• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Dubow A-2 anyone??

ties70

Thanks, I think it will be the easier way to make it, good idea ;)

Hi @jerome35 ,

My approach to new jackets is usually:
I look at the measurements and compare them with those of my well-fitting jackets. There are dimensions that have priority ... for me these are the armpit-to-armpit width that has to be correct. For the rest, I choose the jacket size from the manufacturers table that matches the most, but leave all the measurements as the manufacturer specifies. My experience shows that jackets don't get better just because every size has been customized.

That's how I did it with the Dubow, and had to find out that the shoulder measurements of the 50 were specified much narrower than I usually need and find for the 48 with other manufacturers. But the rest looked good on paper. So buying the jacket like this was a risk ... the shoulders could also have been too small. But everything fits perfectly, as for FiveStar's Dubow the narrow shoulders are compensated by the larger armholes / sleeve openings.

Ties

jerome35

Hi @jerome35 ,

My approach to new jackets is usually:
I look at the measurements and compare them with those of my well-fitting jackets. There are dimensions that have priority ... for me these are the armpit-to-armpit width that has to be correct. For the rest, I choose the jacket size from the manufacturers table that matches the most, but leave all the measurements as the manufacturer specifies. My experience shows that jackets don't get better just because every size has been customized.

That's how I did it with the Dubow, and had to find out that the shoulder measurements of the 50 were specified much narrower than I usually need and find for the 48 with other manufacturers. But the rest looked good on paper. So buying the jacket like this was a risk ... the shoulders could also have been too small. But everything fits perfectly, as for FiveStar's Dubow the narrow shoulders are compensated by the larger armholes / sleeve openings.

Ties

Thanks Ties, exactly the problem: all measurments of the size 42 are ok, except the shoulder width, it may be a specificity of this jacket.

ties70

Thanks Ties, exactly the problem: all measurments of the size 42 are ok, except the shoulder width, it may be a specificity of this jacket.

It is. You can check the other makers if you want. I am pretty sure that GW's John Chapman mentions exactly that for his Dubow, too. Narrow shoulder, but wide armholes and generous sleeve tops...

WingAndaPrayer

It is. You can check the other makers if you want. I am pretty sure that GW's John Chapman mentions exactly that for his Dubow, too. Narrow shoulder, but wide armholes and generous sleeve tops...
Would you recommend that pattern A2 for someone with very broad shoulders like me?

ties70

Would you recommend that pattern A2 for someone with very broad shoulders like me?

I think there are probably better contracts for your needs.
Sure, Shawn will make everything possible and adapt each and every measurement to make you a good fitting jacket.

It is highly questionable if the jacket might still be a Dubow, then.

I know that Shawn has some new originals in his workshop. One of them is a Poughkeepsie, which is described to be "a good common sense" A-2. The shoulders and arm holes are roomy, the torso comfortable.

I would wait for that, if I was you...

Regards,

Ties

Brettafett

I have broad-ish shoulders and a trim waist, for my height. I find the Dubow pattern one of the most comfortable. Personally.

Its as Ties says, narrower shoulders, with slightly larger armholes, but its also how the front and back panels are proportioned.
Its a clever design.
For me with a 40" chest, Ive found with original WWII A-2s and high end repros, I have to size one up, ie a 42 for the best fit.

I prefer an inch added to lengths, depending on contract, so in the case of my Dubows above I got a 42 Long - perfect.

Intersting... I also have a Roughwear 42 (owned various RWs, Aeros, Monarchs and Dubows) and it has circa 18" shoulders, and I 'feel' them more so than the Dubow, please don't read tight, its just that I can feel the shoulders - if that makes sense. Its all in the pattern higher armholes etc...).

I would not discount the Dubow... But, if you are a larger guy, then the Poughkeepsie may be a good call.
If you are trim and tall, you may need to add some length.

cleancut

Gentlemen
I have had my Five*Dubow for about 2 weeks now. Some observations... the arm holes are larger by design per Shawn, the sleeves are really wide and again per Shawn that’s how they are designed. I find them a bit too wide compared to my Doniger but very comfortable. One other thing, the waist knits...they seem kinda loose again compared to the Doniger. Finally...the Dubow is very comfortable and the workmanship is outstanding. Just my two cents, my jacket knowledge is very minimal compared to you guys.

Attachments

• 2911B103-0E1F-4893-A8C9-38CA940A62C8.jpeg
    2911B103-0E1F-4893-A8C9-38CA940A62C8.jpeg
    762.8 KB · Views: 425
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 430
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 450
  • F86096CE-4101-4D2B-B185-0830CC6E1A35.jpeg
    F86096CE-4101-4D2B-B185-0830CC6E1A35.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 441

CBI

someone posted a 5 str Dudow on the 5 star FB page very recently . its little more of a distant shot but its as good as any Dubow I have ever seen IMO.

WingAndaPrayer

I have broad-ish shoulders and a trim waist, for my height. I find the Dubow pattern one of the most comfortable. Personally.

Its as Ties says, narrower shoulders, with slightly larger armholes, but its also how the front and back panels are proportioned.
Its a clever design.
For me with a 40" chest, Ive found with original WWII A-2s and high end repros, I have to size one up, ie a 42 for the best fit.

I prefer an inch added to lengths, depending on contract, so in the case of my Dubows above I got a 42 Long - perfect.

Intersting... I also have a Roughwear 42 (owned various RWs, Aeros, Monarchs and Dubows) and it has circa 18" shoulders, and I 'feel' them more so than the Dubow, please don't read tight, its just that I can feel the shoulders - if that makes sense. Its all in the pattern higher armholes etc...).

I would not discount the Dubow... But, if you are a larger guy, then the Poughkeepsie may be a good call.
If you are trim and tall, you may need to add some length.
I’m basically a beer keg with apendeges. My shoulders measure 24 inches across the back, I also have a longer torso compared to my arm length. I heard the United Sheeplined is roomy but the pattern Shawn has came from pictures and not an original. Perhaps I will hold off for the Poughkeepsie. I know the star is out based on the waist.