• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fit pics - new ELC RW 27752

Showerfan

Obviously need it to be much longer in the arms, just ordered a standard 46 to see if it fits in the body and now I’ll send it back to Eastman for the added length.

i love the way it looks in the shoulders, and the chest is actually fine as well, when I’m standing still. But my movement is restricted in terms of reaching forward — I don’t think I could ride a bike in this, or fly a B-24.

People say it’ll feel tight at first, because of the high armholes, etc. And i do prefer a trim look. But I want to ride my bike and drive my car. So should I stick with the 46 or size up to a 48?

PS the knits are weak the waist is huge, like a straight drop from the chest, but that’s just the contract.
D8199F75-013B-4FF2-BD34-28304A467F04.jpeg
864D04E4-7A26-4B33-B850-247627EE3B6B.jpeg
B6E5B437-93D9-4A39-BF94-B722978EF0F1.jpeg
98325607-84EB-4EB6-984C-01B0C4055510.jpeg

Brettafett

Ideally you'd want to at least try a 48.
There would be a bit more room to move for sure, but you may find the shoulders drooping a bit and more room in the torso. Thats a thing with this contract. Boxy.

The 46 to me looks right, but I know what you mean about perception vs fit. If it was me, Id get 1.5" added to body and sleeves. Thats the max ELC will add. The jacket will loosen up and soften the more you wear it.

ELC's HLB is a very comfy A-2, pity Gary only makes it in russet now. Still, the pattern although trim, is very forgiving.

Thing with A-2s generally speaking, is any activity requiring you to lift your arms or reach forward, will cause sleeve 'pull back' and maybe some discomfort. This should lessen the more you wear the jacket in... imo G-1s/ M-422as are so much more comfy for riding bike.

Dany McDonald

Hello,

My two cents...

I'say the fit is spot-on for a slim look, except the sleeve length of course

So stick with a 46 with added sleeve. And if you wana ride go with a bit more than expected in length cause they can go up almost an inch with creases forming depending on the leather.

And man that leather is nice!

Dany

Showerfan

The leather is so nice, i just want to make out with it :p Also a reason I wanted to avoid the .50 cal Timeworn treatment -- it's perfect as is. You guys are the best, thanks for the replies!

mulceber

Yeah, I would size up to a 48. If you don’t, definitely get double-long. I’ve experienced the restricted movement of the arms as well, and does get better, but my RW still rides up significantly when I lift my arms. Maybe an ELC Star would be better in this regard? It would still be seal.

Brettafett

btw, if you do choose to try a 48, it will drive you crazy if you've returned the 46. Only makes sense really if you have both to compare.

Star is a great jacket, but I found the shoulders narrow and even more pull than the RW (same for Monarch), but that may be down to my body type and fit preference.

Brettafett

You know, last year I bought an ELC RW1401 40, now I generally always wear a 40 in ELCs jacket (40 long), but I tried a 42 at the Airshow and if felt great. More room to move etc so I ordered one and sold the 40. I received it and yes, it was great jacket as usual, and it did feel comfy, but... The more I put the jacket on, the more I noticed and felt the extra room in the torso, around the waists and the slightly droopy shoulders.
Point is, if you can wear a 46 with a shirt and its comfy in the body, not tight or restrictive, then it should be the right fit. Get the added length (account also for slight shortening due to creasing and wearing in over time - Ive had this with every ELC bar-none... 0.5" to almost 1")

Almost all A-2s will have the sleeve pull, due to pattern... there may be one or two exceptions (HLB is a super easy wearer, No Name 18246, WW2 Cooper, Poughkeepsie etc...), but get the added length and wear the jacket in and it will relax. I have worn a denim jacket under an ELC that felt slightly tight, and over a short period of time it stretched out. Stretched is the wrong word really, but it 'opened' up, so when I wore a t-shirt it fit perfectly.

Last edited:

Showerfan

@Brettafett i know what you mean. I don’t expect it to stretch but it will mold more to my frame. I just drove to the post office in the 46, and it was already feeling better by the time I got there. So I sent it back and asked them to add two inches to the body and sleeves (they say they’ll only add 1.5”, but I’m begging! And I’m a good customer;)).

what is HLB?

B-Man2

Hi Showerfan
Sorry I’m late to the party, An HBL A2 jacket was made by the HBL Corp in 1937. It was a very small 1 year contract for about 375 jackets . So basically it was a one and done contract that is extremely rare to find in an original jacket.
cheers
BTW added length in sleeves and torso and you’ve got a winner .

Brettafett

1.5" is max. I think its to do with the leather panels they cut from. But I recon 1.5" would be good.

The guys at ELC might hate me for adding this, but what Ive done in the past, is ask if they could cut just outside the cut lines for the body to get a teeny bit of extra room out of it without having to size up. ie a 46 essentially becomes a 47. Perhaps a personal all to Rob, and explain that the 46 fits great, but would be perfect with a touch of room and that a 48 would be too big. May not happen, but worth a try (BK did this beautifully with my second Dubow).
And understanding the 1.5" max added length, just re-iterate for the sleeves to be as long as possible, pretty please.

I have had many ELC RWs and almost all have been the same size, with same length added etc, and almost all of them have had slight variations... Depends on many things.

Yes, ELCs HLB is a lovely jacket, quite unique. They made a seal re-dyed 23rd FG version which is amazing. I found the fit exceptionally good and comfortable for my regular size.
I almost, almost bought a russet version. I kinda regret I didn't.
In fact, they used a special type of zipper, which is very tricky and I sort of broke one trying one at an Airshow ;)

ButteMT61

I agree on getting a 46 but longer bits.
Shoulders on this are good, a 48 likely will drop off and won't look as sharp, IMO.
The hide looks nice, so I see why you want it to work, but if you settle now, you'll be flipping it later!

Showerfan

I now see the HLB in my Flight Jacket Identification Manual — thanks! Just finished reading it.

i will beg and please with Eastman — I deal with David there. I would love a re-dye. I see BR used to offer one, as well.

Ep_1979

btw, if you do choose to try a 48, it will drive you crazy if you've returned the 46. Only makes sense really if you have both to compare.

Star is a great jacket, but I found the shoulders narrow and even more pull than the RW (same for Monarch), but that may be down to my body type and fit preference.
How does the BK Cable compare?

B-Man2

I now see the HLB in my Flight Jacket Identification Manual — thanks! Just finished reading it.

i will beg and please with Eastman — I deal with David there. I would love a re-dye. I see BR used to offer one, as well.
You may want to check on the price before you commit to a re-dye . It’s a lot of extra labor and time . They ain’t cheap.

Brettafett

BK's Cable looks amazing! Ive been very tempted for a russet version. I understand that its a comfortable pattern.
Eastman's version is quite a lot like the RW and Werber, so I'd assume its like for like.

I agree about the re-dye. A lot of work and a lot of money on top.
Also, Gary is very picky, he won't do customs. I begged for a re-dye seal HLB without patches, but they would not do it without the patches, for example.
I highly doubt you'd get a RW re-dye other than the Hilts version. You can do it yourself ;)