple times.

What I find utterly laughable is that Sean was having a fit a couple years ago on FB because the daughter of an AVG pilot, who's now in charge of the association, was threatening to sue him because of copyright infringement. He was boasting that his patch was different than the original one and that, anyway, the design was public property, yadda yadda... And now he's doing exactly the same!

I appreciate people being passionate about what they are doing, especially in the art domain. But if you have to throw shit on other guy's work in the same line of business as you just to try and make yours look better, to me, it speaks volume about you.
Pity it's sooo true in every artistic ways. I've had the same problem cause another jacket's artist felt threatened by my works...which is quite laughable as we aren't in the same line/style. :(