• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fit Opinion Requested

SteveN

I recently re-acquired a M422A in outstanding condition that's been floating around the forum for about 10 years or more. At the same time, the owner (a VLJ member) also sold me an even better condition jacket. This one is, as near as I can tell, NOS. It has no holes on the leather from being patched, and the lining is in perfect condition. He bought it from someone on the FL, who got it in an op shop in Las Vegas. Sadly I've not been able to find the discussion thread on FL.

In any event, I'd like to get opinions on the fit. Although tagged a 40, it's a little bit different than the G&F I bought back from him. This is a W&G AN-6552. All comments appreciated:

Silver Surfer

it may be slightly large on ya, but it lines up well, and it looks like you can fit a light sweater underneath. if its the length that you are concerned about, dont be, as those earlier navy jackets were made long, and that is the way they should look. aint it nice too have a real deal wwll jacket that is a wearer?

Last edited:

CoopDog

Most would say it looks very long. I personally prefer a longer fit myself and i think it looks good on you.

SteveN

The length is exactly what I was worried about and just wanted confirmation; and it is a bit large in the chest, with me being a 38 and the jacket a 40. You guys have good eyes. Given I have two, I might put one or the other up for sale and get a AN-J-3 with a better fit. Well, I guess a modern fit is amore accurate term. As @CoopDog & @Silver Surfer point out, this is how they are supposed to fit. In fact, this AN-J-3 from @Maverickson looks similarly oversized on the wearer to my eye, which is one of the short-listed repos I'm looking at.

jeremiah

I like it. Congrats. I once had a jacket like this in my hands. Fit me like a glove. Sadly it wasn’t mine to keep.

Brettafett

Looks comfy, but I understand how fit is so subjective. If you are not comfy in it, move it on. How tall are you, I usually wear a 40 and had an original G&F M442a size 40 a while back.

MikeyB-17

This is what a lot of people don’t realise, and why an M-422a is not a G-1. The G-1 is considerably shorter.

SteveN

Looks comfy, but I understand how fit is so subjective. If you are not comfy in it, move it on. How tall are you, I usually wear a 40 and had an original G&F M442a size 40 a while back.
Not tall: 5' 10", but then that's about how big the WWII guys were as well... Maybe the G-1 is an option. They seem to come up for sale frequently, and are much cheaper.

Nickb123

What does the label look like? Looks awfully like the W&G 6552 I sold here or on TFL a few years ago...found it in Los Angeles, however.

ties70

I think the fit is good and authentic for an old WWII model Navy jacket.

Your photos are taken in a mirror with a slight top-to-down angle, so this might make the jacket look longer than it actually is...as I said, it's looking good!

B-Man2

Gosh, you guys ought to be working for Sherlock Holmes How did you possibly know that? (it is in one of those mirrors).
You think that’s good? .........Just wait until he tells you whether your wearing boxers or briefs!;)

Last edited: