• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

finnish air force leather jackets modern

dinomartino1

D0fpL1uWwAYWAjf.jpg
Finnish air force leather jackets modern

DpwY8OAU8AEovFh.jpg

Officer Dibley

Are these authorised for wear in the cockpit of fast jets and/or large jets or are these uniform ground use only ?
Look good either way. Thanks for posting

Skyhawk

Pretty cool!
Looks like it would be well suited for the open road on a motorcycle as well.

dinomartino1

Are these authorised for wear in the cockpit of fast jets and/or large jets or are these uniform ground use only ?
Look good either way. Thanks for posting
I don't know.
The RAAF, RCAF, and the RAF [they used to, I don't know what the case is now], allow aircrew to wear leather jackets. they are not issue items, though I think the crews the RAAF VIP places are issued leather jackets

RAF
Aircrew-specific uniforms are officially designated as Number 14 Dress by the RAF. Aircrew on flying duties wear an olive drab flying suit in temperate regions or a khaki flying suit in desert regions. A leather flying jacket, purchased at individual expense, may be worn with the flying suit but only while the wearer is on the ground.

The RAAF regulations actually state the original 30-1415 drawing number.
RAAF publications warn about being careful when buying as many jackets have the 30-1415 drawing number but are not compliant.
Seal Brown and goatskin
No hand warmer pockets
Velcro for patches is optional
They have internal pockets and an internal pen holder though.
The box stitching on the epaulets is cosmetic they are not stitched to the shoulder to allow for use of rank sliders.
So if you wanted you could wear an aero or any other makers jacket
They can be worn when flying as the RAAF considers goatskin to be a better fire retardant than nomex.
A couple of companies here make them, these ones are the best at US$167 new
Not mine just pics I found, theses are RAAF approved.

upload_2018-6-25_23-56-34-2.png
upload_2018-6-25_23-54-53.png

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Those look way better than the USA's modern A-2's and we made the originals :(

I wonder if the Ausies have the illusive drawings from the 1940's? Maybe acquired when they made some jackets during the war?

Interesting!

- Jay

Skyhawk

Yeah but it doesn't look even close to the quality of the Christies ones.

Look at the awful knit attachment on those polyester knits. Also that hide looks pretty bland. Looks plastic like. This looks more in line with the modern USA USAF jackets. The pockets are too big as well.

Also it says the lining is a polyester blend. So much for superior to Nomex fire resistance.

I have nothing against Pop's but this looks more like a poorly executed repro of the RAAF jackets than a modern spec. jacket based on the original drawings.

-Jay

dinomartino1

US authentic used to advertise their a2s in the RAAF magazine with a AU1$00 discount to RAAF members, back a while ago though.

CombatWombat

US authentic used to advertise their a2s in the RAAF magazine with a AU1$00 discount to RAAF members, back a while ago though.
Christie's is hands down the best RAAF approved jacket
The guy who is in the store next to Defence Square isn't helpful but you take the good with the bad