• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five star Doniger.

s4rmark

Hi all,
After seeing Nicks(D97x7) excellent five star A-2 I’ve been thinking about one of their David D Doniger A-2,s. In seal Goatskin. My question is, has anyone on here got one in a size 40 or 42 ? And would be willing to share the measurements so that I could compare with my other jackets.

Last edited:

JimO

Hi Mark!

I am 5'10", 170# with an athletic build and have bought 3 ea, Five Star A-2 jackets in the following order: Doniger, Werber & Dubow. TYPICALLY, I fit an "off the rack", medium, size 42 jacket without any issues.

In my experience with Five Star products, I have found that their generic A-2 size chart (used to size all of their patterns EXCEPT the newly developed Dubow) has very little correlation to MY actual physique or sizing. My Doniger & Werber were made with a combination of measurements from both their XXS/38 and XS/40 sizes, as well as some others individually tailored. There is NO way a stock 38. 40 or 42 would have fit me well.

On the other hand, except for a slightly longer sleeve length, my Dubow has been made with their "off the rack" M/42 sizing. Their generic A-2 and Dubow sizing charts are COMPLETELY different.

In order to get a good fit to your own personal physique, I would HIGHLY recommend sending @Shawn Ali your body measurements and solicit his assistance & guidance.

I hope this information helps in the quest of achieving YOUR perfect fit. Good luck & have fun with the process!

Jim

Last edited:

foster

Does anybody know if Donigers were made in seal brown as well as russet?
I am only going off images of originals I have seen, and all of them seemed to be the russet shade. Some may have been made in seal, but I do not personally recall seeing one that matches that description.

Flash Badger

Hi Mark, I’ve got a 42 in seal brown. TBH I’m not a big fan of the seal, it’s a milk chocolatey brown which isn’t my favourite. I’m on holiday at the moment but I can send you the numbers when I get home on Saturday if you still want them?

garry

2BM2K

This one could be a dark russet or maybe a seal. Doesn't appear to be a redye.

Front View Flat.jpg

s4rmark

Thanks Garry, that would be good . I’ve sent five star a set of measurements that I think would fit me fine and I’ve asked Shawn a couple of questions on leather,linings and knits, just waiting for a reply. I know what you mean about the seal colour, if they could get it dyed similar to Eastman’s Roughwears I reckon they’d be on to a winner.

Flash Badger

The Leather on the new Dubow Ties has reviewed in the reviews section looks the business. I believe it’s veg dyed which may give the better colour.

garry
Thanks Garry, that would be good . I’ve sent five star a set of measurements that I think would fit me fine and I’ve asked Shawn a couple of questions on leather,linings and knits, just waiting for a reply. I know what you mean about the seal colour, if they could get it dyed similar to Eastman’s Roughwears I reckon they’d be on to a winner.