• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star D-1 vs M-444 vs M-445A

tda003

Will be pulling the trigger on one of these from 5* this fall. There seem to be three of the D-1 jackets, two M-445A jackets and one M-444. What is the essential difference between the M-444, M-445A and D-1? My lack of knowledge on the subject is astounding.

mulceber

D-1 was a mechanic's jacket, but was used a lot by air force pilots, who found that it was warmer than an A-2, less bulky than a B-3, and more readily available than a B-6. If you go for that one, go for the one listed as a Werber, since Shawn actually copied that one from an original. The M-444 and M-445 A are both Navy jackets, and all three of them have lighter fleece than a B-3.

Last edited:

FreddyF9

The M-445 and the M-444 may look the same but, there are some differences.
The M-445 has: a larger collar, a leather wind flap (similar to the G-1), 1/2 inch fleece and a shorter zipper; the last 8-10 cm of the jacket are button closed to be undone when you are sitting.
On the other side the M-444 features: thinner 1/4 inch fleece, a shearing wind flap (like a B-3) and a full length zipper (you can zip up even the collar). I may have missed something but those are the main differences.
If you want my personal opinion the best of the three jackets you are considering to buy is the D-1; which is simpler but also easier to wear than the other two.

tda003

Thanks. That helps narrow down the choices. Thinner fleece is a real plus since the winters here are warmer than up North, even if North is Atlanta.

tda003

Referencing the Werber, I'm assuming that the last two pictures on 5* web site show the original left and the copy right. Second, between the D-1 & M-444, which has shorter fleece? Finally and heretically, could both be ordered with the same pile thickness even if the difference isn't strictly true to the original. (Apologetically, ultimately, they are reproductions....:mad:)

Really liking these emoji things.

Last edited:

mulceber

I'm assuming that the last two pictures on 5* web site show the original left and the copy right.

Yep.

Second, between the D-1 & M-444, which has shorter fleece? Finally and heretically, could both be ordered with the same pile thickness even if the difference is strictly true to the original.

From what LC said, M-444 should be a little thinner: 1/4 inch vs 1/3 inch. I imagine Shawn would be up for using the thinner shearling for a D-1 though. He’s done this kind of thing before.

FreddyF9

May I suggest to take in consideration also a B-6? It is a bit more elaborate than a D-1 (same shearling thickness) and has: hand warmer pockets, bi-swing back and side zipper/buckle adjustments. The only major “con” the B-6 has is that it fits trimmer than the other sheepskin military jackets.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

May I suggest to take in consideration also a B-6? It is a bit more elaborate than a D-1 (same shearling thickness) and has: hand warmer pockets, bi-swing back and side zipper/buckle adjustments. The only major “con” the B-6 has is that it fits trimmer than the other sheepskin military jackets.
Epps are pointless.......

D-1 all the way!

Go Groundcrew!

tda003

I like the looks of the B-6 jacket a lot. However, it has two things going against it. The 1st is that the shearling is quite thick, more than twice as thick as the thickest shearling of either the M-444 or D-1 and I live in Florida and since Shawn doesn't make one, customizing an already expensive copy could get even steeper. The last point is that for the price, I can by a 5* and go on a plantation quail hunt in South Georgia (including lodging, meals and ammo) and the quail hunt is going to win every time.

For the purists, when Wilber and Orville taught me to fly, any jacket was a flight jacket and, thus, authentic.

FreddyF9

I like the looks of the B-6 jacket a lot. However, it has two things going against it. The 1st is that the shearling is quite thick, more than twice as thick as the thickest shearling of either the M-444 or D-1 and I live in Florida and since Shawn doesn't make one, customizing an already expensive copy could get even steeper. The last point is that for the price, I can by a 5* and go on a plantation quail hunt in South Georgia (including lodging, meals and ammo) and the quail hunt is going to win every time.

For the purists, when Wilber and Orville taught me to fly, any jacket was a flight jacket and, thus, authentic.

Actually the B-6 has the same fleece thickness as the D-1 and M-444 (1/4 inch), but some manufactures like Aero leather use a thicker fleece for it.
Shaw doesn’t have a B-6 in his catalog yet but he is coping an original he got one or two weeks ago.

tda003