• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fit Pics FiveStar 55J14 G-1

Tigers9968

Hi all I haven’t been on here in quite a while due to work etc so I thought I would show my latest purchase off FiveStar.
Its a lovely 55J14 G-1 in size 42. I chose one of Shawns Seal Brown goatskin G-1s but got him to make it with a lighter reddish brown mouton collar instead of the dark brown advertised on his website.
In terms of measurements I measured up my original size 42 70s G-1 which fits me perfectly and Shawns size 42 looked to be the closest.
After ordering I had the usual emails confirming sizing and all said and done the jacket arrived after 12 days! Shawn really knocks it out of the park with just sheer speed and excellent customer service.
FF653B58-5E4A-4BF3-85B8-594EE1013B7A.jpeg
E49F1EA1-8F95-4B05-AC98-B955A4AD25A0.jpeg
F24BF83A-41A3-402A-B5BA-FB93457D448B.jpeg

ausreenactor

Hi all I haven’t been on here in quite a while due to work etc so I thought I would show my latest purchase off FiveStar.
Its a lovely 55J14 G-1 in size 42. I chose one of Shawns Seal Brown goatskin G-1s but got him to make it with a lighter reddish brown mouton collar instead of the dark brown advertised on his website.
In terms of measurements I measured up my original size 42 70s G-1 which fits me perfectly and Shawns size 42 looked to be the closest.
After ordering I had the usual emails confirming sizing and all said and done the jacket arrived after 12 days! Shawn really knocks it out of the park with just sheer speed and excellent customer service.View attachment 51550View attachment 51551View attachment 51552

Another success story. Great jacket!

JimmyD51

Tigers,
Looks great. Just ordered the M422a myself. Ordered the rib rack knits and was told they were $30 extra. Aren't all M422 and M422a jackets made with single ply rib rack knits in original contracts? Seems odd to me that I have to pay extra for knits that original jackets came with. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I thought they came. Did you request them?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

ties70

Tigers,
Looks great. Just ordered the M422a myself. Ordered the rib rack knits and was told they were $30 extra. Aren't all M422 and M422a jackets made with single ply rib rack knits in original contracts? Seems odd to me that I have to pay extra for knits that original jackets came with. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I thought they came. Did you request them?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Jim,

you are absolutely right, originals came with rib-rack knits.
The first (and as I suspect still most) jackets from FS didn't / don't have these, they came / come with the A-2 style waistbands.

FS sourced the rib-racks from the US and started to offer them as an option...most of his customers seem to prefer the A-2 style, though, so I would assume that Shawn decided not to make the rib-racks standard and increase the basic price for his M-422a / G-1, but do it the other way around...

Ties

B-Man2

Hi Ties
I see what you’re referring to in the photo of Tigers back. While it may have something to do with the construction of the jacket, it’s also possible that it could also have something to do with some other factors. For instance Tigers stance in the photo looks like he has the right part of his body more forward and his shoulders are not even , the left one looks lower . That might make the back look bulky on one side. It could also simply be the way he’s built. I know I have one shoulder slightly higher that the other and in just about every photo I take of my back the jacket looks like Tigers photo. See below
4EA1DB69-E2A9-453F-8ABD-A9FE17FAB450.jpeg
E34920F3-3D70-49A6-962C-C8AFB6B87641.jpeg

So my thoughts are it could be a couple of different factors of which the construction might be one issue . Hard to tell unless Tiger lines up squarely with his back to the camera.
What are your thoughts ?
Cheers

Burt,

Is it only me or does the back construction still needs some improvement? I still see too much material and slightly "batty" back panels...

Ties

ties70

Burt,

absolutely possible that you are right...I have just checked photos on the GW site and on some of the reverse view pics the far away shoulder shows the same bulging as Tiger's jacket.

@Tigers9968 would you post a pic of the back side, unworn and flat on the ground? It would help to see the shape of the back panel a little better...

Thanks in advance,

Ties

Grant

Just my two cents on the Five Star 55J14. One thing I've noticed on original 55J14's is they're cut longer in the torso (similar to the late WWII ANJ3a and AN6552's) than the later 7823 series USN jackets. The length of the jacket in the photo looks more like a late 7823 series. Again, just my 2 cents.

ties70

Just my two cents on the Five Star 55J14. One thing I've noticed on original 55J14's is they're cut longer in the torso (similar to the late WWII ANJ3a and AN6552's) than the later 7823 series USN jackets. The length of the jacket in the photo looks more like a late 7823 series. Again, just my 2 cents.

Grant,

I noticed that too, but the original post said the jacket was made after "his 42 70s G-1" measurements and "Shawn's size 42 looked to be closest".

So it's quite possible, the jacket was customized after an original (shorter) 7823...

Ties