• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First New FJ in Years

Atticus

I can foresee that the tanker will get quite a bit of wear next winter. It's a warm, comfortable military jacket that doesn't look particularly military. I think it will be wearable with a wide variety of clothing...not unlike an unpatched A-2.

AF

CBI

at the end of the day..........the Tanker is my favorite WW2 jacket. I love all those pictures of 9th AF pilots wearing them as flight jackets. And yes, a great "military" jackets that doesn't necessarily look like one.

Bombing IP

Atticus I am also a Southerner from the south of England and I to also had problems with people understanding my English . I had to change the format protocol so I did not have to say everything twice and got some very strange looks when I asked for things as one would ask in England .

BIP

Bombing IP

Yes, I'll probably will have them shortened. I recently found a good tailor here in New Bern. She's a Vietnamese lady who speaks broken English, but she can sew like a demon! When I first met her, she apologized for having difficulty with English. I told her that no apology was necessary. As a devout Southerner, I had difficulty with English, too. But together, we'd figure it out.

AF

Ask the lady for some Pho ,its Vietnams most famous dish it takes 2 days to make . I am sure she would give you some when she makes it .

BIP

Atticus

Ask the lady for some Pho ,its Vietnams most famous dish it takes 2 days to make . I am sure she would give you some when she makes it .

BIP

Many of my friends visited over there during the early '70s. They've told me stories of Vietnam's indigenous food...including buried rotten eggs and equally rotten cabbage...and mouth searing hot sauce. That particular delicacy had a name, but I've forgotten it.

AF

Bombing IP

Pho
Phở or pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of broth, rice noodles called bánh phở, a few herbs, and meat, primarily made with either beef or chicken. Pho is a popular street food in Vietnam and the specialty of a number of restaurant chains around the world. Vietnamese people usually consume it at any time of day. It is often served with sriracha sauce. Pho originated in the early 20th century in northern Vietnam, and was popularized throughout the rest of the world by refugees after the Vietnam War. Because pho's origins are poorly documented, there is significant disagreement over the cultural influences that led to its development in Vietnam, as well as the etymology of the word itself. The Hanoi and Saigon styles of pho differ by noodle width, sweetness of broth, and choice of herbs. A related noodle soup, bún bò Huế, is associated with Huế in central Vietnam.

NOTHING BURIED OR ROTTEN HERE ,if you get a chance try it . There is a restaurant local to me called Saigonese I went with a co worker from Saigon one of the boat people to try it (that's another story ). He ordered in the meal in Vietnamese and the only person in there who spoke Vietnamese was the floor sweeper the whole restaurant was Chinese .Well he thought the food was horrible I got to try the Pho it was good ,but he promises to take me to a better place in Queens .Since he has lived in the states he says the best Pho was in Anaheim California ,I digress off the subject sorry .
BIP

Atticus

Pho
Phở or pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of broth, rice noodles called bánh phở, a few herbs, and meat, primarily made with either beef or chicken. Pho is a popular street food in Vietnam and the specialty of a number of restaurant chains around the world. Vietnamese people usually consume it at any time of day. It is often served with sriracha sauce. Pho originated in the early 20th century in northern Vietnam, and was popularized throughout the rest of the world by refugees after the Vietnam War. Because pho's origins are poorly documented, there is significant disagreement over the cultural influences that led to its development in Vietnam, as well as the etymology of the word itself. The Hanoi and Saigon styles of pho differ by noodle width, sweetness of broth, and choice of herbs. A related noodle soup, bún bò Huế, is associated with Huế in central Vietnam.

NOTHING BURIED OR ROTTEN HERE ,if you get a chance try it . There is a restaurant local to me called Saigonese I went with a co worker from Saigon one of the boat people to try it (that's another story ). He ordered in the meal in Vietnamese and the only person in there who spoke Vietnamese was the floor sweeper the whole restaurant was Chinese .Well he thought the food was horrible I got to try the Pho it was good ,but he promises to take me to a better place in Queens .Since he has lived in the states he says the best Pho was in Anaheim California ,I digress off the subject sorry .
BIP

Yes. That sounds very good. I'd happily eat that. Sad to say, we don't have a Vietnamese restaurant in our area. I don't know that I've ever eaten real Vietnamese food. There are probably many in the Triange area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) and it might be worth a trip up there to give pho a try!

AF

Atticus

My ATF B-10 just arrived. It is definitely a keeper. The fit is absolutely spot on. Even the sleeves are the correct length for me. I'll do some photos this weekend.

AF

Monsoon

I saw the ATF Tankers with the fleece when I was at the Gap. They look the same as the wool jackets, but way less itch of wool. I don't think you can go wrong if you got either. I have a wool ATF Tanker myself.

Atticus

I just took a couple of photos of my new ATF B-10. The quality of the pictures is humble, but it was the best that I could do with my phone and a selfie stick. Don't laugh. The selfie stick was a gift. Also, while the jacket is really quite nice, the portly sixty-one-year-old guy who modeled it was less than stellar.

A couple of observations: First, this is a very well-made, substantial jacket. It is clearly all the B-10 that I'll ever need in North Carolina. Truthfully, it's so substantial, I suspect that it might end up being my go-to Wisconsin jacket. While I understand that it lacks a bit in authenticity, it comes much closer to the mark than I would have ever imagined, especially given it's price. It's most obvious compromise to modern materials, is the man-made lining. But this doesn't bother me a whit. The fleece used by ATF is thick and comfortable, and it doesn't itch...as would alpaca. This means I can wear this jacket with short sleeves...a definite plus in the climate where I live. The collar sure seems to be real mouton. The shell of the jacket is heavy poplin (I guess) and the zipper is a reasonable facsimile of an old Talon. The leather tab on the zipper pull kinda sucks, but I'll replace it with seal goatskin. There are no markings anywhere on the jacket...no USAAF roundel on the sleeve or on the windflap...which also pleases me. I'm at the stage in my life that I like my military jackets to have a very subtle presence. I no longer like my jackets festooned with patches and insignia that scream "military". I'm still ok with that sort of stuff on my ball caps, but not my jackets.

As you can see, the fit is generous. This is a size XL and, by way of comparison, I wear a size 48 sports coat. While younger guys might like a trimmer fit, I like my outerwear to fit more loosely. I like my jeans to fit loosely, too. Every man eventually reaches the day when he looks better with a lot of clothes on, and I've reached that day.

All in all, I'm hopeful that this B-10 will prove to be one of my best jacket purchases. It sure seems like it'll be a warm, practical, well-fitting jacket come November. It'll work well with jeans or khakis, short or long sleeves and I won't be afraid for it to be touched by rain or snow. If I ever see snow again. And, best of all, I have less than a hundred bucks invested in it.

Down south, we'd probably call that a value.

30CFA3FC-57D5-4943-B1A2-DEAC9D7CBB6D_zpsxsysnknr.jpg

65E9B9A2-9D5B-4625-B5E3-B5335082EDF2_zps6agpz4nk.jpg

AF

Last edited:

Atticus

Perfect Bloody fit my friend .

BIP

Thank you! I am very pleased with this purchase. This B-10 reminds me greatly of the 1990s Alpha Replica Series B-15s. They weren't spot-on accurate reproductions...like a Buzz Rickson...but they were darn close reproductions. And they were absolutely great values for the price.

AF

CBI

looks great - externally a super repro. The lining is nothing to worry about! It Does make the jacket a bit pooffy but looks great on you!!!! Congrats

Atticus

looks great - externally a super repro. The lining is nothing to worry about! It Does make the jacket a bit pooffy but looks great on you!!!! Congrats

Thanks! Sad to say, the "poof" isn't in the jacket...but it was kind of you to say so. ☺️

AF

BTW...I followed your suggestion and took my Tanker to the seamstress. She's shortening the sleeves as we speak.

Smithy

Looks great Atticus. I got one in January of this year and like you absolutely love it. One of the most comfortable, practical and versatile flying jackets there is. The ATF version is a steal even for the normal price.

It looks great on you, wear and enjoy. Thanks for the B-24 crew pic as well.

CBI

I owned two of these at one point and the poof was in the jacket, the lining is thicker that originals and jackets from BR. This is a great jacket especially for the price! Once it's broken in, it will really have THE look! Be sure to wear it a lot!!!!!

johnwayne

Been thinking about a repro B10 myself, normally a 44" so by what your saying I'd best go for L not XL? Not sure I'll ever wear it with a collar and tie but quoting a Rod Stewart song, "you wear it well"!!