• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally A Label!

hacker

[quote="tamoko"
I know, but on photo probably theater made MOD.
I think sometimes to replace mouton on leather on one of my original M-422A too.[/quote]

Sorta like mouton on an A-2....ain't kosher! :lol:

Hacker

tamoko

hacker said:
[quote="tamoko"
I know, but on photo probably theater made MOD.
I think sometimes to replace mouton on leather on one of my original M-422A too.

Sorta like mouton on an A-2....ain't kosher! :lol:

Hacker[/quote]
:lol:
Don't know much about kosher but i know M-422A is not really INTERMEDIATE

A

Anonymous

can someone (Asian) translate this thread or run it through babelfish . It's fucking incomprehensible. But yes I agree not to not agree that it's an AN 3 or 3 or J.

hacker

Tranquility Base said:
can someone (Asian) translate this thread or run it through babelfish . It's f*cking incomprehensible. But yes I agree not to not agree that it's an AN 3 or 3 or J.

Sorry, ya had to be there.......

Babblin'

asiamiles

hacker said:
IMGP1961.jpg
As you can see it was an M442a without the mouton. All the other features i.e. wind flap, inside pocket, Talon zip, etc. were the same.

If that is an ANJ-3, and it looks to exactly the same as an ANJ-3a, then the jacket sometimes referred to on here as an ANJ-3 (with ep's and A-2 style windflap) is not an ANJ-3 but just a civilian jacket that occasionally got worn by military personnel. Correct? Can anyone ID the maker from the info given by the seller?

Swing

hacker said:
I don't doubt that some were made as a test run. And probably a few got "loose" out on the line, but I just don't believe they were ever officially distributed. There's always an oddball jacket floating around that was used by crew members, but that's as far as many of them go.

Hacker

Obviously some jackets were made, if nothing more than testing purposes, and would have been issued to someone at some point for evaluation (most likely a statside flyer). The fact that they seem to be as rare or rarer than A-1s (at least we can find multiple photo examples of A-1s) leads me to believe if there were any contracts awards for AN-J-3s, they were extremely small (less than 1000 jackets).

I highly doubt the USAAF contracted for any AN-J-3s, and only had test samples. Reasoning behind this? Spring of '43 they had plenty of A-2s in the pipeline, and lots of A-2 contracts that hadn't been completed. Also, the B-10 was in development. That was the jacket they intended to replace the A-2. No reason for them to order AN-J-3s.

I believe Charles that he had a Navy contract AN-J-3. I don't doubt the Navy had a small contract for these jackets. And it wouldn't suprise me that at some point shortly after recieving the AN-J-3s, they were converted to AN-J-3As.

~Swing

SteveN

Gentlemen,

This has been a very interesting discussion. The AN-J-3 is exactly the jacket I am looking for, and on one of the threads a while back asked about it "Bi-swing back, leather collar".

Does anyone make a good repo AN-J-3? What's the difference with the 'A' model?

Cheers,
- Steve

zoomer

The -3A was identical to the other Navy jackets, M-422A before and AN-6552 just after. Same specs, different pieces of paper in a different file folder at BuAer.

The -3, with epaulets and outside zipflap, is reproed by Gibson & Barnes.
Aero used to do one but appear to have taken it off their website.

SteveN

So what jacket appears in Asiamiles picture? No epaulets, an internal wind flap and a leather collar?
Seems like we've got three versions here:

1. -3A
2. -3 with epaulets and external wind flap
3. -3 without epaulets and internal wind flap (pictured above).

Anyone seen originals of all these variants?

Regards,
- Steve

hacker

SteveN said:
So what jacket appears in Asiamiles picture? No epaulets, an internal wind flap and a leather collar?
Seems like we've got three versions here:

1. -3A
2. -3 with epaulets and external wind flap
3. -3 without epaulets and internal wind flap (pictured above).

Anyone seen originals of all these variants?

Regards,
- Steve

In the photo I posted, it states it is a AN-J-3, and most likely a test model. The -3A model is the same but with a mouton collar and was a production model that began in late 1943. There is no version that you state in example 2 that was ever a military issue jacket......

Hacker

asiamiles

Yes, AFAIK there is no evidence that a jacket with ep's and A-2 style windflap is anything other than a civilian jacket. How did it become known as a ANJ-3? Perhaps simply because a couple of companies mentioned made repro's that they mistakenly gave this spec to?

SteveN

Say, didn't Seniko have one of these jackets a while back? I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think he did post some detailed pics of it. Can anyone get to the old forum to check that thread? If he did post, it's hard to believe he would not have posted one of the label, if it had one.

- SteveN

Peter Graham

SteveN said:
Can anyone get to the old forum to check that thread? If he did post, it's hard to believe he would not have posted one of the label, if it had one.
As far as I remember it did not have a label.

STEVE S.

here's a few pics of mine. it's for sure a w&g & is identical in every way to the one on john's cd. still a mystery as the liner was cut out along with any tags when i got it. the liner was the reddish cotton same as some of the a-2's, not the rayon navy type. i have all the materials to rebuild & hoped to have completed to wear this winter, but 16hr days in the shop have killed any hope of working on it. maybe next year!
stevesstuff266.jpg

stevesstuff270.jpg

stevesstuff268.jpg

stevesstuff274.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
SteveN said:
Say, didn't Seniko have one of these jackets a while back? I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think he did post some detailed pics of it. Can anyone get to the old forum to check that thread? If he did post, it's hard to believe he would not have posted one of the label, if it had one.

- SteveN

Senicko's posts were all deleted, but here's a picture ...

(I must have saved it, because she's such a cute jacket).

WESPANJ3.jpg

A

Anonymous

There was also some discussion of this WASP's jacket over on the FL some time back.

SteveN

hacker said:

So, wanting one of these, and having read this thread through, there's still one question remaining:

Has anyone ever seen one of these jackets with a label? No epps or external windflap? Essentially it appears to be the M-422A with a leather collar. If that's the case, it should be easy enough to have RMNZ reproduce one.

Cheers,
- SteveN