• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star Dubow A-2 anyone??

busdrivermike

Fresh out of the box, sorry about the picture quality, rather cloudy today.
First impressions are good, smells a bit goatish but that'll fade. Collar and epilets seem quite large but perhaps that's just me. Fit is good, I did go up in size as I felt my BK was getting a bit tight. All in all I'm pleased with it View attachment 49719
Wow I think that’s a great looking jacket , I love the relaxed look from going up a size.
I also really like the relaxed sleeves and arm holes, looks very comfortable out of the box

mulceber

@Nnatalie got an early Christmas present today:
DBF91EE9-00A5-4E82-A643-94018AF1AA37_1_105_c.jpeg

She's been wanting an A-2 like what the WASPs wore in WW2, and I think Shawn did about as good a job as possible in adapting the Dubow pattern into something a (petite) woman could wear. It's definitely not a "woman's jacket," but I think it captures the looks from this photo pretty well:
060807-F-1234P-003.jpg

I'll let @Nnatalie post her own assessment of it when she gets a chance, but I will comment on the goatskin: this is some of the nicest out-of-the-box goatskin I've seen. It's got a gorgeous color and texture to it, and it's a closer weight to the leather used on original A-2 jackets than most of the leathers on the market today. It feels like about the same thickness as the leather Eastman uses for their A-2s.
D6F85AEB-53EE-4FD8-9A42-7EA6D124FCE6_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

View attachment 49739

She's been wanting an A-2 like what the WASPs wore in WW2, and I think Shawn did about as good a job as possible in adapting the Dubow pattern into something a (petite) woman could wear. It's definitely not a "woman's jacket," but I think it captures the looks from this photo pretty well:
View attachment 49737

I'll let @Nnatalie post her own assessment of it when she gets a chance, but I will comment on the goatskin: this is some of the nicest out-of-the-box goatskin I've seen. It's got a gorgeous color and texture to it, and it's a closer weight to the leather used on original A-2 jackets than most of the leathers on the market today. It feels like about the same thickness as the leather Eastman uses for their A-2s.
View attachment 49738
Congrats on your new A2 Nat ! :)
jan you’re spot on . That goatskin is very nice, I assume that’s his premium option?

elfraty

Has anyone other than @leper-colony received their Five Star Dubow A-2?

On the Five Star website this jacket has been marked as sold out, so somebody's been buying them.

If you have yours, please post some images & your feedback on them.

Thanks!

Jim

I think Shawn was a bit slow putting the sold out sign there, so it was sold out for quite some time. When you look closely, you will see that now all the HH jackets are sold out. I urged him to do that and he did.

Nickb123

View attachment 49739

View attachment 49737

View attachment 49738

It most certainly looks just as good on a woman as a man. Living proof right there. Congrats.

Bombing IP

Ties your right ,I have been following with interest the 5 Star progress and its been a wonderful journey to see the progression . The Jacket looks as good as anyone else's . Ties I suspect you gave Shawn a lot of help behind the scene I know it's sort of been your pet project ,which we all thank you for . Also its made us look and understand many principles involved re making jackets ,especially how they look on the body and with the arms raised and so forth . Shawn to his credit is like a sponge absorbing all the info sent his way to raise his game to the Major League level of 1942 out of the box .One thing I wonder did all of this input help with manufacturing of the other non military jackets in his catalog.Which by I mean changing the way he builds other jacket because it is easier and has developed new improved manufacturing process which has perfected the look of the final product .After all the companies making jackets for the military in WW2 had a long manufacturing history before the war ,and were artisans of the process in their own right . So the Sherlock Holmes dissection of an original jacket would of uncovered a lot of little trade processes , this I am sure of because the look of the final product on Nick in the above picture and that's off the peg . And here we are with the replication of an original with subtle pizzazz . I am in engineering and I know how hard it is to make and design something ,I also know how hard it is to get it to be right when starting from scratch .I can only imagine the time you put into all you jacket development behind the scenes .Then there is finding the correct leather zip wool ribbing and lining color + the barrage of the forum when are you going to have this and when are you going to make this . WELL DONE SHAWN I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU . May the fruits of you labor be rewarded with many orders Shawn ,EXCELSIOR MY FRIEND .

BIP

Last edited: