• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First leather jacket for 40 year old. Any ideas?

rob20uk

Hey all,

I have someone that is looking for a cool yet not crazy expensive jacket for someone turning 40.

They are looking for a good quality jacket, the jacket will be their first leather jacket and probably their only one. They are in the U.K. and things like Aero are probably out of the price range. I am thinking some of the more mainstream Scott ones etc.

Have you any suggestions for a good solid jacket that has a super classic and classy look that a 40 year old can enjoy.

Any and all suggestions are all welcome.

:)

Feliz

Hey all,

I have someone that is looking for a cool yet not crazy expensive jacket for someone turning 40.

They are looking for a good quality jacket, the jacket will be their first leather jacket and probably their only one. They are in the U.K. and things like Aero are probably out of the price range. I am thinking some of the more mainstream Scott ones etc.

Have you any suggestions for a good solid jacket that has a super classic and classy look that a 40 year old can enjoy.

Any and all suggestions are all welcome.

:)
I would go along with Fivestar, I purchased my first flight jacket from Shawn when I was 81 and I have a few of them now…..for the money they are hard to beat.

rob20uk

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think he is looking for more of a mainstream style brown civilian biker style jacket. I think the main thing is making sure it's a decent quality one that will not break the bank.

Brettafett

What about a Half Belt or Cafe Racer? Sub £300.... I know AVI will make to whatever leather you want, so these can be seal brown, russet or black... HH or goat.
Can also add length if needed, easy returns, etc... Why not drop Morten an email and ask.

Pa12

Off topic a bit but I saw something interesting the other day. A guy was redoing a dashboard on an old Porsche in leather. He said they use Italian leather because they don’t use barb wired fence in Italy. Guess our poor old cows here are all marked up from the barbed wire.

B-Man2

Off topic a bit but I saw something interesting the other day. A guy was redoing a dashboard on an old Porsche in leather. He said they use Italian leather because they don’t use barb wired fence in Italy. Guess our poor old cows here are all marked up from the barbed wire.
You’ll find scars from Barb wire on original WWII jackets occasionally. Scaring of the leather was never an issue during the war. The hides were used regardless of the marks .

mulceber

I'm not sure he's right. My understanding is that animal hides are auctioned off to tanners internationally. If so, Italian leather doesn't necessarily come from Italian animals. The person I was talking to was speaking primarily of horse, but indicated cow is the same.

Last edited:

mulceber

It's possible that some of the Italian tanneries don't bid on any hides that come from outside of Italy (or from countries that use barbed wire), but it would be strange to single out barbed wire when there are SO MANY factors that can cause blemishes in leather: fighting, bug bites, cellulite. And most craftsmen using the leather avoid using problem areas too.

Pa12

Probably an old myth. Considering the dashboard is split into 2 pieces with a sewn seam, I think the cow would have to be pretty beat up if you couldn’t get that much nice hide out of it.

FreddyF9

Sorry, but this is completely wrong. I’m Italian and my parents (also my grandparents) are farmers, we always used barb wired fences for big animals enclosures; both for meat or hide breeds. Everyone else around us does the same.

Nickb123

My uneducated guess is that leather doesn’t become “leather” until it is tanned, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the hides were sourced elsewhere.