• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fit pics new FiveStar Doniger A2

Tigers9968

Hi all. Thought I would put up a couple of pics of my new FiveStar Doniger A2 (size 44).
It arrived on monday but i’ve been on holiday in Cornwall and have only just back an hour ago lol
730FDC52-BB29-422A-9550-EF75F384A9EB.jpeg
EEDC6EA2-9C4D-45FC-A263-D3786BFEF814.jpeg

excusing the bright red nose and head i think it fits great. I’m 5ft 9, 44 chest and 32 waist weighing in at 13st and for want of a better word quite wide!
Shawns work is brilliant and i’m already looking at ordering an M422A from him in the near future.

mulceber

I actually think you need a size smaller. Shawn’s jackets tend to fit large, and an A-2 should really have 3-5 inches of chest space. Looking at Shawn’s measurements, a 42 would leave you with 4 inches of chest space, which would be perfect.

Tigers9968

i thought that myself but i do have a broad back and for the money its not a massive outlay. do you think its too much hassle sending it back and getting another in 42?
I know from posts on here if i'm not happy Shawns not happy and will try to get things squared.
i do really like it though lol

mulceber

Difficult to say; I’d say see what other people have to say. Mine’s just one opinion after all.

Do you think with two inches less space in the chest that the jacket would be uncomfortable?

Tigers9968

Difficult to say; I’d say see what other people have to say. Mine’s just one opinion after all.

Do you think with two inches less space in the chest that the jacket would be uncomfortable?
I reckon it might be. I’m sat here in it right now and it feels fine but i have to admit i’m used to wearing baggy jackets.
I could always wear it for a month or so and get another if I’m not happy. I’m sure selling it won’t be an issue.

mulceber

True that. Might also be worth buying one in a smaller size, seeing which one fits better, and selling the other. Shawn’s jackets are reasonably priced enough that it’s doable.

That also might be a good idea if you’re planning on buying more jackets in the future, just so you can really nail your measurements.

Silver Surfer

the size looks good, except for the long sleeve length. not to worry though, a dip in a hot water for each arm, and then folding and un folding your arms at the elbow will shorten the sleeve length by 1/2". also with real wear, the sleeves will shorten a wee bit more. the body looks fine and comfy. ps: welcome to the abusement park.

B-Man2

If your happy with it...that's what counts.
Enjoy your new jacket and see how you feel about it in a couple of months or so.
If this is your first A2 jacket, you will most likely sell it on as many of us do, and find another model that you like better.
Whatever you do, don't stress over it.......have fun with it. ;)

Tigers9968

Looks fine to me, all to easy to get wrapped up in doubt, approach it like a military issue garment. Who knows you might even wear it in the rain and find it shrinks a little.
If I treated it like my issued stuff it would be trashed in 6 months lol
I know what you mean though, it takes time for leather to bed itself in. I have a pair of Lowa patrol boots that have taken an absolute age to break in and now after a year they are fantastic and will last me years with a resole or two.

Tigers9968

So I got thinking last night about ordering a new one in a smaller size and decided to have a go at shrinking the jacket instead.
I filled up the bath this morning with hot water and soaked the jacket for 5 mins.
I took it out of the bath and quickly dabbed the excess water from the lining with a towel.
I then zipped the jacket up and chucked it in the tumble dryer along with the towel.
I checked the jacket every ten minutes and turned it inside out to dry out the lining.
Took a good hour to dry out but the results in my opinion were worth the risk.
The jacket measurements under the armpits were 24” and it has shrunk to just over 22” and the arms probably by half an inch or so.
6CBDC179-9716-452B-83F4-889E25FE4AE3.jpeg
A1AEA827-6BED-4FB6-A8F3-8A2B0A7C57F7.jpeg
1CFB6E15-44B3-40C3-800E-12CB09262362.jpeg

You can see from the last image the grain has popped and there is a nice bit of wearing to the pocket flap edge.