• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Film Irvin

Andrew

Geir said:
rich said:
As for the Dambusters, if they choose to advocate complete authenticity, they're going to be walking a tightrope, the jackets will be the least of their worries................

I think Guy Gibson flew the Dambusters mission in his shirtsleeves so in this film there should not be any flight jacket problems at all.

Indeed he did. These were taken minutes before takeoff. Gibson's aircraft was in Formation 1 and was launched at 9.25pm on the 16 May and conducted the flight at tree top level so Battledress was sufficient for most. I can't imagine that with the expert advice they have received and personal interest of Jackson that they would add them in just for effect.

gibson01.jpg

gibson02.jpg

It is easy in hindsight to pick holes and as with everything in life we get better at it over time, so it's only natural that films have the potential to become more accurate each time (look at Goodwear for instance!). However it is a shame that back when they made the classic war movies of the '60's that they didn't use more real kit considering that it was still plentiful and cheap.

The BoB is a fav of mine too, however Christopher Plummer's floppy armed Irvinstein is a travesty. The FAA type C helmets with MkVIII goggles and made up cotton type D o2 masks can be forgiven. 633 Sq with equal opportunity casting including an example of Airman from almost every Commonwealth Country is a classic but relies too heavily on repeated shots of models. But as Rich mentioned it does have in common with BoB and several others great scores by Ron Goodwin- and Rich I must correct you- it's actually da da da da da da dar dar....

rich

.......... great scores by Ron Goodwin- and Rich I must correct you- it's actually da da da da da da dar dar....[/quote]

:D :D :D :D :D