• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally got my hands on a MA-1 Buzz Rickson William Gibson

Elgin

After months of looking for a good opportunity — and reading forum posts about flight jackets — I successfully bought the jacket of my dreams. Used, obviously, but for 180 bucks plus shipping, thanks Yahoo Auction, I can't really complain. The first thing that impressed me is the sheer weight of it, much more than my Alpha Industries MA-1 which feels terribly cheap now. I didn't really get what people meant when they mentioned that Buzz Rickson's irregular stitching — but I see it now, and it makes it feel much more authentic. The AI is a size Z but falls way below that BR1180, which I got at a size 36. I imagine that's just how the real MA-1 jackets are supposed to fit, and I really love that higher waist bottom.

Now I have a couple of small snags with it. The ribs' black color are faded — but that comes with age, and there's nothing much that can be done about it. The fabric is kind of itchy, though. I don't know if, again, it's all due to aging, but I can definitely feel it.
Does anyone have a tip on lubricating the zipper? It's quite hard to pull out when unzipping it at the bottom. Other than that, it's a wonderful jacket. I'm getting a Bronson L-2a jacket in a couple of days for the upcoming summertime and I'll be able to make a full comparison for myself, hahah.
d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg

Dany McDonald

Graphite powder or pencil is efficient for zipper lubrication.

Good catch on the MA1! I'd go Buzz of Mccoy for the L2 especially if you are impressed with Buzz. If you you are keen on originality or just a real vintage feel MC will not disappoint.

Dany

Nickb123

Nice. Be aware that the Gibson line, I believe, are all made slightly longer, so check measurements for the new ones.

Btw I’m 6’2” and the standard Buzz L-2s fit me perfectly, so probably not to worry. Wearing mine now.

MikeyB-17

I had a Gibson B-10, my knits were exactly the same. That’s a good deal you got for one of those. Have you read the book?

B-Man2

Nicely done !
Congrats on finding a long sought after jacket.
Run a graphite pencil up and down the zipper teeth a few times, being careful not to color the zipper tape . That should loosen it up a bit.

Oh and BTW Welcome to the VLJ forum! Glad to have you here.

Elgin

Nice. Be aware that the Gibson line, I believe, are all made slightly longer, so check measurements for the new ones.

Btw I’m 6’2” and the standard Buzz L-2s fit me perfectly, so probably not to worry. Wearing mine now.
Oh I wasn't complaining, the size is great! I know the MA-1 and L-2s are made both in Regular and Long models, but I'm fine with the one I got.
I had a Gibson B-10, my knits were exactly the same. That’s a good deal you got for one of those. Have you read the book?
Pattern Recognition is a great book!
Yess I'm a huge Gibson fan so it only felt natural I get that jacket sooner or later!
Graphite powder or pencil is efficient for zipper lubrication.

Good catch on the MA1! I'd go Buzz of Mccoy for the L2 especially if you are impressed with Buzz. If you you are keen on originality or just a real vintage feel MC will not disappoint.

Dany
Nicely done !
Run a graphite pencil up and down the zipper teeth a few times, being careful not to color the zipper tape . That should loosen it up a bit.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try it out soon.
Nicely done !

Thanks a lot!

Now not to sound to whiny but boy is the fabric itchy on the ribs. Is there any way to soften it? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

Flightengineer

Nice jacket, although it would be more like a B-15C mod given the blue color.
If you are concerned about balls of wool that have rolled up, you can use a pellet clipper, but very careful. This device costs a penny but is very effective.